Bio Reminder!

Started by boog, November 28, 2016, 10:53:02 AM

What does writing a bio entry accomplish?

Quote from: Kalden on January 02, 2017, 02:24:04 PM

(1) IIRC from what I've gathered on the gdb, BIO entries are accessible IG via a certain magickal thing.  I'll keep it that vague, but I've taken them to be extensions of my thoughts and feels for othre players to peek into.

(2) Practically, I find them useful for summarizing things up before I write a character report.  I can then point staff to entries in a 'for more information, see BIO entry Whatever.'  This helps keep the reports short, and it helps me keep track of what's going on better.  (I usually do a:

bio add Something Amazing Happened
~

And then fill it in later, so I have a chronology to events, because I'm forgetful!)

(3) Spiritually (or whatever, hehe), they help me think through events in character in a less clunky way than using think and feel inside the game.  I do my reports in the first person for this reason, and it sometimes allows me to sort of shake out a character's psychology and see what they really think of things, so I'm not so passive and reactionary but a bit more pro-active about events.

That's my thoughts, at least.  As far as I know they are totally optional.  I'm actually more of a player that plays in the moment and does improv, so I tend to really neglect them.  But they can be fun!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Staff can view your bios to get insight to how your character ticks and the why's behind their actions.  They can also be useful for in allowing the staff to know about your characters past should you get a new staff member that needs to quickly get up to speed on what you've been up to and who your character is beyond the skills and stats and rank in a clan.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

My characters tend to live for RL years, so their bio entries often end up being a fossil record of shit I have otherwise completely forgotten. I'll go back and read them like... wait a second... that happened?? Oh yeah I kind of remember that. It's more for my own amusement than anything, if I'm being honest.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Sets shit in stone since character creation. You want to elaborate on your backstory? Explain how it has helped effect and shape the PC you're playing today? Bio it. Want to explain why the outwardly dubious flirtation is actually a source of shame? Bio it. Want to detail your feelings toward a person/place/thing/event/whatever, bio it.

Basically, it's a place for you to communicate a better record of the development of your character where the appropriate parties might be able to access it and see it.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

In the world of text, if it ain't written, it ain't real.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I find the bios keep me truer to my character when I play them for the long term, too. If I logged in everyday and played I think I would eventually mesh myself into my character. But when I write about what they're doing when I'm not logged in, how they feel about their parents, their current lovers or lack thereof, I feel like I'm more minutely able to retain who they are instead of playing myself, or what I'm comfortable playing.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Bios are tite.

Also the ability to edit Biographies and add them through the web creator is seriously amazing. I remember when they weren't, and I used them less!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I looove the web tool. Love love love.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Wait, I didn't know you could add them through a web tool! !!! Does anyone have a link?

http://www.armageddon.org/bios/list.php

Push the eyeball button next to your character's name and ADD AWAY!!
There is only one boog.

Dutifully reminding you that your character needs some maintenance work in the form of a b-b-b-bio!

Let's see. A topic, a topic you could write today about...

What do they do when you're NOT playing them? Do they lounge around? Have gate duty? Tend to their children? Lounge around naked atop their silk sheets?

Delve! (Not delf, mind you!)
There is only one boog.

bio add Elves

grumble grumble grumble necker grumble thief grumble grumble
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm way better at bio entries now than I used to be, apparently.

And I am catching up, and I am seeing red
How about I prove I'm right and raise it overhead?

BIOOOOOOOOOOOOO
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on January 19, 2017, 04:51:31 PM
BIOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU'RE NOT MY NIGHTTIME SUPERVISOR.

Coincidentally, haven't written a single bio on this character. Sorry
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

slacker
There is only one boog.

I did some catch-up yesterday and you should too!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC