Newcomer in Alllanak.

Started by Syl, November 15, 2016, 03:49:18 PM

i don't think i ever played a memory-impaired pc, so, that should help.

you just have to be kind of vague in your background. leave yourself openings.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

November 19, 2016, 07:56:28 AM #101 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:01:05 AM by Syl
Ok, and could a char comes as a relative of the previous, say, to investigate about his mysterious dispearance? Sayin that as my death was quite expeditive and incomprehensible... :-\

Quote from: Syl on November 19, 2016, 07:56:28 AM
Ok, and could a char comes as a relative of the previous, say, to investigate about his mysterious dispearance? Sayin that as my death was quite expeditive and incomprehensible... :-\
No, that's actually in the documented rules:

QuoteYour living character may not have any connection to your dead or stored characters. This includes relationships, looting your dead character's corpse, or possessing intimate knowledge that your past character had. We will reject an application that attempts to establish a link between the applying character and a dead character. We will store your character if we find, after approval, that you are establishing a connection to your dead characters.

From http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Rules
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Some suggestions for how your character could be a stranger in his own city (some have already been stated - not sure why you aren't open to any of them):

1) your character was raised in a small geographical area of the city, with protective parents (great for merchant types who grew up on Miner's on the *east* side, as opposed to the *west* side).
2) your character was given to an overbearing cousin by a mother who was a whore, whose pregnancy and birth resulted in fewer customers. The cousin raised your character to stay close and do all the housework - as in, a live-in maid who got the leftovers. A cinderella story.
3) your character had a life, had someone raising him at least til he was old enough to be out on his own. Your character might/might not even remember the people who raised him. Then one day, he got mugged in the Gaj sleeping area. He doesn't know what happened after that - apparently someone healed him. He woke up and - BANG - there he is, fresh out of chargen, not really knowing much of anything other than his name and his general background. He's lost his sense of direction and can't remember where anything is anymore, and doesn't recognize people.

4) your character has a background. He shows up out of chargen in the Gaj and you, the player, spend the next 10 minutes reading the tavern board. Like this:
l board
read board 1
read board 2
read board 3
read board 4
(etc. all the way through)

You copy/paste your reading experience to a text file, then go back to the sleeping room and log out.
Spend the next 20 minutes offline reading each post, and make sure you pay attention to the date since some of them are OLD and some are current. The first couple of posts are important that don't "age out."

THEN - after this, you log back in.
Type TIME to make sure it's not "late at night" or "before dawn."
Then, walk out to the road and type DIRECTIONS

Learn how to use the directions command to get to almost any place of interest in the city.

And then - you don't have to pretend to be a stranger. You know your way around, you're current on the most widely-rumored news, and you have a vague idea of the city's recent history (within the past couple of RL years).

QuoteOk, and could a char comes as a relative of the previous, say, to investigate about his mysterious dispearance? Sayin that as my death was quite expeditive and incomprehensible... :-\

No, that's actually in the documented rules:
Thanks for the remindin. Red the rules quite quickly...

Quotenot sure why you aren't open to any of them
It's not that I'm oposed to them. I'm just clearin the ground on wich to build up my background, findin the basics concepts of it, for a better selection, and construction. And as said, t'would be with a city elf, rather dark...

Quoteyour character has a background. He shows up out of chargen in the Gaj and you, the player, spend the next 10 minutes reading the tavern board. (etc. all the way through)
Hmm, think that I red them as atentively as the rules... ::) BUT, I should read them all?? And that would give me the knowledge of the city then...

Not all, the rule posts (the staffer name will be after the title in ()) and the last five to ten (a.k.a the most recent ones).
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Ok, thxs all for the help. I'll try to make someone a bit more long-lastin, if any...  :-\

Quote from: Syl on November 19, 2016, 10:53:00 AM
Ok, thxs all for the help. I'll try to make someone a bit more long-lastin, if any...  :-\

Protip: Don't have a GOAL to live forever, or even long. Your character WILL die someday. Very few players get into game with one concept, and are able to keep it alive and going for months, without some decent advice and guidance from another player.

You see to have the drive, and the will, to do it right. Just remember that the background, and where you come from, is just that: A background. Its what you do and say 'in game' that really shapes your character. Some backgrounds are as simple as

"Amos lived his entire life between the Gaj and his hovel in the Commoner's quarter. With few friends, and any family to support him gone or dead, its been up to him to sweep the streets, muck out the stables, and at times resort to petty mugging and theft just to eat."

But once you're in game, suddenly you decide to join the T'zai Byn for food and water. Or you end up in the jail and a Templar takes pity (hahah). Or maybe you strike it rich off some deader in the streets and use the coin to start your own little side-business of cooking food for the Arena.

You can do all that, off a "simple" background. Its what you do in game, and when you're as new as you are, you just gotta... understand that we were all there once. Most of us recognize new players and will either help out, or if you're a breed/elf, sneer at you and treat you like crap so you get the 'full experience'. :)
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Ok, learned 'the full experience' of the breed... :o I'll try a more discreet one...

Think that I got the overall concept for background now. I'm on the writin desk for it now... And, btw, could a hood cover your desc?

Only your short not long.
Fredd-

PRO TIP: The staff are cool with role-hopping where you store your PC's in a row trying to find a role that works for you.  I think it's a better idea then suiciding your PC IC, which (again, I think) frowned upon by the staff if done many times.

If this is wrong, sorry, but I wanted to throw it out before I forget.
Fredd-

November 19, 2016, 12:17:09 PM #111 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:30:05 PM by Syl
QuoteOnly your short not long.
But then what are our key words to be looked at? Hooded figure? And onlookers could still see our desc then... A pity no? Would be better if that could allow us to remain totally incognito, no?

QuotePRO TIP: The staff are cool with role-hopping where you store your PC's in a row trying to find a role that works for you.  I think it's a better idea then suiciding your PC IC, which (again, I think) frowned upon by the staff if done many times.

Don't get you, sry, and I didn't comited suicide,eh. Been tyranicaly asasinated by a bunch of fanatics, under cover of religion and justice... :(

Quote from: Syl on November 19, 2016, 12:17:09 PM
QuoteOnly your short not long.
But then what are our key words to be looked at? Hooded figure? And onlookers could still see our desc then... A pity no? Would be better if that could allow us to remain totally incognito, no?

When raised, it will be (in this example it's a dwarf and you are a human), "a short figure in a black cloak is standing here". When you look at them, it will be the long desc, yes, there isn't a way to be totally incognito in the game.  I think it's a code issue on how it was written back then.

QuotePRO TIP: The staff are cool with role-hopping where you store your PC's in a row trying to find a role that works for you.  I think it's a better idea then suiciding your PC IC, which (again, I think) frowned upon by the staff if done many times.

Don't get you, sry, and I didn't comited suicide,eh. Been tyranicaly asasinated by a bunch of fanatics, under cover of religion and justice... :(

It's just advice that I wanted to give.

And there is no religion in the game world.
Fredd-

November 19, 2016, 01:01:10 PM #113 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:02:43 PM by Syl
QuoteWhen raised, it will be (in this example it's a dwarf and you are a human), "a short figure in a black cloak is standing here". When you look at them, it will be the long desc, yes, there isn't a way to be totally incognito in the game.  I think it's a code issue on how it was written back then.
Ok.

QuoteIt's just advice that I wanted to give.
Didn't grasp it again, sry.

QuoteAnd there is no religion in the game world.
Well, I've been sentenced to death only for havin implied that I was servin the creator of it all and that their 'Highlord' was but a man... And I was an outcast breed, ok...

The Highlord is/was a man based on the history of the Known.  No one knows how each race was created and I believe that none of the tribes, coded and virtual, has (or is it have?) knowledge and/or the history of creation.  Religion implies worshiping the Highlord as a figure of divine power in which he may have but everyone fears him more than love.  They also fear his subjects, the Templars.

As for the advise, what are you lost on?  Are you lost on the term of "role-hopping" or...?
Fredd-

QuoteReligion implies worshiping the Highlord as a figure of divine power in which he may have but everyone fears him more than love.  They also fear his subjects, the Templars.
Subjects/templars that could be called fanatics, tell you.

QuoteAs for the advise, what are you lost on?  Are you lost on the term of "role-hopping" or...?
Or the whole meanin. What are you advisin me to do with my chars or futur chars, storin them where? And why this mention of suicide?

