Started by Freman Scum, October 17, 2002, 07:45:49 AM

Should Nakki's start with:

Boots of some kind.
35 (60.3%)
Black shoes.
23 (39.7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: October 17, 2002, 07:45:49 AM

I've only ever seen nobles and new characters in shoes.

For all the different forms of foot wear, be it, shoes, boots, moccosins, sandles, foot pads etc, I've only really every seen people in Allanak wear boots.

Perhaps the starting gear should be changed from the black shoes to a simple pair of boots?

Personally, I think the starting gear has been getting better and better, as it was just a tunic and a pair of trousers when I got here, and the pocket in the trousers could only hold 100 coins, heh.  Espesually since different area's are now getting different gear.

Whata ya think peoples?
For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night.~

Well, shoes aren't exactly too bad. I mean, shoes we have today (That are cloth and polyester and what not) would probably not be too good. But there are some shoes that do resemble boots, just with a low top. For instance these Timberland dress shoes I've seen. I say leave the shoes, fork up for boots :P

What about SANDALS?  Desert wear, folks.

-Crystal D
Darnell sleeps with goats.'
'Lysinder is much less finicky.'

-From the Shield of Ignorance

Plenty of NPCs wear shoes, sandals, and a few even go barefoot.  The shoes aren't so bad.  I think 'rinthers start with boots though, so if you want a free pair of really awful boots, make your next 'nak character a rinther.   :roll:  I think boots are more for travellers and soldiers/guards, people that need something sturdy, it just happens that most PCs fall into this catagory.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I remember sandals generally got shot down because they're -not- good desert wear. Sure, they're comfy to go to the beach in, but in reality, they're terrible. They don't hold to your feet all that well, they let the HOT sand touch your feet, you can get massive sunburn on your feet, blistering if you are quite the desert traveller. Not to mention they smell like ass. But that's just aesthetic ;->

quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Why not start Allanaki Merchants, Elementalists, Thieves, Burglars, Assassins, with shoes and Allanaki Rangers, Warriors with newbie boots? That way people will be more likely to get the appropriate footwear?

Note: I know it doesn't cover all the classes, but you get the idea

The problem with John's idea is that you would know what class range the newbie is in OOCly.

Why not make it random then? When you start off you have a 50-50 chance of getting the desired footwear you want. If you don't get the starting footwear you want then for less then 50 'sid you can go to the local bazaar and buy the footwear you do want, they're always selling starting gear.

I think all of the starting gear should be a wide range of random equipment.  Sure, if it were easy enough I think it would be nice for it to be class specific... BUT... the reality is, most new players are commoners and most commoners are going to be wearing some form of desert gear, regardless.  They have to be outside most of the time, they can't lounge around and expect to be fed and clothed.  Also, it sucks seeing new characters all wearing the same starting equipment.

Make it a wide range of moderate desert gear and also randomize the
amount and quality of the equipment they get.  So one time you might just get some sandcloth trousers, shirt, and sandals and the next character might get some headgear of some sort, maybe a dagger and a belt or cloak.  Makes things much more interesting and harder to guess who the nobs are... I mean newbs. Heh.

Whaty would be a lot better is if there was a shopkeeper in the beginning room who would sell you clothing. Only clothing, no armor, but clothes and boots and shoes, etc. Then when you got to the world, they would be worthless. This is possible. I did it with one of my muds to check it, and it worked well.

I would say sell, footwear, cloaks, and shirt and pants and skirts and dresses. Also maybe a limited selection of rings. Just some spruce up shit. It would cost no money, and it would always be cotton or canvas or maybe sandcloth, but I think this would change the newbie obbsession with getting clothes a lot.

Just an idea.

Venomz
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870