Another Torrential Horsepile AKA Reiloth Bad Idea #42: Change Karma

Started by Reiloth, December 22, 2016, 12:32:08 PM

Quote from: Synthesis on December 23, 2016, 11:18:56 PM
Quote from: Jingo on December 23, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
I'm kind of wondering if staff see the benefits of subclassing all the non-mundanes yet. Did the new system work as intended? Will there be tweaks moving forward?

I don't think enough time has elapsed for players to have fully explored the potential of the new system.  It takes a long, long time for mundane primary guilds to max out.  I doubt there are very many who have even approached it thus far.  Making assessments based on fully-branched magick subguild with scrub-level primary is pretty useless.

Even I can only comment on one particular combination.  When fully branched (as far as I can tell), the magick subguild has some good synergies that make the primary guild far more dangerous than a pure mundane primary, but nowhere near as dangerous as the previous full magick guild could be.  However, the subguild magick means overall the character is far better at being a realistic individual, rather than being a creepy glass cannon.

Burglar + water elementalist corruption is literally a combination so gamebreakingly powerful that even defilers from ye olde days weep in envy. The combination of one skill from the primary guild and one spell is just like.. assassin++++++++++++++++

Quote from: Lutagar on December 24, 2016, 03:27:00 AM
Burglar + water elementalist corruption is literally a combination so gamebreakingly powerful that even defilers from ye olde days weep in envy. The combination of one skill from the primary guild and one spell is just like.. assassin++++++++++++++++

That's the thing with the new elementalist subguilds... I like them, but they encourage min-maxing because certain magick subguilds just work so much better with certain mundane guilds. The spell selection from the subguild is so limited that choosing the wrong 'combination' can put you at a disadvantage compared to the min-maxers. I think Synthesis (?) mentioned in a different thread that many subguild spells are very situational, and I suspect the more versatile / broadly useful elementalist subguilds (hello, Whiran_Travel!) will be FAR more popular than others.

Here's me derailing a thread again. But hey, someone else started it!  :P

Quote from: Lutagar on December 24, 2016, 03:27:00 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on December 23, 2016, 11:18:56 PM
Quote from: Jingo on December 23, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
I'm kind of wondering if staff see the benefits of subclassing all the non-mundanes yet. Did the new system work as intended? Will there be tweaks moving forward?

I don't think enough time has elapsed for players to have fully explored the potential of the new system.  It takes a long, long time for mundane primary guilds to max out.  I doubt there are very many who have even approached it thus far.  Making assessments based on fully-branched magick subguild with scrub-level primary is pretty useless.

Even I can only comment on one particular combination.  When fully branched (as far as I can tell), the magick subguild has some good synergies that make the primary guild far more dangerous than a pure mundane primary, but nowhere near as dangerous as the previous full magick guild could be.  However, the subguild magick means overall the character is far better at being a realistic individual, rather than being a creepy glass cannon.

Uh...doubt it.  Unless they've added some new mysterious spell that I've never run into.

At any rate, there's no way a "sorc of old" would be jealous about any burglar/whatever.  I mean...it's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Bugatti Veyron.  I mean, yeah, a Fiesta sounds great if all you got is a damn bicycle, but uh...yeah.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 24, 2016, 06:49:56 PM
That's the thing with the new elementalist subguilds... I like them, but they encourage min-maxing because certain magick subguilds just work so much better with certain mundane guilds. The spell selection from the subguild is so limited that choosing the wrong 'combination' can put you at a disadvantage compared to the min-maxers. I think Synthesis (?) mentioned in a different thread that many subguild spells are very situational, and I suspect the more versatile / broadly useful elementalist subguilds (hello, Whiran_Travel!) will be FAR more popular than others.

Here's me derailing a thread again. But hey, someone else started it!  :P

The favorite primary guilds are the same favorite primary guilds for pure mundanes, honestly.

Primary ranger is so generally versatile for staying away from civilization like a rogue magicker probably wants to do that almost every non-gemmed, non-tribal 'gicker is going to be primary ranger.  Hell, most gemmers nowadays are probably rolling rangers, because of primary guild versatility, and because it lets them quit out beyond the gates when they have spells active.

Most subguild 'gicker 'rinthers are going to pick assassin...again, because of primary guild versatility.

There are very, very few spells that synergize well with a particular mundane primary, because every spell in the game was -designed- to be fucking bodacious without any mundane skills at all.  If anything, it's the stat boost and defense spells that synergize.  Everything else is just like...okay...

In fact, there are quite a few spells that are useless now because they relied on synergies with other spells that are no longer part of the split subguild.

Further, it's too early to even get into a min-max vs. karma-value discussion, because nobody has had enough time to play with every fully-branched subguild with every fully-branched primary guild.  It's barely more than theorycrafting at this point.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Ever since the change I actually haven't come across a single 'spamcaster' because, obviously, mages are no longer 85% a spell-list with maybe a crafting or the hunter subguild. That to me is worth it. I can't tell you what a fucking pain in the ass it is to try to tell someone to stop spamcasting and they won't listen.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I haven't seen a spamcaster since like, 2005.  :o

But if there are spamcasters, they'll spamcast regardless of whether they have 10 spell or 30.

Yeah, and we, the players, aren't really the RP police. If someone is doing something you think is fishy or dumb, send a player complaint.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~