another karma question

Started by 650Booger, November 28, 2016, 05:26:00 PM

Hello all!  this should be an easy answer.

Lets say I want to play a mul sorcerer

The mul needing 7 karma, the sorcerer needing 8...

how much karma would this require? 8 or 15?  or is it even possible.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Helpfile reads:

Notes:

Muls are a karma-required race and not available to new players. They require seven karma due to their power and difficulty in roleplaying.

Mul magick-users no longer exist due to careful breeding techniques.

Mul applications that are tied in with a clan should be run past that clan's staff before applying.

I don't know if that extends to sorcery, as that's a seperate beast from elementalism. I would imagine finding a backstory for how your mul learned sorcery would be daunting, to say the least.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Nice!  that's good to know.  the example I used was the most extreme I could think of, the nitty gritty of my question is, if you want to play multiple karma-required roles on a single character, do you add the karma up, or just go with the highest.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on November 28, 2016, 05:31:50 PM
Helpfile reads:

Notes:

Muls are a karma-required race and not available to new players. They require seven karma due to their power and difficulty in roleplaying.

Mul applications that are tied in with a clan should be run past that clan's staff before applying.

I don't know if that extends to sorcery, as that's a seperate beast from elementalism. I would imagine finding a backstory for how your mul learned sorcery would be daunting, to say the least.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on November 28, 2016, 05:33:16 PM
Nice!  that's good to know.  the example I used was the most extreme I could think of, the nitty gritty of my question is, if you want to play multiple karma-required roles on a single character, do you add the karma up, or just go with the highest.

Helpfile reads:

Notes:

I'm not sure which karma required classes/races you could mix at this point. I'm not sure how psionicists work (besides they can be only human), but I don't think HGs can be magickers either at this point. Elementalists are now subguilds, sorcs are now subguilds. To my understanding main guilds are karma free. I guess if you have CGP to burn you could go for extended sub or magick sub with skillbumps. I know you can do d-elf magickers, provided they fit into the documentation of their tribe somehow. I would think it safe to assume it's all cgp added together, and not just the biggest drain, but, that is an assumption, so, may not be so.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

November 28, 2016, 06:20:18 PM #4 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:44:37 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

IIRC, Psions still have the old 'Sorcerer Subguilds' and don't get to pick higher-karma subguilds or extended subguilds or whatever. I imagine that'll be updated at some point to just allow them to pick a different ext. subguild, or maybe they'll get an overhaul like the Sorcs and get split up. Could be wrong! Maybe this changed when Sorcs changed.

If I also remember correctly, Staff said that you can't combine like...Well actually now i'm confused because all the 'karma' options are subguilds now, and races I suppose. But I think you can't combine a karma race with a karma subguild that's higher than 8? I dunno. I think right before the "Magick Subguild" move, you weren't allowed to combine say, a Krathi with an Extended Subguild. You could pick a karma guild / regular subguild, or a regular guild / karma subguild.

I think typically Staff unlocks a race or guild or subguild option you don't have for a special application, and it gets removed automatically when that PC dies. If you gain Karma from that role, it stays unlocked (if it is in that karma category). I've accidentally had stuff 'stick' through, even when I didn't have the karma for it, and I notified Staff for them to take it back off.

Mul Sorcerer would be so OP it hurts. But, I do think if the CGP system were eventually unlocked, it'd be cool if 8 was no longer the maximum karma. Make it 15.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

December 22, 2016, 12:39:05 PM #6 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:37:18 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Helpfile reads:

Sorcery is something you learn, if I recall correctly, not something you're born with.

So the breeding exception would only apply to mul elementalists, not mul sorcs.

That being said, you probably won't get to play one unless you've already played a mul successfully and played a sorc successfully, and you haven't ever been a raging douche -ever-.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I suppose a mul in game could try and learn sorcery but I've never actually heard of anyone succeeding.
Well kind of.
WEll.
Uh
Try in game.

Quote from: Jihelu on December 22, 2016, 04:17:28 PM
I suppose a mul in game could try and learn sorcery but I've never actually heard of anyone succeeding.
Well kind of.
WEll.
Uh
Try in game.

Basically nobody learns "in game."

The vast majority of sorcs in game start as sorcs, with some goofy back-story to justify it.  A mul sorc would work the same way.

But really, a mul sorc would be pointless.  Mul advantage is pure melee DPS...and who cares about melee DPS when you can literally light everything in the room on fire?  If anything, being a mul would be more likely to get you killed during the grind phase, just like most other muls.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

The only reason to try and learn sorcery in game is if you're a dworf so you can basically be focusless and keep those sweet stat bonuses. No, no, it's okay. I'll keep waiting until a chance to learn presents itself.  ::)