Discussion of some changes to criminal code

Started by Nathvaan, December 18, 2016, 06:33:07 AM

Thank you for the update, may I never need to invoke this code on my PCs!

So long as the "look book" vs "read book" issue has granularity of some kind, I think its fine. Typically, if you're holding a book, someone's going to want to get a Templar involved anyway. This seems more of a "Merchant Houses, watch your ass" sort of thing.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 19, 2016, 10:26:47 AM
Heh, interesting. I wonder if people who say they "hear words" in their heads when they read are some kind of vestigial evolutionary holdover of lip movements while reading.

It's funny, I hear words in my head when I read. Am I an evolutionary holdover?!?!?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Love dis shit right here.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

OK, some actual questions about the Luir's Crime Code aspect of the changelog.

1. What rank of Kuraci has the ability to imprison people, in the Fist and in the Agent/Merchant Branch? Do all family members, regardless of rank, have the ability to pardon/imprison?

2. Will the NPC kerfuffle be alleviated as well? Is this what is referenced with the 'NPCs who are doing other jobs will not participate'? By kerfuffle I mean NPCs in the tavern attacking PCs who are being subdued/arrested, attacking each other, attacking Kuraci, and so on.

3. Are the laws in Luir's different than in Allanak/Tuluk? Do they have the same timers, say, for theft? I mean codedly, I know that the actual IC laws are different in some respects.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Any progress on that replicating NPC code? That loves to produce twice the soldiers for twice the fun?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Reiloth on December 19, 2016, 11:03:24 AM
OK, some actual questions about the Luir's Crime Code aspect of the changelog.

1. What rank of Kuraci has the ability to imprison people, in the Fist and in the Agent/Merchant Branch? Do all family members, regardless of rank, have the ability to pardon/imprison?

2. Will the NPC kerfuffle be alleviated as well? Is this what is referenced with the 'NPCs who are doing other jobs will not participate'? By kerfuffle I mean NPCs in the tavern attacking PCs who are being subdued/arrested, attacking each other, attacking Kuraci, and so on.

3. Are the laws in Luir's different than in Allanak/Tuluk? Do they have the same timers, say, for theft? I mean codedly, I know that the actual IC laws are different in some respects.

1. This information has been given to the Kuraci so they know who gets what.  As far as who is immune and whom, that hasn't changed at all.  Sorry to be so vague but the average non-kuraci would not know how the structure works but that said it hasn't really changed much.

2. Yes this should be resolved.  The NPCs will swarm but once the criminal is subdued they will not attack. The interactions between different parts of the code with regards to crim code is convoluted at best so it is possible there will be some bugs to work out. 

What I meant by that statement is we added a way to effectively tell a soldier that they are to stay out of arresting/attacking (unless attacked) because they have other duties.  Let the other soldiers handle it. For instance, a gate guard shouldn't leave his post or the well guard shouldn't leave the well because his -one- job is to lower that bucket!  There were ways to make this happen but they were complicated so this more succinct method was added.

3. Currently yes the general function of the code is the same with regards to timers and the likes.  Of course if it needs to be changed in the future that will be possible but for now things are nearly identical.   One obvious difference in the laws remains; It is still totally legal to smoke some spice in Luir's.

Quote from: Jingo on December 19, 2016, 05:40:09 PM
Any progress on that replicating NPC code? That loves to produce twice the soldiers for twice the fun?

I think you are referring to when sometimes NPCs are duplicated?  If so, nope.  This change won't have much if any affect on that 'feature'.

Can I just say how refreshing it is to have the staff of an RPI/MUD react to critiques of code changes with 'That makes sense,'? I mean, I've played a lot of different games, and most of the times when things about code, or the structure of the world gets discussed, too often I see a litany of responses that become more convoluted as the argument goes on, all in attempt to justify something that doesn't seem to fit right, eventually resulting in, typically, the thread being locked after the respective staff just says, 'Well if you don't like it, go some place else.'

I absolutely love the fact that rational discussions can actually be had about the way things work, instead of being instantly shut down or aggressively debated with.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Agreed with Raptor_Dan. Thanks Nathvaan for "listening" to our opinions and "getting" our concerns. I still disagree with the need for a "reading" crim-flag, but I totally appreciate your discussion of the change.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

"There is also the cultural association between those who write and sorcery. Though this isn't really reflected in our docs and is a holdover from Dark Sun where someone who wasn't a noble who had a book/writing was often strung up as a defiler."

So when are sorcerers going to start with reading/writing?

Quote from: Jihelu on December 20, 2016, 05:30:15 AM
"There is also the cultural association between those who write and sorcery. Though this isn't really reflected in our docs and is a holdover from Dark Sun where someone who wasn't a noble who had a book/writing was often strung up as a defiler."

When did they stop?
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: nessalin on December 20, 2016, 10:33:26 AM

When did they stop?

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: nessalin on December 20, 2016, 10:33:26 AM

When did they stop?
Arrested for heresy

December 20, 2016, 06:49:11 PM #63 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:37:30 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA