Author Topic: about you, IRL  (Read 11261 times)

650Booger

about you, IRL
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi all, I'm curious to find out what sort of people are playing this game along with me.

I'm a wastewater treatment plant operator!  I play often at work on my phone (there is alot of downtime when things are running smoothly), and I bet people would laugh or be grossed out if they knew the environment I'm in while playing the game.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Jihelu

Re: about you, IRL
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
I work part time at a restaurant as a host while I take classes at a community college.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
I am looking for a job in the state's least-employed county. I have a sociology bachelor's from Columbus State University with a minor in English literature. I enjoed school and would go again if I could (probably go for a nursing technical this time, something that employers are looking for.) Overall I am happy and Arm is a major part of how I spend my non-chore time. College was necessary, because I am half Korean and have to at least try to be educated in order to have any honor. (I'm actually not kidding.)
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
This year I'm working 35 hours a week between two part-time retail jobs. Last year it was around 30 hours a week, plus another 20 hours a week in social media pre-production and marketing for a local fair/festival organizer. That job was mostly just so I could get free admission to the fairs/festivals and the organizer would buy me lunch, but it turned out he paid me between $100 and $200 in cash every Sunday, PLUS he bought me lunch and I got in free at the fairs/festivals.

I've worn a lot of hats, most of which have been in retail. Also did some office management, payroll, marketing, a slew of temp jobs right after I graduated college. I was also a street musician for several years and sang backup on a fellow street artist's single that got some airtime on the local FM station. Everything from Skippy Peanutbutter Sample Lady at the supermarket, to personal secretary to the marketing director of a major dairy in New England. I've kept busy :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

manonfire

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
Electrical engineer. I work in the power division of a global EPC firm, where I do design, construction, and commissioning of generating stations, mostly combined cycle and solar.

MeTekillot

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm a promiscuous bisexual 22 year old man. I am extremely vain. I am very superficial. I am very thoughtful. I am generally very easygoing unless it involves egregious outjustice then I am radical to the point of violence. I like to smoke weed but I need to do it less. I want to go to college for psychiatry. I have severe mental illness. I like to write and play roleplaying games. I am very into fitness. I don't care for popcorn. I have ADHD. I'm 6' 2".
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »
I signed an NDA for my job, but I spend all day helping people have better and more healthy lives.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
I'm a research scientist and mathematician and jew

Riev

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
Moderately educated, poorly nutritioned hairy white male. Working for one of the local behavioral health/developmental disability districts in the state, so I deal with a LOT of Medicaid issues on the daily.

I have a love-hate relationship with Arm, but there's just no other game out there that can make you feel accomplished.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Armaddict

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
I'm an introvert highly capable of being social when I need to be, but far preferring the company of a small, select circle of people.  Family is my highest regard.  I'm prone to being pulled into politics and theology, precisely because most of it is not really provable and thus can lead to exploration of new ideas.  If my dialogue partner can't handle weird things being said that I don't even necessarily believe in, I refrain from those topics.  I'm not religious, but I do enjoy feeling connected and appreciating things that are beautiful.  I have a protector/nurturer archetype...I'm almost never a physical aggressor unless it comes on someone else's behalf (during my more crazy years, I was well known to be the 'peaceful one' who would still hold his own in a fight if pressed).  I originally planned on being military (my family has always been involved in the military), but 'caught' the diabeetus from the flu when I was 13.

I went to school once for Philosophy, which was great for thinking deep thoughts about unemployment.  I worked for years in food service, then upgraded to blue collar factory and labor work, then returned to school (where I am now) for computer science, but my pace is slower, which is okay.  I make good money (by my standards as a bachelor) installing security systems over the summers, enough that I generally don't have to work for the other 7 months of the year.  I'm on hiatus from that currently, though, in order to take care of some family issues that if I didn't help with, would result in either crushing debt for the family or injury to someone in my family less physically able to deal with it.

Despite being an american-football player in high school, I was always the cool nerd who could get along with any clique.  But nerds are my people.  They entertain me more than anyone else, they talk about cooler things, and occasionally, get me to nerd out on things I didn't know I could nerd out on.  Over time, I just dropped the jockism (I'm trying to pick exercise back up regularly; right now it's sporadic), and embraced nerdism.

Armageddon is my best, most consistent outlet for my imagination to run wild and be made into something resembling real.  So I always come back to it.  But all video games and home-bodying in general are pleasing to me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Bahliker

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
Armageddon was a too-big chunk of my life when I was a teenager. And a 20-something. And maybe again now at 33 but I'm trying, ma. I'm trying.
I went to a bunch of APMs and mini-APMs and met my wife at one, sort of. We had played together, and have since, but we almost never get along in character.
I have two little girls. They play fairies.
I drive semis for UPS and sometimes if the government would let me work more than 60 hours I would. But sometimes I don't even want my 40.
I live in a suburb of kansas city that has lots of pretty trees. We're walking distance away from lots of cool things.
I want to play games all the time, so badly. Just so badly. D&D 5E, FATE, IKRPG, and our actual board game closet. The linens are crammed way up top to free up the bottom 3 shelves.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
I am a 22 year old high school graduate (Not a big deal except it is in my family these days honestly, and I had to work my ass off last minute to make sure I'd get it after my school declared that things that were supposed to count as credits towards select academic pursuits didn't anymore and didn't grandfather them in, thus ruining my carefully laid plans to barely try), working as a part-time associate at Wal-Mart in the meat department. I only got the job about a month ago, but so far aside from some issues it has been really wonderful.

I want to try and go to college for either economics, literature, or just to learn to be a librarian. None of them seem like a very good choice for employment but I know that I'll never pass anything I'm not interested in, since I'm ADHD and quit taking my medication about eight years ago because of massive issues with side-effects from all of them.

I like to play Arm and the many other MU*s I play because reading and the escape it offers have always been a major part of my life, and roleplaying with other people is an enhanced version of that escape and my life has always been something I wanted to get away from for a variety of reasons involving all sorts of issues I try not to dwell on much.

Did I do this right?
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »
I don't do anything of particular note.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
I'm 23, studying political science and communications. I'm currently taking a semester off school to work full time on campaigns. I'm currently the field director for a competitive state assembly campaign. I also smoke a lot of weed and have severe ADHD.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »
I'm 35. I'm the single mom of a kid who's finally old enough to allow me to do the stuff most of us got to do in our 20's. I'm the web producer for my city's premiere lifestyle and travel magazine, and I do freelance illustration in my spare time. I'm pierced and tattooed and dreadlocked and I dropped out of high school, and none of it has ever prevented me from finding gainful employment when I wanted it.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

MeTekillot

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »
Is this thread about us or our jobs?
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

Feco

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:38:13 AM »
8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:01:13 PM by Feco »
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
I have a good list of mental thingies, and if you ever see someone in the game who appears to have no interest in relationships/talking at points then that might be me (being a minority notwithstanding). Otherwise I don't think it affects my game that much.

As a child and teenager, because it wasn't time yet for me to start thinking about marriage, I had absolutely no interest in dating and people thought something was wrong with me. The reason I had friends was because I enjoyed spending time with them as people because they were close to me. I don't get lonely and if the word was never created I would not know the concept.

I've been on a Dragonball Z binge this year. Not Kai. I even watched all of season three. I enjoy manga online and read Fern Michaels and Sherryl Woods. William Johnstone too.

My favorite thing to do in the world is write fiction stories. I have some poetry too. One day I will publish something. What it is is I get bored about one-third the way through a normal-sized novel. I do better with short stories that all belong in the same world and have a sort of continuity with each other. Low fantasy, hard sci-fi, western.

I have piercings and I love, love, love them. They are my babies.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Your poor darlings, why do you all have ADHD?

Kankfly

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
I like playing text-based games where I pretend to be someone else.
I ruin immershunz.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »
I am a father of four, a high-functioning alcoholic, and I work as a field tech for an agriculture consulting firm. This means I am either bombing around massive empty farms on my beast of a fourwheeler or I am sitting behind my desk with literally nothing to do except read, listen to podcasts about serial killers, and play Arm.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bahliker

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
A podcast about serial killers sounds way more interesting than another podcast of awkward people awkwardly playing d&d. What is it called?

WarriorPoet

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
A podcast about serial killers sounds way more interesting than another podcast of awkward people awkwardly playing d&d. What is it called?

Last Podcast on the Left. These guys are amazing. Start with one of the big-hitter episodes. The research done by Marcus Parks is phenomenal.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
I'm a 29 year old American patriot married to a Canadian and father of a 1 year old badass.

I've been kicked out of an armed service for being belligerent then rejoined through the Marines. I've built rockets and bombs, been a martial arts instructor, water survival rescue swimmer instructor, infantryman, and now I'm on recruiting duty.

I just finished my first year as rookie recruiter of the year out of 2.5 states (my command's area.) I dislike recruiting because kids are "what can you give me" nowadays but it has its ups and downs. I generally work 60-80 hours a week because otherwise I'd have to recruit scum. Generally I start off with thrashing the applicant to see if they're a sissy or not. I can get a kid into shape, that's not an issue if they're weak or fat. I can't train someone to not be a lazy piece of welfare.

