Dying instantly versus dying slowly?

Started by mel, November 05, 2016, 09:10:44 PM

Hi! I know how it is with spoilers and such here, so I'll try to be vague.

My (first) long lived character just ate it, I'm still a little miffed about it because it seemed I went from half health to dead - but that's what I wanted to mention.

I had a few characters before this who all ate it on the same day I made them for various reasons, and with some of them, they'd be 'unconscious' in a sense? Not from stun, but having negative so much health, where you'd be bleeding out, I believe.

What determines whether or not you're going to die instantly or have a chance for 'someone' to heal you or wake up? The strength of whatever kills you?

basically certain attacks deal certain amounts of damage within a range.

so if you're at 30 hp and a mob deals 35 hp, you go to -5.

at -10 you're at the threshold of life and death.

at -11 and below you die.

so if you had like 20  hp and a mob hit you for 31 hp, you died instantly.

if they hit you for less, you enter "bleedout".
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Since the original question has been answered, I feel like high endurance should give you a larger bleedout pool. The stat always seemed to be outshined by everything else. I always build my DnD characters with high hp pools. Never liked glass cannons. I enjoyed the all around tough hp, AC, saves sort even if they didn't one shot something 4 CR higher.

I would like to see a higher bleedout pool, but I also acknowledge that 99% of the time you could triple it and it's not going to matter.

An unexpected carru mauling south of Tuluk at 10:30am on a Thursday?

QUIT DIE is a command for a reason. :)

I've only ever come across one person who was incap and I killed him with my bandage attempt.

Alright, that clears it up, thanks!

Well, a higher bleedout pool wouldn't hurt, I think. In those 99% situations where you're alone, you're dead anyway, yes - but in the situations where you're with other people, I think it's more feasible that a character would be able to survive, especially due to the higher pool.

Quote from: mel on November 05, 2016, 09:56:24 PM
Alright, that clears it up, thanks!

Well, a higher bleedout pool wouldn't hurt, I think. In those 99% situations where you're alone, you're dead anyway, yes - but in the situations where you're with other people, I think it's more feasible that a character would be able to survive, especially due to the higher pool.

Only if the enemies were ACTUALLY cleared out!

Sorry to hear about the death! Especially when its one of the first longer-lived PCs, its a rough thing. As a note: If you're at less than 0, in the bleedout stage, you can also "quit die"... sometimes you CAN recover if the mob/attacker doesn't finish the job but other times you don't have 30minutes to wait.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.