I'm only suggesting that if any of your roles/concepts doesn't work out for you in the future or you get burntout (don't store right away but take a break from the game then store when you are ready to jump in), that the staff prefers you to store that character instead of suiciding them. But you can always try to make the PC funner to play before you choose to store.  For example, lately I haven't had any luck with the last three or four PCs, that I played, so I played them to the point of boredom and I stored once I had another concept. While I might of only hinted to the staff that I'm role-hopping, they might know that I'm and they know that I'm working on getting a playable concept.  I hope this clears it up for you, if not, sorry.

To the rest, feel free to add on to this.  Thanks.
Fredd-

Barsook this person doesn't have a very good grasp of english, let alone common english phrases used primarily/exclusively in Armageddon.

"To store" = to tell the staff "I don't want to play this character anymore." They basically delete it off your "active" account, so it becomes "stored" and you can now play a new character. You can only play one character at a time.

Why mention of suicide:
Some players don't like their characters anymore and don't want to submit a request to staff, which can sometimes take a few days to respond. They'd rather just get rid of their character by themselves, so they are *immediately* free to submit a new character application. And so - they bring their character to a dangerous place knowing that the character will get killed. Or they'll intentionally piss off someone "important" in the game, knowing that their character will be executed.

The staff prefers that you submit a request (via the request tool here: http://www.armageddon.org/request/new.php ) to store your character, and not suicide. It's not a "rule" exactly, it's just something the staff prefers to have happen for a variety of reasons.

November 19, 2016, 04:23:36 PM #118 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:36:43 PM by Syl
More than english, it's phrasin that can be unintelligible at times, and yours's clear enough now Lizzie, thxs! Sry Barsook, but I had no notions of that 'store' possibility, and that restriction of one char. Meanin, to make it sure, that only one char could be recorded on our acount? Cause 'playin one character at a time' also implies that there are multiple characters, eh.  ;)

Yeah, it's my problem because English is my second and it's how my brain works.  Thoughts are there but the words to them aren't.

It's only one player character at a time per account and only one account per person.
Fredd-

November 19, 2016, 04:44:03 PM #120 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:49:55 PM by Syl
Yep, we could all be unclear at times. :) As for the words, you know that there are really good translation dictionaries out there to assist your brain, eh? 

QuoteIt's only one player character at a time per account and only one account per person.
Now it's clear, cheers!

Also, Syl, a suggestion: I'd look into the races/racism towards certain races, the basic lore of Allanak and everything that involves the Highlord Tektolnes. It's basic material that you need to know before making a char and not getting confronted with any weird surprises.

Once again I think you're overthinking things. I personally have the most fun with PC's with the simplest of backgrounds because there's a lot happening IC/in game. Throwaway chars for me are always the best PC's I made, because their background and life is so simple. The game will eventually spiral you into a storyline, be it through other PC's or staff driven plots.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

November 19, 2016, 05:47:15 PM #122 Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 05:50:48 PM by Syl
Quotelook into the races/racism towards certain races, the basic lore of Allanak and everything that involves the Highlord Tektolnes. It's basic material that you need to know before making a char and not getting confronted with any weird surprises.
That's a lesson already learned the hard way...:-\ But where do you get that doc about rascism, cause I red the topic of half elves, and nothin in it had prepared me to the death beatin I've received, eh... And falsely denounced by a poor, homeless youth!!
Nothin much about that with the city elves also, though I guess that they should be on an hard segregation with humans.

QuoteOnce again I think you're overthinking things. I personally have the most fun with PC's with the simplest of backgrounds because there's a lot happening IC/in game. Throwaway chars for me are always the best PC's I made, because their background and life is so simple. The game will eventually spiral you into a storyline, be it through other PC's or staff driven plots.
Well, my concern was but a logical question to be clarified. For the backgrounds, yes, I was thinkin of more dense and complexe expectations of them. It's understood now, and my new char is aproved.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Half-Elf%20Roleplay

I would suggest, again, to read the help files first, understand them, then read the forum threads.  The threads are more for discussion of the topics after players read and understood the help files.
Fredd-

Ok, I red that one, but it's spoken of rejection, not arbitrary, lethal violences, and at the hands of the local authorities, eh.