Newcomer in Alllanak.

Started by Syl, November 15, 2016, 03:49:18 PM

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 08:34:27 AM
Then I cannot imagine havin already one? Would be good when startin to play, we got some items related to our background, nops?

Typically, that is what your "starting coin" is supposed to go toward. Outfitting your character with the basics that you probably have had up until this point in your life.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

You can also roleplay that previous to your character's being "noticed in public" (part of your character's background story) the flute you did have was stolen, or you tripped and fell and it broke, or anything at all really. This can become your character's first goal: to replace your old flute that you don't have anymore with a new one.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

QuoteTypically, that is what your "starting coin" is supposed to go toward. Outfitting your character with the basics that you probably have had up until this point in your life.
One could expect items more originals/intimate from our backgrounds, eh?
QuoteYou can also roleplay that previous to your character's being "noticed in public" (part of your character's background story) the flute you did have was stolen, or you tripped and fell and it broke, or anything at all really. This can become your character's first goal: to replace your old flute that you don't have anymore with a new one
That will be, after the goals of findin water, fodd, obsidian, job...  :-\

Speakin of that, is there an RP forum where to play our diferent meetin with other chars? Cause I'd like to meet a particular one, but I'm not sure that our play times are correspondin...

The only "meet-up" forums are clan forums, and even then it's only for posting things like "Our clan unit is taking a trip. The following times are options for setting out: (insert 2-5 real-life time slots). Please indicate which is the most convenient for you."

Followed up with something like "Looks like we'll be doing this on Sunday, starting at 7:30 PM, server time. Expect at least 3 RL hours for this RPT."

Other than that, there really isn't much, if any, OOC coordination. Your character will meet who he meets via circumstance. Networking ICly is always encouraged - tell someone who you think might be likely to tell someone else, and so on and so forth. And of course using The Way - "contact amos" and then "psi Hey Amos this is Malik, can we meet?" - is a built-in IC system of communication for people who aren't sitting in the same room (and sometimes even when they are).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Ok'n thanks. No mails neither?

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 08:34:27 AM
Then I cannot imagine havin already one? Would be good when startin to play, we got some items related to our background, nops?
You have to buy one.

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 09:54:36 AM
Ok'n thanks. No mails neither?

The general idea is that OOC communication is kept to a bare minimum. With such a heavy focus on roleplay, corruption, and betrayal, staff have found that OOC communication, even just to "meet up with people" becomes a slippery-slope scenario. So, in general, no. Psionics is your best bet, next to finding someone who might know that someone.

QuoteYou have to buy one.
No way to craft one? Spent my youth in the forest doin that.

Quotehe general idea is that OOC communication is kept to a bare minimum.
Ok, could have been IC mail also.

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 11:23:05 AM
QuoteYou have to buy one.
No way to craft one? Spent my youth in the forest doin that.

Quotehe general idea is that OOC communication is kept to a bare minimum.
Ok, could have been IC mail also.

Any communication that isn't 'in game and in character' is OOC information. There is no 'in game' mail because we're by and large not literate.

Also, you CAN craft a flute, but if you don't have the skill you don't have the skill. I hate to be terse, but you need to separate "what you can do in the real world" from "what you can do in Zalanthas". If you don't have the skill on your skill list, you just plain don't have the ability. You cannot 'craft a flute' if you do not have 'instrument making' just like you can't cast a fireball unless you have it on your skill list.

November 17, 2016, 11:48:11 AM #59 Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:01:12 PM by Syl
Ok'n thanks, no way that I get the skill then. Though I don't have the hide/sneak skill, but I can get it with practice, right? Or all my skills ever are the ones I got in my list? Trainable only with other teachers/chars, beside practice?

QuoteAnd of course using The Way
If I'm unable to reach their mind, is it cause they're not playin, or I failed the skill?

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 11:48:11 AM
Ok'n thanks, no way that I get the skill then. Though I don't have the hide/sneak skill, but I can get it with practice, right? Or all my skills ever are the ones I got in my list? Trainable only with other teachers/chars, beside practice?

There are some skills that might "appear" on your skill list, as others raise up. The classic example is Ride. As you learn to ride better and better, you might learn an "advanced maneuver" and a new skill will appear on your list.

Then only skill in the line of those already acquired. No need for me to try, plain as a tree in the desert, to hide? Despite the fact that the computer tell me that I'm tryin to find a good spot?

If you have the hide skill, you can try to hide, and may succeed! (though if your hide skill is at novice or apprentice, you probably need to practice the skill for awhile.)

If you don't have the hide skill, and try to hide, you will never be able to hide.

However, maybe you can learn the hide skill. If you're a ranger, they do eventually learn the hide skill by using their starter skills.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

From wich skill will I learn to hide?

And see, that's the kind of skill that should be available to everyone, no? It's the kind of movement indispensable to all scenes and dramatics effects, that every chars shoud be able to perform, don't you think?

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 12:33:57 PM
From wich skill will I learn to hide?

And see, that's the kind of skill that should be available to everyone, no? It's the kind of movement indispensable to all scenes and dramatics effects, that every chars shoud be able to perform, don't you think?

Yes, and no. Some people understand shadows, mixing in with crowds, looking like they belong, etc.

While I WOULD like more 'in room' hiding options like "enter curtain" which allows you to listen to the room next to it, that's just not how the code works. You either know how to hide, or you look like a big idiot.

That DOESN'T stop you, however, from doing a "change ldesc" so that it says "<the soandso character> is crouched behind the table opposite the door". And then hope the person doesn't catch you.

What skills "branch" come of what others isn't typically something we talk about. WE know by the helpfiles that you WILL get hide, but now how, or when.

QuoteThat DOESN'T stop you, however, from doing a "change ldesc" so that it says "<the soandso character> is crouched behind the table opposite the door". And then hope the person doesn't catch you.
That would be more on the register of comedy, wouldn'it? :)

I've seen a half-giant hide behind a couch before, and I decided that I didn't see him until he "hidden emoted" his butt bouncing over the crest of it.

Code wise, you CAN NOT hide unless you have the skill. Its not a realism thing, its not a "well maybe". If it isn't currently on your list, you can't do it.

However, some players might roll with your changed ldesc. Hiding under the bed, in a wardrobe, etc.

Okokok, but to escape a vengeful gang, don't think that they would mind a lot the ldesc, eh.

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 01:13:00 PM
Okokok, but to escape a vengeful gang, don't think that they would mind a lot the ldesc, eh.

Correct. Codedly, you are bad at hiding. You might think you're behind the barrel, but they still see you.

You're thinking in a DnD-like mindset. A warrior might not be GOOD at picking locks, but he has the skill and can try.

Skills in arm are more like the feats. Your warrior CAN NOT use Sneak Attack because he just does not have that feat, unless you select an appropriate subguild feat-package that has it.

So, try to think of Arm's "skills" more like "feats". You don't have the "Hide" feat, so you can't attempt it.

BUT, I can hope, somehow, to see it appear from the use of my rangers skills, right? Tell me there's some logic in the choice of the skills drivin to that.

Quote from: Syl on November 17, 2016, 01:23:58 PM
BUT, I can hope, somehow, to see it appear from the use of my rangers skills, right? Tell me there's some logic in the choice of the skills drivin to that.

See Help Ranger, or Help <guild> for a better idea on what skills you might acquire OVER TIME.

But if you're a ranger, yes, there tends to be a logic for branching. To a point.

For a totally unrelated example: If you want to get better at overhearing conversations (listen), you'll probably have to learn to be hidden, or move unheard through a room, so people don't know you're there to begin with.

Its not always like that, but its typically along the lines of "I want to do <x>, and <y> skill is related, so maybe I'll work on <y> skill for a while".

If a concept is BUILT on you having a particular skill at the outset, you can use a subguild. For example, if you absolutely MUST be able to hide? Find a subguild that comes with hide. In time, you'll learn some good combinations, and awesome flavor subguilds that really flesh you out as a person, not just a skill set.

Takes time to learn the game and its mechanics, no doubts. Thanks again for you answers!  :)

Yeah it takes time, I've been playing for a couple years now and still have  -no idea- what I'm doing sometimes.  ;) 

Just have fun with it, don't take your PC's too seriously, especially the first few. Because they gonna die man.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

As long as I reincarnate more experienced, eh.

Advice:
Play a warrior or something as your next character.
While combat code might be harder to learn I think it's much easier to learn how things work through the process of 'equip weapon, kill things'.

You will also find that weapon skills crawl at an unsteady pace and it may seem that staff hates you because they never go up.
While the latter can not be proven they will eventually go up.