Author Topic: about you, IRL  (Read 11260 times)

Supified

Re: about you, IRL
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Mid thirty, masters in engineering management, municipal programmer and support analyst for water utilities.  I'm secrety trying to amass enough wealth to create a lab whose sole purpose is to help women who want to conceive without a male do so in hopes that a few generations of offering such a service men will cease to exist entirely.   Oh and I have a bunny.

(edit: Because without male involvement only daughters are possible.)

tiptoe

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
I'm a research scientist and mathematician and jew

As for me IRL... I'm 29 and working on my masters in Biology/Neuroscience. Planning to continue on for my PhD in Neuroscience. I work as a TA for the University and for the most part I don't mind it. I have three cats and two giant dogs. I'm originally from Texas but moved north for grad school.

Science buddies!

I'm studying the neural circuits and cellular/molecular components of nociception, in invertebrates.  What about you?

Yay, science! I'm studying the role of Oxytocin in olfactory-based social recognition/sensory processing in non-human primates.

Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
I'm 35.

I was studying economics and finance when 9/11 happened.  I joined the Marine Corps infantry shortly afterward, to go to Afghanistan.  I've never laid eyes on frickin' Afghanistan.  I fought in the Battle of Ar-Ramadi, Iraq in '04.  After I got out, I got a B.Sci. in Cell and Developmental Biology with a minor in ethical philosophy.  I then went to medical school (I was at the same school, but one class ahead of Bogre, coincidentally) and got an M.D.  I started general surgery residency, but after about 6 months I knew that being a doctor just isn't my style, so I quit.

Currently, I'm a corrections officer at the county jail, and I volunteer with the local search and rescue association.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yam

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

As for me IRL... I'm 29 and working on my masters in Biology/Neuroscience. Planning to continue on for my PhD in Neuroscience. I work as a TA for the University and for the most part I don't mind it. I have three cats and two giant dogs. I'm originally from Texas but moved north for grad school.

Science buddies!

I'm studying the neural circuits and cellular/molecular components of nociception, in invertebrates.  What about you?

What up I do underwater volcanoes. They don't have brains but they have gas and microbes and stuff which is pretty similar. Same thing basically.

Belraina

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
Former life flight nurse, former emergency room nurse, former psychiatric nurse,  and now med surge nurse. Mom to two rough boys, and working on writing a book about something.
It's None of My Business What You Think of Me

Case

• Helper
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »

Science buddies!

Efficient language structures and stuff like that. Computational Linguisticsy things.

Refugee

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 12:42:37 AM »
I'm an old geek.  I'm a 57-year-old electronics technician.  I learned my craft in the U.S. Navy maintaining crypto gear.  That's where I learned to roleplay as I fell in with a group of D&D players who met every night in my barracks when I was going to crypto maintenance school in 1979.  We only stopped the game for Battlestar Gallactica and Mork and Mindy!

I happened to be discharged in Silicon Valley in 1980, which was a great place and time to be a 21yo electronics technician.  I worked for a lot of years fixing computers and watched them change from things the size of refrigerators to these little miraculous things we have these days.  Now I am semi-retired and have a little company that takes care of computers and networks, but I don't really do much of that myself anymore, unless things get really messed up.

Next spring we will be retiring to a little cabin on 10 acres wayyyy out in the sticks, and plan to raise chickens, rabbits, bees and a jersey cow.  I have a lot of work left to do on that cabin.  I wish I was there now!  It's little and there's no plumbing yet and no electricity, but I really feel happier when I'm there.  I get a little twitchy without my computer though.  I've never been without one since I got my first in 1980. 

I've been married for 36 years, and have one daughter who just got out of the AF where she was a Captain, now she is doing grad work in medieval history.  No grandchildren yet but I'm looking forward to that!  She and her husband live in Washington D.C.  My little cabin on the hill will be closer to her than I am now, which is good.  We are building her a tiny little cabin on the land so she can come visit whenever she wants, and bring her cats.  Our 80-lb Gordon Setter would just -love- to have them in the cabin with him...but none of the furniture would survive the chase I think.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Future corpse.

