Gladiator Clan

Started by wizturbo, December 14, 2016, 05:26:37 PM

If there was an organized Gladiator clan in Armageddon, how interested would you be in joining it?  (Not mutually exclusive with being a member of another clan)

Extremely interested
Interested
Not sure, I'd need more details
Not interested
I don't want this to exist
December 14, 2016, 05:26:37 PM Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 05:31:30 PM by wizturbo
Trying to gauge the interest of an organized Gladiator clan within the community.   

The goal of this hypothetical organization would be to make being a Gladiator something a PC could pursue as a full profession, similar to what you'd get by joining other clans in-game. 

Assume that the mortality rate for members would be similar to what you get in being a member of any other combat focused clan (i.e. death matches would not be super common, but there would be risks).

December 14, 2016, 06:51:16 PM #1 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:53:36 PM by BadSkeelz
I'd be interested.  I wouldn't mind if the death rates were higher than the average combat clan, either. Say, Byn-on-an-RPT death rate (1-2 for an average weekend show, maybe more for a bigger event). Gladiators shouldn't be worried about grinding their skills, they should be worried about putting on a show. Prioritize defense over offense, so you have time to emote and don't end the fights too soon.

A Gladiator Clan would also be a great place to dump convicted criminal PCs instead of executing or fining. Can't pay the 1000 sid fine? Two (in-game) weeks in the Arena!

I would be interested if I could have a mildly skilled gladiator PC out of chargen.

I wouldn't be interested if I had to grind a combat PC in the Byn just to compete with the 'old timer' Gladiators.

Wouldn't mind high death rates at all.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 14, 2016, 06:53:29 PM
I would be interested if I could have a mildly skilled gladiator PC out of chargen.

I wouldn't be interested if I had to grind a combat PC in the Byn just to compete with the 'old timer' Gladiators.

The Gladiator subguild gives some bonus which would be conducive to this role.

I'm not sure how much the individual gladiators would be in competition with one another, but "old timers vs young scrubs" could be mitigated by having a non-Gladiator Clan Leader be in charge of handicapping. Let them select what equipment each gladiator gets to bring in to a fight, and how many to a team. Arm the new guys with swords and the old veteran with a duskhorn dickwhip. Stuff like that.

Have you been to the bloodball RPT's? They're a clusterfuck both ICly and OOCly. Everyone is free to pursue what they wish, but I don't think this'd interest me very much.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I think this should be a thing, and is something I'd be interested in (gimme a reason to play a warrior, plz), but I still think it should be a subset of Borsail hires which are set aside as non-aides, like the gemmed are for Oash.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: bardlyone on December 14, 2016, 09:26:15 PM
I think this should be a thing, and is something I'd be interested in (gimme a reason to play a warrior, plz), but I still think it should be a subset of Borsail hires which are set aside as non-aides, like the gemmed are for Oash.

I agree, but would still throw convicted felons into the ranks. The above would give Borsail the same kind of PC presence that Oash would, it would give an option for criminals to veered towards, aside from cutting off hands or being executed immediately, "Make it three weeks, trial by combat in the Highlord's Arena", it would give as a continuous source of betting material, and with a clan focused entirely on the Arena, we could focus on, and practice, alleviating the shitstorm of combat messages that get filtered through to the arena audience somehow.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I would see them as an extension/replacement of the Amber Wyverns. The Wyverns would be the trainers, coaches, and referees. Recruitment into the Wyverns might even be an avenue of advancement for long-serving and obedient gladiators.

Now we just need a Fale whorehouse they could recruit from, and each of the 3 PC houses would have a colorful cast of employees.

Could also have multiple houses and clans sponsor a gladiator/team, with the Wyverns in overall control.

Totally, skeelz. And/or fleshing out more about Fale and barding. I know over the past few years there have been attempts to make bards a thing through some avenues w/regard to Fale. I would like to see it be its own venue of hiring where you don't have to be multipurpose aide/bard, and think it would actually make more sense than a whorehouse (re: the recent staff posting about Fale and bards in the music thread). I've already sent some suggestions about the Atrium and musicians being more encouraged in the teahouse. That would serve as a fine vector for Borsail/Fale interests, I would think.

I'd give my right foot, damn near, for watchman tea to be buyable in the Silver Ginka. They have all the other teas. Why not that one? I'd even buy that one. Even if it cost more.

It would also help funnel aspiring musical peepz out of the Gaj - which I've seen people get all pissy about IG more than once. Despite the echo about a musician actually -being- in the Gaj in the vnpc presence there.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: bardlyone on December 14, 2016, 10:09:32 PM
Despite the echo about a musician actually -being- in the Gaj in the vnpc presence there.

A VNPC who promptly gives up. THAT is the atmosphere of the Gaj, and I have seen THAT atmosphere reinforced by NPC's and PC's alike. Just saying.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Thanks for the votes and responses. 

The specifics on how it's organized are something that would need to be grown organically.  I just wanting to see how hungry the player base is for something like this.

Low skill 1 on 1 fights would be a lot of fun.  Plenty of time for theater and everyone could easily watch what's going on.

QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Patuk on December 14, 2016, 08:50:22 PM
Have you been to the bloodball RPT's? They're a clusterfuck both ICly and OOCly. Everyone is free to pursue what they wish, but I don't think this'd interest me very much.

Part of the reason for this is that the bloodball rules are not comprehensive where there's so many situations in a game that even the participants seem to take pause to consider how to proceed.  In the most recent one where they tried to spice things up, the result was that the rules got even more nebulous and hard to follow (though I commend the intent behind it all!).  Another part of this is the arena echo system - it's bad enough when just one person is in there, but when there's whole teams of multiple people each especially all covered up with similar masks moving around and doing things, it's really really difficult to follow.

That said, there have been plenty of successful traditional arena events in the past, and I don't see why a gladiator clan with gladiator PC's couldn't just participate in those sorts of events instead - unmasked 1v1 is easy to follow and easy to cheer, both as a participant and spectator.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Your poll lacks a 'sounds great, but I don't think we have the active player numbers to sustain it' option.

I remember when peak time numbers were 50+ players logged in. Now we have half that. I think we should first focus on whatever will bring our active player numbers back up so all 'standard' clans can get the players they need, too.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on December 15, 2016, 02:28:17 AM
Quote from: Patuk on December 14, 2016, 08:50:22 PM

Part of the reason for this is that the bloodball rules are not comprehensive where there's so many situations in a game that even the participants seem to take pause to consider how to proceed.  In the most recent one where they tried to spice things up, the result was that the rules got even more nebulous and hard to follow (though I commend the intent behind it all!).  Another part of this is the arena echo system - it's bad enough when just one person is in there, but when there's whole teams of multiple people each especially all covered up with similar masks moving around and doing things, it's really really difficult to follow.

That said, there have been plenty of successful traditional arena events in the past, and I don't see why a gladiator clan with gladiator PC's couldn't just participate in those sorts of events instead - unmasked 1v1 is easy to follow and easy to cheer, both as a participant and spectator.

THE BLOODBALL RULES ARE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY

Also the regular gladiator/bloodball get togethers are fantastic examples of player effort aligning with great staff assistance. If people weren't getting something out of them I figure they'd have stopped by now, right? But for spectators - yeah, I imagine it isn't super fun. All the more reason to join a team!

Quote from: Akaramu on December 15, 2016, 07:04:05 AM
Your poll lacks a 'sounds great, but I don't think we have the active player numbers to sustain it' option.

I remember when peak time numbers were 50+ players logged in. Now we have half that. I think we should first focus on whatever will bring our active player numbers back up so all 'standard' clans can get the players they need, too.

I logged in at midnight server time last night and saw 42 people on.  I don't think I agree with your player base size assumption there so I didn't consider it as a potential issue.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on December 15, 2016, 02:28:17 AM
Another part of this is the arena echo system - it's bad enough when just one person is in there, but when there's whole teams of multiple people each especially all covered up with similar masks moving around and doing things, it's really really difficult to follow.

As someone helpfully pointed out.  Brief Combat when spectating in the Arena can be a life saver.  The double echoes are brutal.  Eliminating 50-75% of them can be a godsend.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

December 15, 2016, 11:40:23 AM #17 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:44:57 AM by Akaramu
Quote from: wizturbo on December 15, 2016, 11:26:25 AM
I logged in at midnight server time last night and saw 42 people on.  I don't think I agree with your player base size assumption there so I didn't consider it as a potential issue.

Hmm. Maybe peak time has shifted by a few hours. 3 AM my time used to be way, way busier than it is now. Those 42 probably would have been 60-70 players 3 years ago.

Then again, since Tuluk is closed maybe the lower numbers don't matter that much.

I keep forgetting that Tuluk is gone.  :P

Quote from: Akaramu on December 15, 2016, 11:40:23 AM
Hmm. Maybe peak time has shifted by a few hours. 3 AM my time used to be way, way busier than it is now.

I think Peak time has shifted from 8-10pm US East Cost to 8-10pm US West Coast over the last couple of years.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on December 15, 2016, 11:48:08 AM
Quote from: Akaramu on December 15, 2016, 11:40:23 AM
Hmm. Maybe peak time has shifted by a few hours. 3 AM my time used to be way, way busier than it is now.

I think Peak time has shifted from 8-10pm US East Cost to 8-10pm US West Coast over the last couple of years.

It does seem that way to me as well.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Rathustra on December 15, 2016, 08:56:39 AM

Also the regular gladiator/bloodball get togethers are fantastic examples of player effort aligning with great staff assistance. If people weren't getting something out of them I figure they'd have stopped by now, right? But for spectators - yeah, I imagine it isn't super fun. All the more reason to join a team!

I too have a -very- dificult time actually following the action on the sands, and have to just pretend in my RP that I know what's going on.  The repeated echoes are too much to follow.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on December 15, 2016, 03:26:01 PM
Quote from: Rathustra on December 15, 2016, 08:56:39 AM

I too have a -very- dificult time actually following the action on the sands, and have to just pretend in my RP that I know what's going on.  The repeated echoes are too much to follow.

Is this more to do with the way combat works in Armageddon, the masks or just how any sort of frantic activity would play out with our codebase?

The double echo of the spectator stands makes it the most difficult, that'd be priority #1 I'd say.

Past that, its just the "what is a chraden" and "so they moved east... to the.. 2nd..?" and its a bit difficult to understand, thematically.

Most of us are used to how the combat comes up, but when it doubles up, it can get very confusing.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Pretty much how any sort of frantic activity plays out.  It's just amplified by the echoes in the Arena.  At big combat RPT's I pretty much never know what's going on either, which is probably why I avoid leading them these days.  Way too stressful, especially when innocent bystanders die to code quirkiness.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but if combat moved at 50% of the rate it does now I wouldn't complain at all.  Hell, I might even prefer 25% speed, but I wouldn't know until I tried it on for size first.

Quote from: wizturbo on December 15, 2016, 03:59:39 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old, but if combat moved at 50% of the rate it does now I wouldn't complain at all.  Hell, I might even prefer 25% speed, but I wouldn't know until I tried it on for size first.

Hell yes. More time to emote instead of frantically hovering over the flee or disengage buttons (if there were buttons).

Maybe with an option to speed up battles that are taking really, really long.