Author Topic: brazilian jiu jitsu  (Read 2436 times)

650Booger

brazilian jiu jitsu
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:59:48 PM »
anybody else here train?  I just started a few weeks ago, and have quickly become totally obsessed and addicted.  It's so fun, and so good for you!  My entire outlook and mental state has improved more than I expected.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:03:18 PM by 650Booger »
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Riev

Re: brazilian jiu jitsu
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
Negative, but I have been taking Isshin-Ryu Karate for about 6 months now.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

650Booger

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »
Negative, but I have been taking Isshin-Ryu Karate for about 6 months now.

Nice, I assume based on the name that they are teaching you Hadokens and Shoryukens.   ;D
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Riev

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
My junk body can't do a shoryuken.

Its more of a "modern" karate that is about angles and torque moreso than spin and speed.

Armaddict

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 04:19:24 PM »

Is it like this?!

Razzing aside, good for you.  I occasionally do a local Kung Fu class here when I have time, but I'm far from dedicated to it at this point in life.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
I haven't trained since I've been out here recruiting but I used to. I'd like to get back into it whenever I can. I trained for 6-7 years. Are you GI or no gi?
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

650Booger

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »
I haven't trained since I've been out here recruiting but I used to. I'd like to get back into it whenever I can. I trained for 6-7 years. Are you GI or no gi?

both!  train gi 3 times a week, nogi 2 times.  I actually prefer nogi because gripping the gi seems to hurt my fingers.  I'm told I need to tape them.
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Akaramu

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 04:36:57 PM »
I had this Asian workmate who practiced Capoeira with a sword. She was a total badass and very popular with the guys  ;D

boog

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »

both!  train gi 3 times a week, nogi 2 times.  I actually prefer nogi because gripping the gi seems to hurt my fingers.  I'm told I need to tape them.

Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Guess this is the martial arts thread?

I've been learning SCA rattan sword fighting.  I have a whole new appreciation for what it's like to wear armor and train for combat.

Molten Heart

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:40:07 AM by Molten Heart »

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »

I don't know about taping your fingers... but I've never done extensive gi work. Most of my jitz is with 10th Planet.

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

MeTekillot

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »
What is a way to evaluate if a school/instructor for martial arts is good?
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

BadSkeelz

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »
Try and kick his ass
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

MeTekillot

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:02 PM »
But that only tells me whether he can beat up some random queer.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Riev

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
It depends on what you're looking for. How many degrees of a black belt they have, the number of students, if you can find out the turnover rate for new students.

The one I go to has a decent number for the location, but its only one site. The Sensei is really great at modifications and making things work for people with injuries, and especially children with disabilities (a number of children with Autism diagnosed, one with mild cerebral palsy).

However, in college, I watched someone trained in Kenpo and Saito Ryu Ninjitsu spar against someone trained in Isshin Ryu and preternatural abilities ended up deciding much of it. So its really more what a "good" instructor is. Someone who can win you tournaments? Someone who can make you feel more empowered? A hard ass? A softie?

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
I like the 10th Planet gyms because belts (or shirts, since it's no gi only) are earned through success at tournaments. So if you see a guy with rank at 10th it's because he's a proven performer in his division competitively. Not everybody wants to get to that level it's true, but it is as fair a margin of measurement as I've seen.

I've never been promoted because I change gyms frequently (and I probably don't deserve a promotion with how on/off I am.) I'd like to earn my blue shirt before I leave this duty, though. Rumor has it that I'll be moved to Portland pretty soon for 2 years.

Generally when people ask me advice for finding a good gym I have a few rules.
1.) If the instructor or gym doesn't offer you their services for free for a week then they don't have a good product. Go somewhere else.
2.) Try to match your personality with a gym that fits your personal desires. Some gyms are casual like you. Some gyms are professional and only cater to serious future competitors. Don't go to a gym that is misaligned with your goals. Talk about your goals with the instructors and if there is no common ground you're wasting your money.
3.) Find a gym with instructors that have professional competitive experience and that you personally like.
4.) Stick to what gives you personal fulfillment. I only did jitz for years before I did more striking because I personally enjoy it a lot more. If it feels like a chore then don't commit to it. A martial art should excite you and make you invested.