Oil Tradegoods completed and live.

Started by John, December 04, 2016, 02:37:52 AM

Thanks for the hardwork Akariel!

Any info on what this project was?  :D

I've noticed these. How do they work?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

I have no idea what this means.  :-\
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I imagine you pour them onto un-likeables and light a torch?

Colorful smells of burning flesh depend on the amount you spend?

Come on, we've all been asking for this for a while ;)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Got it.

The syntax is 'USE OIL SELF'. You might need a strigil to do the job, though. ;)

(Also 'USE OIL' should work, since I don't believe you're actually able to specify a target.)

Quote from: Akariel on December 04, 2016, 04:11:42 AM
The syntax is 'USE OIL SELF'. You might need a strigil to do the job, though. ;)

(Also 'USE OIL' should work, since I don't believe you're actually able to specify a target.)

Thank you. Is this anywhere on the homepage help files?

<3
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on December 04, 2016, 05:10:53 AM
Quote from: Akariel on December 04, 2016, 04:11:42 AM

Thank you. Is this anywhere on the homepage help files?

It is not, in the same way that 'perfume' doesn't have it's own helpfile. I guess we could look into making one, but I'm not sure it's really needed at this point.

Thank you for this serendipitous addition. It's very appreciated, and I'm sure it will contribute to many player's enjoyment for a good, looong time.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on December 04, 2016, 03:13:24 AM
I've noticed these. How do they work?

hint: you'll need a strigil.

Think of them as soap+perfume combined.

Here's some background reading.  tl;dri version: in olden days, Romans would use strigils and oils to smell less gross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strigil
http://www.thegloss.com/beauty/beauty-trends-from-history-the-strigil-117/

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I think if you coat yourself in oil in Zalanthas you're going to get coated in red dust and end up looking like a powdered donut.

Quote from: Miradus on December 06, 2016, 05:55:44 PM
I think if you coat yourself in oil in Zalanthas you're going to get coated in red dust and end up looking like a powdered donut.

Which is where the strigil comes in - to scrape the oil back off, and some of the surface filth of the skin with it.
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

It seems to last about as long as perfumes. If less.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2016, 06:40:51 PM
It seems to last about as long as perfumes. If less.

I love it.

1. Governed by a skill much more common than floristry (perfumes).  (Although I do wish floristry were more common.)

2. There's three uses per.

3. The smells (sniff self output) change over time!

Admittedly, strigilin' is a more laborious process than dabbing on some perfume, but I like to play FTB with strigil, unless, you know, it's gonna get goooood.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I don't FTB that smooth, luscious sculpting!

I think its all cheap enough that the short-lasting is fine. And so many different smells! (The sniff output changing over time happens to perfumes as well). I think the better part is its not "mashed up plants and water and now you smell good". It kind of fits the structure of the scene a bit.

Will people use it? Probably not that often. But I do like the idea of it being a "bath" without being a bath. There you go, Bynners. Fifty coins, no reason for a Runner to smell like shit at graduation.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

December 06, 2016, 07:23:34 PM #18 Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:30:26 PM by Akariel
To note:
-Each region has it's own specific oils, bordering regions oils might randomly end up in the shops. (So Morin's oils might end up in Luir's, for instance.) There are 9 unique oils, not including the raw.
-Every piece of the process is craft-able. From making the bottles, to the raw oil, to the finished product. Various skills (including floristry) are made use of.
-Every oil has two versions: A clay bottle version and a glass bottle version. You will have to find the glass bottles on your own, however. This makes 18 non-unique oils, 20 including the raws.
-A new tool type was created: The oil press. These are also craftable, but are required for part of the process.

Killer addition.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Akariel on December 06, 2016, 07:23:34 PM
To note:
-Each region has it's own specific oils, bordering regions oils might randomly end up in the shops. (So Morin's oils might end up in Luir's, for instance.) There are 9 unique oils, not including the raw.
-Every piece of the process is craft-able. From making the bottles, to the raw oil, to the finished product. Various skills (including floristry) are made use of.
-Every oil has two versions: A clay bottle version and a glass bottle version. You will have to find the glass bottles on your own, however. This makes 18 non-unique oils, 20 including the raws.
-A new tool type was created: The oil press. These are also craftable, but are required for part of the process.

This is killer, and not just because I have a deep and abiding love of flowers, oils, and grooming stuff IC. <3 Between this and meatcraft, you may well be like, my favorite of current staff (other than Nathvaan, because seriously, jayzus, I know how much time and effort it can take to implement color on muds, and he's still bugfixing it too with this only the first pass). So much love. <3

This sounds amazing, judging from the above posts, though I've yet to see it in-game.

Great work!

So are we all supposed to roleplay that this has been happening all along and is mainstream? Or is it a new thing? When I encountered this in game I hadn't yet read anything on the boards and my character treated it as new. I also had to use google and ended up thinking that common people in zalanthas wouldn't do this.

I think just as important as in game help on syntax would be a bit of cultural knowledge available as help strigil and help oil.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on December 06, 2016, 11:38:46 PM
So are we all supposed to roleplay that this has been happening all along and is mainstream? Or is it a new thing? When I encountered this in game I hadn't yet read anything on the boards and my character treated it as new. I also had to use google and ended up thinking that common people in zalanthas wouldn't do this.

I think just as important as in game help on syntax would be a bit of cultural knowledge available as help strigil and help oil.

It's a fairly new process that you can find out the history of through the game. Multiple clans and players were used to bring this new technology to the foreground for players, and they should have at least part of the story for you.

Also, strigils were available in Tuluk, and the Kadians still sell oils.

To note:

Went from uninterested to super impressed in one post.

To note:
Thanks for the info :) I'd just resigned myself to not knowing what it was and feeling a bit silly for not knowing. This is much more exciting now that I know what y'all are going on about! Great to see players have been involved in it's rise to prominence as well!