Send Kudos Sundays!

Started by boog, December 17, 2016, 03:41:55 PM

Hey, guys. Let's start a trend. Let's send at least one kudos every Sunday.

Did you like how someone portrayed their role? Did someone use a few emotes that stole the scene? Are you impressed with someone even if you don't directly interact with them at their ability to bring others into the fold?

Send a kudos! Let your fellow players know they're appreciated!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

You start the best threads!! <3

Kudos make me obscenely happy.  Just sayin.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Seems doable! ;D
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I feel like this'll make "Send Player Complaint Saturdays" awkward.
Whatever happens, happens.

T-Dubs, don't you dare, little boy!

I've sent some. That means you should, too, especially so no one knows I sent them myself, dangit.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

While I really do like this idea, I believe staff has made it clear on the GDB that they do not want a large influx of kudos.  If someone really stands out, absolutely send it Kudos. I truly encourage it and I love them myself... But because of the amount of time it takes to resolve kudos, they did request that we don't just start a mass Kudos Fest.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I don't mind. I'm recruiting Oryx to help resolve these. In a time where players seem to be overly critical and unhappily chiding on the GDB, I'm more than happy to resolve good words imparted by players to their peers, no matter the influx.

Kudos aren't a terrible burden to resolve. You just have to note the account and send an email and resolve the request. Please don't ever feel like you can't send kudos to encourage your fellow players to continue being great.
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

I, Oryx, am here. Ready to distribute your words of love and kindness upon the playerbase during this festive season.

i dont want to cause extra work for staff so i just tell people the mudsex was good over facebook

And here, Oryx and I are, informing you that it's no unnecessary work if you want to comment on how stunning a fellow player's hemote was when you were sheathing your character's proverbial knife. ;)
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

For some reason this reminds me of participation awards. Why, back in my day we had to walk uphill for...
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

Nobody said you had to participate. :) If you don't like it or don't want to tell someone how much you appreciate x, y, or z about them or their play, you don't have to. I think we should all be more appreciative of one another. It's cool if you don't, but it's kinda silly to post that on the thread.
There is only one boog.

I like telling players they've done a good job and that I enjoy playing with them. I also think it acts as encouragement to better RP because it can be motivating to try to live up to things other people see in your RP. I particularly enjoy sending them to new players, or not traditionally exceptional players. I was sent one when I'd only been playing for two months and it really shocked me and made me want to try harder. Maybe that's not always the case, but I don't see anything "participation award" -like about telling people they're fabulous or improving or that you were really impressed by the way they stuck to character or doggedly kept trying to figured out this crazy game.

I equally like sending them to players are clearly an old hand at this game. Maybe you've played so long that you forget other people watch you and enjoy what they see and are constantly taking their cues from players they consider better than they are. And why shouldn't you know that even though we barely interacted that you made me smile every time we did? Or maybe you've just spun up some excellent plot and now you get to know that someone appreciates it.

Kudos should never be necessary, and I don't think that's what Cayuga is getting at. I see them as a tool for making someone happy and proud of themselves and for improving the game by encouraging excellence.

I'm with TLH. I send kudoses when I feel it's appropriate to send them. I don't pick some arbitrary day to decide "oh today is Kudos day." If I have to wait for a specific day to send a Kudos to someone, I might forget who I was going to send it for and why. Or I might decide at that point, that I don't want to send it afterall.

In addition, if people ARE following the "send Kudos Sunday" thread and abiding by it, and I don't get a Kudos that week, I get a tiny little itch in my feelings place, that spot that is still on the playground in 3rd grade waiting for someone to pick me for their team, 4 minutes before recess is over. I don't like that spot, or that feeling.

Lastly, it feels contrived, when you pick an arbitrary day of the week. In fact, it IS contrived. It's the very definition of contrived.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

January 05, 2017, 09:02:36 AM #15 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:07:39 AM by Sedora
Quote from: Cayuga on December 18, 2016, 12:16:16 PM
In a time where players seem to be overly critical and unhappily chiding on the GDB, I'm more than happy to resolve good words imparted by players to their peers, no matter the influx.

Getting here late, I see what you mean there.

I feel like I send kudos better than average as far as regularity goes, because when someone does something that stands out to me - such as reacting like a proper Zalanthan would to finding out their bestie with benefits just manifested, or being realistic to environments like bars (I get so tired of hearing 'this place is dead' just cause other PCs aren't around), or even pouring a realistic amount of emotion into a particular scene, good or bad - I feel like that player maybe wonders if they pulled it off, and I like letting them know they did.

I personally could probably pull off a send Kudos Sunday every week with zero issue, because there are great players new and old who do things that make me go 'that's awesome!' on a regular basis. And if I can find people like that as an off-peak player who typically runs into 8-11 people on the reg tops during my gameplay, I don't think there's much of a problem on a general level.

If you don't like it, don't do. But don't roll in to bubble-bust someone who wants to encourage it.

Contrived seems fine. Sunday is a good day for a reminder before some of us jump back into the work week and fill our heads with RL junk. If you are inspired to write one up any other day, go for it. But when Sunday winds down and you check the gdb before bed, there's a chance seeing this might remind you that you were too caught up in that torture scene with Amos to think at the time about how amazing it was, how he deserves a knuckle bump for setting it up.

I don't think I'd ever sent kudos until this thread started. Not once, not ever. Then I did. My small heart grew three sizes that day.

Sending Kudos is fantastic.
Receiving Kudos is fantastic.
Reminding the playerbase that they can Send Kudos is fantastic.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

There's a phrase 'Don't yuck my yummy'.

It's fine if people want to send kudos to people, it isn't "Player Complaint Tuesday". Arbitrary kindness isn't a terrible thing to cultivate. If you're able to be heartfelt and search your feelings when you write a Kudos, it doesn't matter if you need a reminder to do it or if you spontaneously send it after a good scene, or wait until a PC dies. People appreciate a kind word here and there, and while it isn't necessary, and while it has no lasting benefit, the attitude of 'pay it forward' rather than 'that's contrived' strikes me as more beneficial.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Leave it to these boards to put "Do something nice one day a week!" into a bad light.

HOWEVER -

Quote from: Lizzie on January 05, 2017, 08:23:28 AM
In addition, if people ARE following the "send Kudos Sunday" thread and abiding by it, and I don't get a Kudos that week, I get a tiny little itch in my feelings place, that spot that is still on the playground in 3rd grade waiting for someone to pick me for their team, 4 minutes before recess is over. I don't like that spot, or that feeling.

This. I've gotten maybe 4 kudos in my life, because I'm just not "that" player who really brings the world to life, has staff animating around me, and pushing the interesting and cool plots. Everytime I think "Ooh, another week gone by, no kudos" is kind of like the reinforcement that, hey, you DO suck. So bad people don't even player complaint you, you're just invisivle.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Eh, don't worry about getting kudos. It's like 'needing positive reinforcement to like my job' or other things like that. You're cool, you're a good RPer, nobody 'needs' Kudos. But if we encourage people to give more Kudos, your chances of getting one increase too :)

No one knows if someone else gets a Kudos, so it's sort of a double blind proposition.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

"needing positive reinforcement to like my job" is kind of a misrepresentation of the purpose of positive reinforcement and feedback. Everyone, and I mean everyone, wants to know that the effort they are putting into a project, no matter how big or small, is noticed and understood. I don't "need positive reinforcement" to do my job, but when I get positive reinforcement, I'm notably more likely to engage more with my work, my peers, and have positive interactions if I'm in a client-facing position.

I/O Psychology lesson over.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 05, 2017, 11:32:55 AM
Leave it to these boards to put "Do something nice one day a week!" into a bad light.

HOWEVER -

Quote from: Lizzie on January 05, 2017, 08:23:28 AM

This. I've gotten maybe 4 kudos in my life, because I'm just not "that" player who really brings the world to life, has staff animating around me, and pushing the interesting and cool plots. Everytime I think "Ooh, another week gone by, no kudos" is kind of like the reinforcement that, hey, you DO suck. So bad people don't even player complaint you, you're just invisivle.

And one of those was from me. Go figure. :)

I don't know how this is turning into such a negative post. I kindly ask that you guys stop. You don't have to participate and to be fair, saying that you're not THAT kind of player implies that you have something against another type.

I don't think many of us have staff animating for us. We can push our own cool plots on our own.

I just don't get how this could be turned into such a negative for people. I didn't receive a kudos either in the two weeks or so I've been suggesting we do this for one another.

Please, stop being so negative. :(
There is only one boog.

Keep being a rainbow boog and no one can rain on your parade.

I haven't gotten a kudos in like 2 years. And i'm an awesome player.

I'm -too- awesome for Kudos. There, how about that?!

~Jack Vance~