Author Topic: MeTekillot mental illness thread  (Read 7748 times)

MeTekillot

Re: MeTekillot mental illness thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
I mean it's an interpretation of reality that's not strictly in-line with the consensus of mentally "healthy" people or an interpretation of reality that leads you to hurt yourself(or those around you) or your chances(or the ones of those around you)  for a good future, more like.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

MeTekillot

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Singular consciousness is an extended chemical reaction. Consciousness is a self-perpetuating illusion in the beaker of your skull.

* MeTekillot hits blunt.

MeTekillot

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
Brains are just computers made of meat that nature put together by accident.

Yam

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
This all sounds fairly sane now. You're cured. We did it, GDB.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
So, just catching up here, but as someone also recently (finally) diagnosed as bipolar and trying out new medications...

It sounds like the Lamictil might not be working for you in a way that is giving you positive benefits.  It might be time to call your psychiatrist, honestly bring up your issues, and try something else.  Because issues with sleep were a huge problem for me that made everything else worse, we ended up going with a low-dose antidepressant, setraline, combined with an anti-anxiety medication that has a mood-stabilizing effect, clonezapam.  End result, I'm not depressed all the time and I am mostly able to sleep except when I'm really seriously in a hypomanic way, and then I still have trouble falling asleep, but can get there eventually.

The combo has been really working for me in terms of sleeping and not being a depressed sack of depressed shitty shit thinking about suicide all the time, but it doesn't entirely modulate my moods.  Which I honestly think is a good thing.  I like being able to FEEL THINGS.  The bringing up issues and concerns with medications thing has been hard for me, but I found a psychiatrist who treats me like a fucking adult and takes my issues seriously.  It's my life after all.

Anyway, I feel for you.  I'm hoping you are able to find something that works for you.

To whoever asked about lithium, my psychiatrist said they tend to go with Lamictil over lithium for bipolar II when I asked about it (my first fiance had bipolar I and was on lithium so I was curious and asked).  It tends to not destroy the kidneys as hard.

MeTekillot

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »
I am pretty attached to my kidneys...

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
...and I'm a fan of heavy metal.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

MeTekillot

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »
I'm having trouble articulating what I mean exactly, but I have trouble differentiating when I'm over (or under?) reacting to a situation based on my skewed expectations from a troubled upbringing versus when I'm just over (or under) reacting to a situation because my emotions are just on the fray from chemical imbalance

Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2017, 12:45:42 AM »
Lithium is exceedingly unlikely to "destroy your kidneys."  Long term use can result in decrease in renal function, but it's easily detectable with a basic test, and it happens so slowly that the recommendation is only for like, a yearly screening.

Also, using lamictal for bipolar type 2 has less to do with kidney dysfunction and more to do with the fact that since bipolar 2 is characterized by hypomania+depression, a mood stabilizer isn't as necessary a component of treatment, because the hypomania isn't the problem.

If you are in the throes of acute mania, it is unlikely that lamictal is going to help.  Maintenance therapy--maybe.  Acute phase--no.

I'd like to reiterate that the consequences of untreated or poorly treated mental illness are potentially FAR more catastrophic to your life than mild renal impairment.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:00:43 AM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 12:50:19 PM »
I'm only repeating what my psychiatrist said.  I don't have a medical degree so I tend to rely on people who do for statements like that.

It might have been influenced by the fact that my dad and nephew both suffer from kidney disease, so it already runs in my family.

Anyway, my point remains: Mek, if your medication isn't working for you in a way you need it to, you should talk to your psychiatrist and make some changes.  Just bring up what the Lamictil is doing to you, and if they think you're overreacting, or still in a space where you're getting used to the medication, they'll tell you.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
My GP prescribed clonezapam a while back and it fixed mood swings but I felt like I was half-asleep all the time.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

MeTekillot

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
i have mental illness from chemical imbalance and upbringing ina dysfunctional family

"wow, you complain a lot, go see a therapist, internet isn't your blog"

head hurts from my migraines and joints hurt from my arthritis

"god bless!!! hope you feel better soon hun"

Yam

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
i have mental illness from chemical imbalance and upbringing ina dysfunctional family

Dat mental illness stigma. I only poke fun as a defense mechanism. This is actually one of my current favorite threads and I hope you keep it going.

Mental health is a real pain in the ass, man. It's hard to talk about it thoroughly with professionals because they can only give you so much time and in almost all cases even an hour a week isn't going to cut it. You can get some more help by reading, but that just doesn't do the same thing as talk therapy. You can try talking with regular people, but often they wont sympathize because they don't get it or they have their own shit going on or whatever. Regardless I think a social support network is key. I think this is a good thread.

It's also kind of a double edged sword because we all want to chime in and help. That's always kind of dangerous but I doubt you'd listen to our truly bad advice. And hell, Synthesis is a doctor.

I'm curious what your stat card/history is. Want to give us a run down? Feel free to tell me to fuck off - I'm just a curious voyeur and this is your thread.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
I'm really curious if you've mentioned this thread to your therapist.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Riev

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

I've literally been unhappy for so long that I'm not entirely sure what happy feels like. Even when I laugh, because someone is genuinely funny to me, people make fun of my laugh and I shut it down.

"Man you complain a lot, just be happy".

I feel you man. I may not have any idea what its like to be you, but I'm an expert at what its like to be me. And its rough going when nobody around you wants to "deal with your shit" or expects particular behaviors out of -YOU- to satisfy their own view of the world.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:49 PM »

I've literally been unhappy for so long that I'm not entirely sure what happy feels like. Even when I laugh, because someone is genuinely funny to me, people make fun of my laugh and I shut it down.

"Man you complain a lot, just be happy".

I feel you man. I may not have any idea what its like to be you, but I'm an expert at what its like to be me. And its rough going when nobody around you wants to "deal with your shit" or expects particular behaviors out of -YOU- to satisfy their own view of the world.

I'm sorry, Riev. That's not fair to you, or anyone who gets treated like that. Despite what seems like popular opinion, you are under no obligations to please anyone with your behavior.

MeTekillot

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
I've been the sole support of a friend with mental issues to match mine and that role is completely exhausting so I don't fault people for not wanting to deal with crazy persons extensively. The milennial trend of "ghosting" on someone to communicate you don't want to talk to them anymore, however, I find cowardly and shitty.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »
I've been the sole support of a friend with mental issues to match mine and that role is completely exhausting so I don't fault people for not wanting to deal with crazy persons extensively. The milennial trend of "ghosting" on someone to communicate you don't want to talk to them anymore, however, I find cowardly and shitty.

Is it so wrong to say, 'I'm sorry, I'm overburdened, I need some space or time?' I don't like ghosting.

Save that shit for family, where it belongs.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

Warning. Someone has gifted Raptor Dan with a bottle of peach flavored Vodka.

Shit will get real.

MeTekillot

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »
Psychiatrist recommended upping Lamictal dose.

MeTekillot

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 08:30:40 PM »
Also thinking about it I might have paranoid delusions of other people's perceptions of me and of my perception of self.

Yam

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »

Yam

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:04 PM »
How paranoid are we talking?

MeTekillot

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
People have told me I'm paranoid on several occasions but I always just shrugged it off.

EDIT: And I've gotten depressed enough that I've lost touch with reality. Have never lost touch with reality from mania, though.

EDIT: EDIT: And I used to have panic attacks before I got on medication.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:59:49 PM by MeTekillot »

MeTekillot

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »