Author Topic: about you, IRL  (Read 11265 times)

Jingo

Re: about you, IRL
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »
A podcast about serial killers sounds way more interesting than another podcast of awkward people awkwardly playing d&d. What is it called?

Last Podcast on the Left. These guys are amazing. Start with one of the big-hitter episodes. The research done by Marcus Parks is phenomenal.

I'm a bit too squeemish for the serial killer stuff. But I love their conspiracy and apocalypse cult coverage. All the things I didn't know about Aum Shinrikyo.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you wont find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
I'm 30 years old, and I currently work in sculpture conservation and art restoration in Los Angeles. I've played Armageddon since I was 15, so quite literally, half of my life.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Riev

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
I hope to take the money I've made and the experience I've gained to become a producer for eSports television.  Wish me luck!

Yes, please. So few eSports events are produced with the quality I, as an American, have come to expect from our "regular" sports events. Often they are just over-extravagant, with attempts to mirror real sports analysis with people you're not quite sure why they qualify as an analyst.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »
I hope to take the money I've made and the experience I've gained to become a producer for eSports television.  Wish me luck!

Yes, please. So few eSports events are produced with the quality I, as an American, have come to expect from our "regular" sports events. Often they are just over-extravagant, with attempts to mirror real sports analysis with people you're not quite sure why they qualify as an analyst.

These are also my criticisms, and me knowing how all of it is supposed to work, when I watch an eSports production, I laugh, but secretly die a little inside.  I want it to be better, and so that's why I want to pursue it.
Where it will go

Hashi

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
I'm a lawyer doing civil litigation (people suing each other) work, a lot of it involving construction in some way. 
I've been playing MUDs for about twenty years.  Started out on a viciously hack 'n slash one called DarkCastle, whose Head World Implementor at the time was the woman that Arm knows as Sanvean.  I was in her clan and recall several of its members talking about Arm and how awesome they thought it was and thinking to myself... full roleplay?  F--- That!  So it took me a long time to make my way on to Arm and I'm afraid I picked up a lot of bad powergaming, twink-type habits and mentalities along the way before getting here.   But I'm trying to reform, I promise!

lostinspace

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger.

The eSports stuff can be pretty terrible, I went to Heroes of the Dorm early this yeah and it was insufferable. It was one of the first eSports events to be shown on ESPN and they spent every single moment trying to get the crowd riled up and loud for the cameras. In fact, they tried to get us to practice it so much that by the time we were supposed to actually cheer most of us were tired of yelling.
3/21/16 Never Forget

lostinspace

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger. I started my MUDs with a Wheel of Time themed mud that ran on diku, eventually becoming an assistant coder. When we dropped down to 1-2 players I got a recommendation from another immortal to try Arm.

The eSports stuff can be pretty terrible, I went to Heroes of the Dorm early this yeah and it was insufferable. It was one of the first eSports events to be shown on ESPN and they spent every single moment trying to get the crowd riled up and loud for the cameras. In fact, they tried to get us to practice it so much that by the time we were supposed to actually cheer most of us were tired of yelling.
3/21/16 Never Forget

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger.

Fox and ESPN are my two biggest clients.  One of the worst things a broadcast wants is empty seats, especially behind the talent booth.  It sucks the air out of the room if your only visible crowd is a 60 year old woman picking her nose and talking about gardenias.  You want screaming drunk young adults with face paint on.  You want passion.  It's harder to get out of the eSports crowd, I never remember a crowd of football fans who didn't overreact at the sight of a camera.
Where it will go

Narana

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
I am a college drop-out who hopes to back to it come December. Not much to say otherwise. I don't have a job. I get incredibly stressed to the point of it being crippling doing even the most basic of things in an environment with a lot of unknown people, even though I know I can do my area of expertise better than a lot of others.

In other words, like someone else said, nothing particularly interesting.
Counting all the assholes in the room...