650Booger

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »

Next spring we will be retiring to a little cabin on 10 acres wayyyy out in the sticks, and plan to raise chickens, rabbits, bees and a jersey cow.  I have a lot of work left to do on that cabin.  I wish I was there now!  It's little and there's no plumbing yet and no electricity, but I really feel happier when I'm there.  I get a little twitchy without my computer though.  I've never been without one since I got my first in 1980. 

Here's hoping you can get cable out there, so you can continue to play Arm.  What would retirement be with no Arm?
Also hello from a fellow Bay Arean.  The 650 in my handle represents San Mateo County!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Fathi

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 02:02:18 AM »
I'm a journalist/author/talking head who does sports on the teevee and radio these days. I'm based in New Zealand but do most of my media stuff via Denver and Canada.

Most of the next few months of my life is going to be spent designing and building a house, which is neat. It's my first. It's in a really ecologically rich area that will help my bird conservation hobby immensely, which is nifty.

In my spare time (ha) I tinker away at books that nobody's actively paying me to write yet, currently a horror-comedy about a friendship between a down-on-his-luck photographer and a reanimated corpse who keeps forgetting she's dead. I'm also working on a radio play to be released as a podcast, although that's a long-term project because I don't want to use my own voice apart from maybe narrating. So I might try to actually fundraise to pay voice actors. I dunno.

Being a writer is really cool but I've found it's had a weird effect on all my other hobbies. I've been trying to take more photos recently to compensate. If anyone wants to follow along I'm @caseydownunder on instagram, although I'll probably stop using it again within a couple months like I always do.

It's been fun reading about what's important to so many of you guys!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Riev

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
It's been fun reading about what's important to so many of you guys!

Agreed! I'm always jealous of other people with interesting passions. 31 years old, and the only passion I have is being left alone.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
What do you guys love and hate to eat?

I love ramen, salad, hotdogs, vegetables. I hate sweet things, especially sweet desserts, but I've trained myself to like fruit out of necessity (am on a partly raw food diet.)
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Riev

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »

Well. I'm a fat man child, so I still love me some mac and cheese (and all its variants, I'm a fan of making a roux and using Seriously Sharp cheddar oh man), as well as APPARENTLY zucchini pasta (spiralized) with some garlic and cheese. Its freaking delicious.

I genuinely dislike red onions and green peppers. I also have some form of gout, so I can't really eat beans or fish (and I'm not crying over it)
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Refugee

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
Here's hoping you can get cable out there, so you can continue to play Arm.  What would retirement be with no Arm?
Also hello from a fellow Bay Arean.  The 650 in my handle represents San Mateo County!

No cable!  DSL is being looked at in the area but not yet.  Most cell phones don't work there but we've found a provider that does, most the time...  I'm talking the sticks!  Deer and wild turkeys walk right by your porch while you're sitting there watching.  DSL is high on my list, I would be like a Borg whose lost connection with the collective without my internet.  I can connect through my phone by setting up a hot spot of course.

Sorry, not a Bay Arean anymore!  We left Silicon Valley in 1984, moved to SoCal and I worked at Edwards AFB for a government contractor for several years.  I ran a 16-tech shop that maintained the processing systems for flight test out of Ridley Mission Control.  In 1996 we moved to the Azores for 3 years, then to the St. Louis area where we are now.

Narf

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »

Deer and wild turkeys walk right by your porch while you're sitting there watching. 

I don't know if the area I live in is just weird, but in Oregon this is not something you would say to indicate you live in the wilds.

I live in what is technically a city, and deer and wild turkey are frequent sights throughout the residential areas. My house is a mile and a half deep into the city and I regularly have deer camp out in my backyard and eat my cherries.

Refugee

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
I don't know if the area I live in is just weird, but in Oregon this is not something you would say to indicate you live in the wilds.

