Newcomer in Alllanak.

Started by Syl, November 15, 2016, 03:49:18 PM

Exceptional rangers are able to move
silently and remain unseen in the wilderness, detect sounds from far away,
work with poisons, and parry enemy blows.

there's your ranger branch list right there, taken from the game. anything else that you get is really sweet. there are a lot of skills that rangers get.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 17, 2016, 02:56:16 PM
Advice:
Play a warrior or something as your next character.
While combat code might be harder to learn I think it's much easier to learn how things work through the process of 'equip weapon, kill things'.

You will also find that weapon skills crawl at an unsteady pace and it may seem that staff hates you because they never go up.
While the latter can not be proven they will eventually go up.

I would also suggest joining the Byn, which is one of the most newbie-friendly clans.  Or if a ranger, one of the Great Merchant Houses.

(Yes, I said already)
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Thanks for all advices, but the one clan I'd really like to join, is the darkmoon division, as it seem some oasis for the breed of my kind. But it's hard to find its head leadress...

The Darkmoon tribe isn't a player-playable clan/tribe.
Fredd-

Syl is referring to a player-created clan. Best advice I can offer is to get word around in-character that you want to join.

Oh, duh, I forgot about that player-created clan!
Fredd-

Yep, with word of mouth, and spirit, that's settled now... Cheers all!  ;D

That would be a group that is in game at the moment, been around that we don't mind it being mentioned, just no need to go into details.  You'll find them around in Allanak.  Just find out IC. ;)  Welcome to Armageddon!
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

November 18, 2016, 11:08:11 PM #83 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:11:53 PM by Syl
Greets!  :)

Please, quickly reincarnated as I'm, or tryin to, how could one makes a background durin his whole youth and more, long years in a city of origin where he sudenly got to learn strugglin just to survive, kind of foreigner, weak as ever, without any relations?? Just askin you know, if you have some brief exemples, apart suden trauma, drama or disgrace.

maybe you were just who you were for so long,a nd then one day it just hit you that you wanted more in life. most vnpcs and npcs in this game don't achieve a lot - they don't go far. pcs are 'generally' the exception - they achieve more, go for more, than most npcs do.

But, aren't we all Pcs?? And that's not the question, eh.

your pc didn't start out as a pc, it starts out as a vnpc that you define their life before you took control.

all pcs exist in the world at some point, they just "become" your PC once you've applied your character and had it accepted.

that is how i think of it.

November 18, 2016, 11:27:20 PM #87 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:31:13 PM by Syl
Ok, but be it a vnpc (whatever that could mean) or a pc, it's story of a past, in a city of origin, to wich you become sudenly a foreigner in takin control.

I THINK what you're asking, is how you could have a background for a city character who has been in the city their whole life, but doesn't know anyone or politics or stuff?

Put together a rich background but then the character gets a bump on the head for amnesia.
Don't be from the city, but one of the farming villages AROUND the city.
If from the city, background that you lived in the alleys of the Commoner's Quarter, and didn't have time to learn the city.

There are plenty of ways. (Related: PC = Player Character, NPC = Non-Player Character, vNPC = virtual Non-Player Character. Every PC you create is, assumedly, someone who WAS a vNPC in the world beforehand. They existed, but now you are taking over their day to day life*)

* - Which usually means people who have lived for 20years doing their own thing, find untimely deaths. HOW DO WE STILL HAVE PEOPLE IN THIS CITY?!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

That is rather a restricted choice and possibilty... Unless the 'imortals' (whatever they maybe called) of Arma, folow and build scenarii around each of the new chars in their imagined story, eh.

nope.

if you want something a little different, a special application might be in order. those allow you to break the mold a little bit and have something a little different.

A lil diferent? In what sense?

Special Applications allow you to apply for a role that isn't "standard". Such as, someone with a significant mutation, or a ranger who cannot use a bow, or something like that. Something that CODEDLY affects your character, but is in their background and necessary for play. Some people have had special apps for leathery skin, for being mute, for changing out one major skill for another.

Your background can be whatever you want it to be, but don't expect to put in "He was super rich and everyone loves him" and see it reflected when your PC is approved. Because you'll start out just like every other character. I was only giving you suggestions, as your broken english seemed to convey that you wanted to know how a character might "suddenly learn to live on their own in the city, but be a little foreign".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

A typical back ground for an innocent newb would be from a farming village doing menial work and helping or observing others to gain the lowish level of skills you have, or I've seen those poor souls who have been locked in an apartment by their slightly protective parent, or confined to a block of the city by the demands of life. Walking away from  from a relatively unskilled existence can be explained by many things  that you may want to leave behind.
A tribal background taking a subguild that speaks bendune (from a virtual tribe) may be another, though not being a citizen of Allanak may close a few career options.

