A Very Fond Farewell

Started by valeria, November 10, 2016, 08:56:33 AM

I've loved playing this game since 2009, and I met my husband and one of my closest friends through Armageddon.  So believe me when I say that I'm only announcing my retirement as a player with the heaviest of hearts.

When I play Armageddon, I play it to the hilt.  I invest a lot of creative energy into my characters and their biographies.  Now, I need that creativity for something more important.  Most of you know that I also write speculative fiction with LGBTQ+ characters, with a heavy focus on Young Adult fiction. Now, more than ever, it's important that I write queer stories.  And I need the energy that I've been throwing into Armageddon to make those stories the best that they can possibly be so that I can get them to their intended audience.

I'll probably still lurk the forums from time to time.  I've invested a lot of my heart and soul into this game because the people who play it are so great and the community here is unlike any other.  I doubt I'll be able to keep away and keep from wondering what you're all up to.

If you want to keep tabs on me back, I have a blog, One Writer Writing, at www.triciawarren.net and I update it twice a week.  Fridays are the progress update posts.
You're welcome to friend me on Facebook (unless you voted for Trump) at www.facebook.com/trish.betts.5
And you can follow me on twitter @triciawarren_

To the staff, thank you for investing so much time and energy into this game and allowing us to create stories with each other.  To the rest of the community, thank you for being here and helping me to make those stories, particularly to anyone who played with Brinna, Caide, Dekoh, Abrien, Fatima/Faith, Gita, Ilan, Lek, Janua Kadius, Het, Neven, Evie, Onyxi, Maliya, Portenna Borsail, Qetan, Sherris Keshmar, Takharion Jal, Koatl/Little Spark, Zeavran Dasari, Vik, Ysille/Whistle, Wajida/Ji, Ubiyya, Rusimell Oash nee Fale, Xuba/Scars the mul, Rafe/Flatnose, or more recent characters.  I can't send you all kudos (though I sent many) but thank you for making my time here great.  I'm really going to miss playing with you guys.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Sorry to se you go.  Totally understand the why.  We'll keep the boneswords sharpened and the sands thirsty should you and the world around you get to a place where you're ready and have a desire to return!
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on November 10, 2016, 09:43:01 AM
Sorry to se you go.  Totally understand the why.  We'll keep the boneswords sharpened and the sands thirsty should you and the world around you get to a place where you're ready and have a desire to return!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

You will be missed. You can come back whenever time allows. We'll be here. Missing you.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

You will be missed for sure! Good luck with your writing, and if you ever need to blow off steam, Armageddon will be there for you. I'm taking a break from playing, and I will say that lurking on the forum at least keeps you connected with the community and engaged in that way.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Thanks for your well-wishes guys, this really is the best community. <3 <3 <3

I do want to clarify that this isn't an I'm taking a break sort of thing. I've taken breaks before, and this is not that. I love playing the game. Love it, really want to play it, have played even when I've had low or uncertain play times.

But my creative energy is finite. I can either throw it at writing and not have any for Arm, or I can play Arm and my writing suffers. If I'm playing Arm, I'm putting creative energy into the game that I should be putting into writing. Especially since I haven't yet "made it" as a writer.  And when I've finally "made it" as a writer, whether traditional or self-pub, I won't have time.

Anyway, I did want to explain that this isn't a despair kind of thing or something I've arrived at lightly, just in case anyone had three wrong idea!

RIP Tahkarion. Never forget.

I look forward to following your creative process on the blog <3

Being able to sacrifice doing something you love doing to work for a higher purpose is admirable. Wish you luck with your writing.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Damn it, no... I want to act all childlike, stomp my feet and not store your character.  *sigh*  I understand though and wish you the best, you will be missed.  I hope you still hang around on the forums as you said, you will always be a part of this game.  Your submissions, your feedback, and the absolute pleasure it's been to staff over clans you're in.

I now get the sad, miserable, depressing duty of storage of your current character.  I may just guilt trip you a tiny bit...  *sniff* okay... not at all.  I hope your pen writes smoothly, the words continue to flow, and the spirit of creativity ever with you.

<3
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Nooooooooooooooo
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Thank you so much for your time with us. Treasure that creative energy!

More tears  ;)

Thanks Valeria, and good luck with your other creative pursuits. 

Not sure I ever RP'd in a clan with you for very long, but given the fact you have been around since before I was even using the internet its a safe bet to sayyou had at least a good run. Good luck with your books and such. And as Whitt said, boneswords shall be kept sharp and the arrows will still be dipped in poison if you return.

:'(

Bright to the Brightland. Ain't shit no more. 
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

November 10, 2016, 05:42:18 PM #14 Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 05:51:19 PM by Zenith
I have only known you on two PCs, but I have loved the depth of both of them. Good luck with your writing aspirations, and although I don't know you I am always happy to be a beta reader. You're right that we need more tolderance now. I hope you're incredibly successful and reach a wide audience. Break a keyboard.

We were lucky to have you.

Many, many thanks.  Now go kick ass in a different pond.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Aww damn. Best of luck to you.

You'll be missed!  Best of luck with your writing and looking forward to seeing your name in bright lights someday!
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

It's cute that you think this means you can leave.

Quote from: Yam on November 21, 2016, 04:23:57 AM
It's cute that you think this means you can leave.

I haven't LEFT left, I'm just... not playing.  Or really reading the GDB right now, since I'm neck deep in NaNoWriMo, but reading the GDB is probably a thing I'll be doing until I die.

All the sads at this have really hit me in the feels though guys.  I do love you all to pieces.

I know I'm late to the party, but thank you for helping introduce me to the world, and for playing such a memorable character.  I wish you the best of luck with your writing, Valeria.  Goodness knows there are a whole passel of kids and adults out there who need your talent and inspiration right now.
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

I sort've think creativity is like love. The more you spend, the more you have. Someday you'll be back and better than ever. I can SMELL it.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I love you so very much and I'm so proud of you for taking a stand through your writing. You are adored and appreciated.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.