I live in what is technically a city, and deer and wild turkey are frequent sights throughout the residential areas. My house is a mile and a half deep into the city and I regularly have deer camp out in my backyard and eat my cherries.
Cherry flavored venison...

Armaddict

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »
In my spare time (ha) I tinker away at books that nobody's actively paying me to write yet, currently a horror-comedy about a friendship between a down-on-his-luck photographer and a reanimated corpse who keeps forgetting she's dead.

Just wanted you to know I stared at this for about five seconds before bursting into laughter.  This has tremendous potential for hilarious wtf moments.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Hauwke

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2016, 04:30:33 AM »
Im a 20 year old father of 1 and live down under in the land of vegimite. I work in an office furniture store.

Fathi

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »

I love ramen, salad, hotdogs, vegetables. I hate sweet things, especially sweet desserts, but I've trained myself to like fruit out of necessity (am on a partly raw food diet.)

I don't really hate to eat anything. I LOVE fruit and especially avocados. I am just a perpetual motion machine of eating though so I'm really not picky.

Currently I am eating a ham and egg breakfast burrito.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Hauwke

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 04:43:33 AM »
I like to eat my mums weekend roast, stuffs amazing.

Hate to eat avocado(allergic to it so meh)

Refugee

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
I love a filet mignon, wrapped in bacon and char-broiled medium rare, with steak fries soaking up the juice, and bacon-wrapped scallops char-broiled on skewers on the side, with sourdough bread slathered with butter.

Hate?  Carrots.  I hate carrots.  And raw tomatoes.  One morning when I was in first or 2nd grade, a bunch of big kids pelted me with rotten tomatoes from a neighbor's garden, and I had to go around all day with that on me.  Can't stand the smell of raw tomatoes ever since.

(I was trying to pelt them too, it just didn't work out well for me.  I might even have been the one who started it, I don't remember, but I had prepared myself by putting an old rusty bird cage over my head like a helmet.  I wasn't being bullied or anything.)

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
When I'm not playing Arm or I've played too much, I sometimes play Aardwolf. I enjoy the quests. I try to go to areas that are below my level because a lot of areas have aggros that are several levels above everything else. That game has the best experience-recording and leveling system that I know of in a game. You feel like every monster you kill matters to the accumulated experience in your tier. In every tier, you play once as each class, accumulating classes, from level 1 to 200 each class, and then you go up a tier after you get all the classes, going back to a single class. There are nine tiers. Each tier you pass gives you benefits that are worth losing your levels and classes. No rp-enforced, though.

I can't stand the smell of cooked ferns.

I love squid jerky, chobani flips.

I apparently have 130 i.q. but I often have trouble remembering my eight times multiplication tables. I can't concentrate on future moves in chess and I get confused trying to map constellations. I have a pair of connected-to-each-other mental ticks out of which many small mental ticks affect my life and I find my own mental state fascinating. (Its the scientist in my that wants to be a thing.) It is not crippling, although it is visible in my daily life. One time, after I had been taking medicine for a while, I felt some of the fogginess leave my head. In all honesty? That fogginess had been there all my life and I didn't even realize it was there. My only thing is that I wish I could make decisions and then stick with them. It would let my characters live longer.

I'm half-Korean so I love learning. Philosophy and chemistry are my big winners, although I enjoy every subject. Never had to study once for language arts. I'm curious about how things work, and have a Stephen Hawking book checked out from the library right now. That guy is not a fan of Einstein, even though his work is based on what Einstein has discovered.

My father does not believe in quicksand or black holes.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2016, 07:16:34 PM »
33 year old male car/light truck senior mechanic out of Dallas, Texas. Played Arm off and on since approx 17.  Had approximately a 7th grade education but passed GED and took some community college courses.

Thought I'd do something in IT as a kid but turns out I really like tough, physical work. The programmers in my first community college class looked very unhealthy and unhappy.

Began running around with a group of elves calling themselves the Soh with my free time while a part-timer loading trucks at UPS at early 20 something.

