Newcomer in Alllanak.

Started by Syl, November 15, 2016, 03:49:18 PM

November 23, 2016, 12:32:54 PM #200 Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:35:08 PM by Syl
Quote from: Miradus on November 23, 2016, 09:04:28 AM
From someone who doesn't live in Allanak or Tuluk and who has never personally witnessed magic?

Yeah, I think that's possible. Certainly it would be wise to be careful where you're heard saying it though. The power structure of certain areas is based upon "we have magic and you don't so worship us". It might be like going to the 13th century Europe and telling the king that his divine right to rule is bullcrap.
Again, not talkin about magic, but superstitions. T'was more about say, a smart farmer replyin to his dumb brother on the subject of an heifer higly fecond if brushed on her genitals with chalton's blood at a full moon...

Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 23, 2016, 09:14:53 AM
Do you have any questions, Syl?

Also, the only clans you generally can't leave are the militia of the cities. If you become an invalid from war, or something like that, they will probably cut you without any repercussions you would have to deal with, but if you were planning to spend a human character exploring the different clans, then I would strongly suggest avoiding starting with the militia.
Quote from: Riev on November 23, 2016, 09:28:24 AM
Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 23, 2016, 09:14:53 AM
Do you have any questions, Syl?

Also, the only clans you generally can't leave are the militia of the cities. If you become an invalid from war, or something like that, they will probably cut you without any repercussions you would have to deal with, but if you were planning to spend a human character exploring the different clans, then I would strongly suggest avoiding starting with the militia.
As much as people say to Join the T'zai Byn (tm), keep this in mind. Most clans restrict going "outside" for a very long time because its Dangerous to Go Alone (tm). I might honestly suggest not immediately joining a clan until you have your bearings about you. You can be a great person in the game without joining a clan, though joining one can get you embroiled in things pretty quickly.
One cannot disengage from the byn, with no contractual enlistment, it's for life??

Quote from: Syl on November 23, 2016, 12:32:54 PM
Quote from: Miradus on November 23, 2016, 09:04:28 AM
From someone who doesn't live in Allanak or Tuluk and who has never personally witnessed magic?

Yeah, I think that's possible. Certainly it would be wise to be careful where you're heard saying it though. The power structure of certain areas is based upon "we have magic and you don't so worship us". It might be like going to the 13th century Europe and telling the king that his divine right to rule is bullcrap.
Again, not talkin about magic, but superstitions. T'was more about say, a smart farmer replyin to his dumb brother on the subject of an heifer higly fecond if brushed on her genitals with chalton's blood at a full moon...

Inside Allanak and its environs (Yaroch, Red Storm Village), the vast majority of the population fear and distrust the gemmed (and especially the non-gemmed).  Superstitious beliefs and actions help bring this aspect of Zalanthas to life.

There are a number of threads dedicated to interpreting the mundane relationship to the non-mundane on the gdb, but one thing that is fairly common with new players (and old) is to come in with 'modern' rationalistic views about racism or anti-magick or superstitions, or to befriend a gick in order to get something done.  It isn't impossible for a commoner to consider the superstitions bogus, but the majority of the population would consider that person the oddity.

So, I would think, this 'smart' farmer would be the one who is the oddball, not the 'dumb' brother, and likely ostracized from his family for being a gick lover.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

You can Leave the Byn whenever you want, as long as you let a
Sergeant know you want to go they'll discharge you without much fuss in most cases.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Ok thanks. Eerh, what is 'gdb', and a 'gick'?

Quote from: Syl on November 23, 2016, 01:46:46 PM

Hehe!

gdb = General Discussion Board (this place)

gick = magicker
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Syl on November 23, 2016, 01:46:46 PM

GDB = General Discussion Board (these forums)  A gick = Magicker
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: Syl on November 23, 2016, 01:57:36 PM
Cheers!

Now go tell your friends, and we can close this thread and open up new ones for each of them!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

They red it, now, if you're not intrested in that thread, you just have to ignore it, as I probably will have more questions, leavin the gdb open to all, eh.

Still playing, dude?  Enjoying it?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points