Well...
                                                                       Im definitely not alone!

lostinspace

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 11:12:29 AM »
You want passion.  It's harder to get out of the eSports crowd, I never remember a crowd of football fans who didn't overreact at the sight of a camera.

This is exactly the problem, and frankly I think the approach they're taking with eSports is wrong. They're trying so hard to fit the traditional sports formula, but it's just not the same. I'm pretty sure over 3/4 the room didn't give a shit about any tradional sports, because at one point they asked us to bring out that Seatlle Seahawk rowdiness and someone tried starting the chant. I'd say about a quarter of the room picked it up fopr a solid 15 seconds before it petered out.

I really like how they do it for TI, they stream on their own website. They have camera on the crowd, but only cut to them WHEN something exciting is happening, and it's great. Look at the crowd in this picture, http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/article/201308/08/20130808042558a0djqew8icv9uvf2.jpg, there are 2 people who fit the description you've brought up, but I still remember it 2 years later because WHEN the character they were dressed up was picked, they ran up and down the aisles and got the crowd going.

We might want to split this off into a separate thread if we want to keep discussing it.
3/21/16 Never Forget

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
We might want to split this off into a separate thread if we want to keep discussing it.

You can if you want, but I pretty much agree with you.  I don't know why they'd even bring up the Seahawks, just because it's in Seattle.  Maybe if they'd paid Marshawn Lynch to come by to say "I just came here so I won't get fined."   8)
Where it will go

Bogre

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
I'm a resident MD in a surgical sub-specialty.

Sometimes I Arm when I sleep and vice versa. I've played muds since I was 11, and Arm since 2003. I can also be found lurking in some of the other RPIs.

I have a big family of sibs. I've done one APM, deep in the heart of Texas.

I read a lot (become my goodreads friend) and my secret is that I really like to dance.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Barzalene

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »
Grumpy old cat lady.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Riev

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
Grumpy old cat lady.

This is true. Except not so grumpy.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Akaramu

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »
Resident autist who occasionally rambles about games and stuff.

Seeker

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Seeker.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
I have a big family of sibs. I've done one APM, deep in the heart of Texas.

That was my first APM! I remember how pretty your eyes are.  :-*
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
I keep trying to post in this thread but it comes off sounding as a dating profile.  I'm a childfree queer polyamorist 30-something writer who does law to make money and likes making beaded jewelry.  I have cats and a dog and there is fur on everything I own and I live in rural hinterlands of the mitten state.  I want goats.  I wish I had a small murder of miniature silky fainting goats.  Zoltan won't let me get goats.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

manonfire

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
I keep trying to post in this thread but it comes off sounding as a dating profile.  I'm a childfree queer polyamorist 30-something writer who does law to make money and likes making beaded jewelry.  I have cats and a dog and there is fur on everything I own and I live in rural hinterlands of the mitten state.  I want goats.  I wish I had a small murder of miniature silky fainting goats.  Zoltan won't let me get goats.

I had goats growing up. They're hysterically funny.

tiptoe

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
My friend growing up had a herd of fainting goats. They were fun. I'm sure it was really healthy for them when we ran into the field screaming.

As for me IRL... I'm 29 and working on my masters in Biology/Neuroscience. Planning to continue on for my PhD in Neuroscience. I work as a TA for the University and for the most part I don't mind it. I have three cats and two giant dogs. I'm originally from Texas but moved north for grad school.

Feco

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:00:56 PM by Feco »
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
I don't really care if the goats actually faint, I just think goats are super cool.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
grumpy young cat lady

(I would be a grumpy young dog lady as well but this apartment doesn't allow dogs)

& a writer
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
Angry postal worker with a million cats and an addiction to bonbons. Currently 70 years old and live in a haunted attic.

... I think I just gave myself a writing prompt.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
about spooky me irl (to be thematic):

leper outcast who died 400 years ago. Currently enjoying unlife in Bali with a migrant colony of ghost-lepers
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."