Color change discussion thread.

Started by Nathvaan, November 25, 2016, 06:18:52 AM

Quote from: Zenith on November 25, 2016, 08:00:39 AM
I, like Lizzie, already have color set on my client. But just because I don't personally need this doesn't mean I don't think it's an amazing change!! I particularly like the combat options. I'm tempted to rework all my settings so that I can use those.

The work that must have gone into this is exceptional. Congratulations and thank you for undertaking such a large project!

Agreed 100%. I've always felt that if players wanted colors, colors should be available. As long as it defaulted to NO color to start with - I was totally on board with options. Can't tell you how many games I've tried to play, that defaulted to the game colors upon entry. If I couldn't just type "ansi off" and make them all go away, I never bothered playing the game. In addition, I don't really want ansi off. I want it on. But I want MY choice of colors, not the game's choice. And I hate having to UNdo yours, then REdo mine, just so I can decide if I want to play your game. It's always been a deal-breaker to me.

So the fact that players can toggle on/toggle off easily, is a huge deal to me (and other mutants like me).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Fantastic!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Holy crap. I think I'm probably going to alternate between a color set and my old faithful off and on.

Great job, staff!
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

How to I highlight combat hits again?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

change color fg_combat_charhit (color or color number)

That is for changing the letters when you are hit.

change color fg_combat_victhit (color or color number)

To change the letters when you hit someone.

Use bg instead of fg for background of the letters.

fg or bg_combat_room colors combat in which you aren't involved.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I switched the colors on. It scared me, after so long of playing with the basic default grey/black scheme the colors were jarring. Gonna give it a whirl though, see how it goes.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

My interface seems to be broken when enabling this while using the Infobar addon to mushclient by Agent_137. I may disable the bar and wiggle around prompts to see if I can get something working the way I like it.

Quote from: Sedora on November 25, 2016, 02:01:22 PM
My interface seems to be broken when enabling this while using the Infobar addon to mushclient by Agent_137. I may disable the bar and wiggle around prompts to see if I can get something working the way I like it.

Interesting.  I didn't specifically test infobar and how it does or doesn't interact with this change.  Just to verify, can you tell me which client you are using and what version.  Also can you describe what you mean by 'broken'?  I'll see if I can reproduce the issue and see if it's anything on our side.

Do color settings persist through character death?

November 25, 2016, 02:36:50 PM #35 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:41:45 PM by Sedora
Quote from: Nathvaan on November 25, 2016, 02:11:25 PM
Interesting.  I didn't specifically test infobar and how it does or doesn't interact with this change.  Just to verify, can you tell me which client you are using and what version.  Also can you describe what you mean by 'broken'?  I'll see if I can reproduce the issue and see if it's anything on our side.

MushClient 4.94

It seems like its getting itself into some sort of loop posting prompt output of hp and stuff. I took a screenie of it:

https://postimg.org/image/bcxbdruat/

Quote from: LauraMars on November 25, 2016, 02:30:48 PM
Do color settings persist through character death?

Unfortunately at this time, no they do not.  It is a setting on the character so I would suggest using 'change color export' to get a list of commands to reset your colors to those settings in the future.  You can save that off for use later.  I will probably look into having it moved to the account eventually but due to some technical issues it was easier and more time effective to have them save on the character for this first release.

Ok good to know, thank you.

Thanks for this!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Nathvaan. He kicked cancer's ass, then decided to keep kicking ass.

This is great, I haven't tried it yet, but thank you.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on November 25, 2016, 05:41:15 PM

Ha, thanks.  Actually had two different cancers in the last 6 years or so.  I think I'll not go for a third though! ;)

Glad people are liking it because it really was more work than I care to admit.  I have noticed quite a few oddities with coloring.  Nothing crazy but things are not working 100% as I intended so I'll be looking at fixing a few things here and there in the near-term.

Quote from: Nathvaan on November 25, 2016, 05:55:17 PM
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on November 25, 2016, 05:41:15 PM

Ha, thanks.  Actually had two different cancers in the last 6 years or so.  I think I'll not go for a third though! ;)

Glad people are liking it because it really was more work than I care to admit.  I have noticed quite a few oddities with coloring.  Nothing crazy but things are not working 100% as I intended so I'll be looking at fixing a few things here and there in the near-term.

The upside is it'll limit those weird moments when a mindbender is with you and keeps answering your thinks like you're having a conversation. I have to look at moments like that and be like, okay, my PC hates your PC and wants nothing more than to fuck them over, but this is extreme meta and I'm not sure the player meant to do this, so I can't, in good conscience, out them without being a royal dick. Ok, so we're going to ignore the obvious abomination in the room because it's just, meh, to end it this way. Now when you do this I can tell this is what you MEANT to do, and react accordingly.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: John on November 25, 2016, 08:36:07 AM
Here's some coloured echoes I'm unsure of what category they fall into:
put object into object
list
You stand up from a table.

Think and feel are coming up coloured (I'm assuming they belong to the psionics group of colours).
More I'm unsure about:

craft item
[lightgreen]You could make...[/lightgreen]
   1) a lump of mottled soap from that. [brew, difficult]

Any idea what tags I can use to change these colours?

Quote from: WanderingOoze on November 25, 2016, 01:50:06 PM
I switched the colors on. It scared me, after so long of playing with the basic default grey/black scheme the colors were jarring. Gonna give it a whirl though, see how it goes.

Update: So far so good. I can safetly say I like this now.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: John on November 25, 2016, 06:40:45 PM
Quote from: John on November 25, 2016, 08:36:07 AM
Here's some coloured echoes I'm unsure of what category they fall into:
put object into object
list
You stand up from a table.

Think and feel are coming up coloured (I'm assuming they belong to the psionics group of colours).
More I'm unsure about:

craft item
[lightgreen]You could make...[/lightgreen]
   1) a lump of mottled soap from that. [brew, difficult]

Any idea what tags I can use to change these colours?

The game is not coloring any crafting output.  The only thing it is currently coloring is the listed categories under 'change color'.  Yes, think and feel are tagged as psionics.  If you want to create "You could make..." in light green you will have to do that on the client side through use of triggers or whatever way the client colors output text.

Haven't had time to sit down and mess with this yet, but I'm going to want to fully customize it and test it out. Is it acceptable for me to use change locdesc to remove my character from game while doing this testing?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Nathvaan returns to kick monochromatic ass.  Well played!
Where it will go

I just noticed that the say colors don't when when someone is saying something to someone else.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on November 25, 2016, 09:50:07 PM
I just noticed that the say colors don't when when someone is saying something to someone else.

It's probably that your fg_tell color is unset or is set to the same color as your default text in your client.  Since say cannot target another person the command is actually tell.  Try something like 'change color fg_tell <color>' and hopefully that works for you!