Fitness nerd that eats too much meat with a preference for fish and pork. Play basketball. Whisky drinker.

Use to get shipped around shops/jobs on the regular via a bad temper but work quality was high so never got fired.

Starting to mellow these days.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:28:17 PM by Hot_Dancer »
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Dunetrade55

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
36 years old, ex-Infantry, bipolar disorder with a history of head injuries, overall IQ of 126, processing speed below 80, and these days in the tenth percentile. Currently on anti-psychotics, but always impulsive. I find algebra and obscurely related things fun to consider and fiddle with, and have a wide range of interests and hobbies, some of which I've abandoned for newer hobbies I found more to my liking (from abstract art to sound to writing). Oddly wide range of job experience, my favorites being customer service, sheet metal fabrication, and delivery driving up to 400 miles away. Currently unemployed, considered disabled due to mental illness.

Early history of trouble with the law, got savvy, stopped getting caught (or at least arrested when I did). Got my GED in the tenth grade, spent a lot of time touring couches and ingesting copious amounts of LSD, almost all of which I didn't pay for. Experiments with various substances led to eventually experimenting with dietary supplements to self medicate for something that, I honestly feel, has almost nothing to do with substance use. Never liked meth or cocaine, tried them, was like, meh, no. Too expensive and too habit forming. Got stuck on booze mostly in an attempt to numb the pain that's been there since I was a small child, and never quite shook it.

Likes to read about popular science and completely misses the point. Likes to rant endlessly about crazy bullshit. Likes moonlit nights, and being in remote places where you can see all the stars. Enjoys creative hobbies which he mistakenly believes are all inter-connected by a mysterious force he terms "inspiration". Likes to read, a LOT, likes classical books on strategy, as well as Zen Buddhism. Likes normal Buddhism too. Is a pacifist who spends a lot of time dwelling on past mistakes and considering how to prevent them in the future. Fails a lot. Is a passionate person who rejects positive and negative duality. Plays an ancient text-based game near religiously because no matter how many times he tries to walk away, an inspiration drags him back. Loves to see others enjoy themselves and be happy, hates causing or reinforcing pain, though recognizes the occasional necessity. Likes to tell stories, especially when others like to hear them. Places little value on "truth", seeing it as an obstacle to the bigger picture at times. Plays chess, quality of game is relative to opponent's skill-level, unfortunately makes people who say they play well cry, then feels bad about crushing their spirits.
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

tortall

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »
Revive!

I'm a 31 year old admin assistant. You're going to think I'm nuts but I work for the Boy Scouts as an admin for the Director of Camping. But that means I get to go to summer camp and do archery and shoot 22s. Which I'm actually good at! Give me a target that doesn't move and I'll hit whatever spot you tell me to! More dime shots than I can recall. Moving targets though I can't do. I attempted shotgun. Didn't hit a thing!

I'm a Girl Scout leader and the local cookie pusher. I have a husband that I oddly did NOT meet on Arm(though my only two boyfriends before him I both met in Arm and they both lived in Kansas) and we've been together for 6 years as of last night and married for almost 4. He has a daughter)(10) from a previous marriage so I get the fun part of being a mom with having to carry it around inside me for 9+ months and deal with the painful birth. Plus we only have her on the weekends so we can still do what we want to go.

I build and perform puppets. Primarily Star Trek and Doctor Who, though much more of the latter. My husband and I are Felt Nerdy and we perform at a total of 5 conventions in the Southeast. We've been doing it for about 4 years now and you nerds in the Southeast should come to one of the conventions and see us. Our puppets are awesome. Plus I make Dalek finger puppets that glow in the dark.

Food! I like fries way to much. And since I've had a desk job for just over five years, that's not a good thing. I also like pizza, spaghetti, philly cheese steak, baked burssel sprouts, and avacados. I'm really bad at eating good.

I also still play PokemonGo and have caught 111 different types. I think. My phone is off and takes forever to turn on so I'm not going to check.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.