November 19, 2016, 12:34:27 AM #94 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:37:01 AM by Syl
QuoteSpecial Applications allow you to apply for a role that isn't "standard". Such as, someone with a significant mutation, or a ranger who cannot use a bow, or something like that. Something that CODEDLY affects your character, but is in their background and necessary for play. Some people have had special apps for leathery skin, for being mute, for changing out one major skill for another.
Ok, but that doesn't really affect your raison d'etre and the way you manage to live in your city of origin.

QuoteYour background can be whatever you want it to be, but don't expect to put in "He was super rich and everyone loves him" and see it reflected when your PC is approved. Because you'll start out just like every other character. I was only giving you suggestions, as your broken english seemed to convey that you wanted to know how a character might "suddenly learn to live on their own in the city, but be a little foreign".
Well, I never intended to be super rich and loved by anyone, though sure, my char won't be after hate. And I thought my english (that I think clear enough and not so broken, I'm not ashamed of his diference, eh), would define precisely the dilemma that I'm facin. Again, I wanted to know how a born-citizen could suddenly become a complete stranger, with no survival routine, apart, as a standard farmer comin to town and others dramas, like amnesia ok.

Quotelocked in an apartment by their slightly protective parent
What if they had been really protective, eh.

QuoteWalking away from  from a relatively unskilled existence can be explained by many things  that you may want to leave behind.
A relatively insatisfyin existence, it's mostly with a breakin of the past then... Thxs.

Hope I'm not a downer, but if you're brand new, I'd start off with a simple concept and learn the ropes as you go. Don't overthink it cause there's a lot you and your PC have to learn.

The easiest concept I think is to start with a PC with memory loss.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

November 19, 2016, 06:05:17 AM #96 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:09:34 AM by Syl
Ok'n thxs, but, the background of a memory loss, isn't it an empty background to RP? That's simple, for sure.;) And I'd like to play a city elf from Allanak, so that's the redneck discarded, as there are no elven villages around I assume... Only the poor amnesiac simpleton left?

Experienced players, can't you tell me examples of your dead chars?

Quote from: Syl on November 19, 2016, 06:05:17 AM
Experienced players, can't you tell me examples of your dead chars?

You called?  ;D

My very first character went with the 'memory loss' background and it was actually tons of fun. For instance, the Kurac staff at the time (Mekeda) helped me with a plot to find my father, and I had a fun little interaction with that elven fortuneteller in Allanak. I joined the Byn and one of my fellow mercs tried to help me regain my memories by hypnotizing me. As I learned more about the game world OOCly, I came up with more and more 'scenes' and facts from the life I had forgotten, experienced those as flashbacks and told my friends about them. It was so fun.

I posted that character in this thread here (last entry): http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51457.50.html

Well it's not that you need to make the memory loss in your background.  Your background could be fairly vague, and about your family or interests (either to be role played out or interests supported by the guild you choose) And you could have suffered memory loss just before your PC enters the game.  It explains why you don't know all the ins and outs of the city and city life, but you still have a background with virtual family/friends etc.

November 19, 2016, 07:15:03 AM #99 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:32:25 AM by Syl
QuoteMy very first character went with the 'memory loss' background and it was actually tons of fun. For instance, the Kurac staff at the time (Mekeda) helped me with a plot to find my father, and I had a fun little interaction with that elven fortuneteller in Allanak. I joined the Byn and one of my fellow mercs tried to help me regain my memories by hypnotizing me. As I learned more about the game world OOCly, I came up with more and more 'scenes' and facts from the life I had forgotten, experienced those as flashbacks and told my friends about them. It was so fun.

I posted that character in this thread here (last entry): http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51457.50.html
Then the staff 'folowed' your story of a memory loss, and the poor/lonely condition seems to be a requisite also (see the char of Riev)... Logicaly.

QuoteAnd you could have suffered memory loss just before your PC enters the game.
The memory loss bein a standard of firsts backgrounds so, and after? Does it comes more elaborate and how, again?
Sorry if my question is naive, but I've rarely aplied for enforced RP, keepin it encouraged on hack'n slash muds, with no need of backgrounds.