The "One PC Limit"

Started by Reiloth, December 03, 2016, 06:30:11 PM

December 13, 2016, 07:27:14 PM #100 Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:30:42 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: boog on December 13, 2016, 07:12:47 PM
I think that the multiple character thing is an exception as opposed to a rule for most staff. Are you gonna ask for Stata as to which people on staff play? Who play one character? Who play more than one? Would it make the player base happy to know these things?

I feel like that doesn't have a whole bunch to do with this discussion. Staff are staff because they're trusted to be staff. Players are players and are only allowed one character. Players don't have the same trust placed in them, simply by being players. I'm sure there are checks and balances in place.

Sure -- I guess i'm saying that Staff aren't some other race of being. They're humans too -- And they seem quite capable of separating information they've learned on Staff from information their PCs will know. They aren't some race of Reptilian Overlords. Is there this assumption that Staff are 'better' players than players who play the game? I mean, I guess that is true in one sense, but there are plenty of great players, incredibly trustworthy, who never have and never will apply for Staff.

The point i'm making as well is -- We as players have no idea who Staff is playing. Which sort of flies in the face of 'knowing someone's playing an alt' or 'they're acting on information they found out through illicit means'. It's sort of like a conspiracy theory that has no basis in reality, beyond a complete lack of trust in the playerbase to be mature.

I'd never ask Staff to divulge who they are playing, or how many PCs they are playing. I don't think that's important to the discussion. However I do think that making the distinction between a Staff member and a Player is important to the discussion. Staff (as an exception) are allowed to play multiple PCs. This hasn't broken the game so far.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I know staff have some rules in place for their characters, at least. No playing sponsored roles is one of them. I'm not sure if there's others, but I imagine the oversight is much better. Still, I will say that, yes, the conflict of interest is possible, and yes, staff should prooooobably stick to having just the one character around also.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

December 13, 2016, 07:46:23 PM #102 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:40:20 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on December 13, 2016, 07:46:23 PM
And sometimes people have issues with staff characters allegedly taking advantage of their IC info knowledge.

How can they have issue if they don't know who a Staff PC is?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

TINFOIL HAT SHADOWBOARD SPECULATION
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

People can't really know outside of staffers telling players about that in confidence. Regardless, this is an issue already, and making it worse is probably a bad thing.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I fail to see how it's an issue beyond a perceived issue, like a fabricated issue. It actually -isn't- an issue because we don't know who Staff plays, and the game is fine.

~Jack Vance~

Players can only play one PC because we want them to have one perspective on the world at a time. One perspective on plots, characters, locations, and so on. We want them to be in one place at a time.

Staff already have omniscience in the game through the ability to go anywhere in the game and monitor anything. Playing multiple PCs makes no effective difference in what we can see. In any case, the vast majority of staff who play mortal PCs have one active character. The ability to have additional characters is usually utilized for testing purposes, or applying for a new character while waiting for one to be stored, or to simply try something new.

December 13, 2016, 09:54:54 PM #108 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:40:13 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Nergal on December 13, 2016, 08:15:47 PM
or to simply try something new.

Catgirls, amirite?
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.