Anyway, I have a pretty awesome life. I'll retire from the Marines at 40 years old then probably write full time or whatever I want to do.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm a freelance audio engineer for live, remote (not studio) television productions.  Because most television is filmed in the studio and pre-taped (which I find so boring), this means 99% of what I do is sports-related.  Most of the things I do are NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB, as well as covering college-level competitions of those sports.  I work long hours and travel frequently, but make money, so the kids and girlfriend and my inner workaholic and adventurer are happy.

I hope to take the money I've made and the experience I've gained to become a producer for eSports television.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:25:00 AM by SuchDragonWow »
Where it will go

Jingo

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 11:26:42 AM »

Last Podcast on the Left. These guys are amazing. Start with one of the big-hitter episodes. The research done by Marcus Parks is phenomenal.

I'm a bit too squeemish for the serial killer stuff. But I love their conspiracy and apocalypse cult coverage. All the things I didn't know about Aum Shinrikyo.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »
I'm 30 years old, and I currently work in sculpture conservation and art restoration in Los Angeles. I've played Armageddon since I was 15, so quite literally, half of my life.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Riev

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
I hope to take the money I've made and the experience I've gained to become a producer for eSports television.  Wish me luck!

Yes, please. So few eSports events are produced with the quality I, as an American, have come to expect from our "regular" sports events. Often they are just over-extravagant, with attempts to mirror real sports analysis with people you're not quite sure why they qualify as an analyst.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 11:39:58 AM »

Yes, please. So few eSports events are produced with the quality I, as an American, have come to expect from our "regular" sports events. Often they are just over-extravagant, with attempts to mirror real sports analysis with people you're not quite sure why they qualify as an analyst.

These are also my criticisms, and me knowing how all of it is supposed to work, when I watch an eSports production, I laugh, but secretly die a little inside.  I want it to be better, and so that's why I want to pursue it.
Where it will go

Hashi

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 12:37:21 PM »
I'm a lawyer doing civil litigation (people suing each other) work, a lot of it involving construction in some way. 
I've been playing MUDs for about twenty years.  Started out on a viciously hack 'n slash one called DarkCastle, whose Head World Implementor at the time was the woman that Arm knows as Sanvean.  I was in her clan and recall several of its members talking about Arm and how awesome they thought it was and thinking to myself... full roleplay?  F--- That!  So it took me a long time to make my way on to Arm and I'm afraid I picked up a lot of bad powergaming, twink-type habits and mentalities along the way before getting here.   But I'm trying to reform, I promise!

lostinspace

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 05:48:48 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger.

The eSports stuff can be pretty terrible, I went to Heroes of the Dorm early this yeah and it was insufferable. It was one of the first eSports events to be shown on ESPN and they spent every single moment trying to get the crowd riled up and loud for the cameras. In fact, they tried to get us to practice it so much that by the time we were supposed to actually cheer most of us were tired of yelling.
3/21/16 Never Forget

lostinspace

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger. I started my MUDs with a Wheel of Time themed mud that ran on diku, eventually becoming an assistant coder. When we dropped down to 1-2 players I got a recommendation from another immortal to try Arm.

The eSports stuff can be pretty terrible, I went to Heroes of the Dorm early this yeah and it was insufferable. It was one of the first eSports events to be shown on ESPN and they spent every single moment trying to get the crowd riled up and loud for the cameras. In fact, they tried to get us to practice it so much that by the time we were supposed to actually cheer most of us were tired of yelling.
3/21/16 Never Forget

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger.

Fox and ESPN are my two biggest clients.  One of the worst things a broadcast wants is empty seats, especially behind the talent booth.  It sucks the air out of the room if your only visible crowd is a 60 year old woman picking her nose and talking about gardenias.  You want screaming drunk young adults with face paint on.  You want passion.  It's harder to get out of the eSports crowd, I never remember a crowd of football fans who didn't overreact at the sight of a camera.
Where it will go

Narana

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
I am a college drop-out who hopes to back to it come December. Not much to say otherwise. I don't have a job. I get incredibly stressed to the point of it being crippling doing even the most basic of things in an environment with a lot of unknown people, even though I know I can do my area of expertise better than a lot of others.

In other words, like someone else said, nothing particularly interesting.
Counting all the assholes in the room...

Well...
                                                                       I´m definitely not alone!

lostinspace

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 11:12:29 AM »
You want passion.  It's harder to get out of the eSports crowd, I never remember a crowd of football fans who didn't overreact at the sight of a camera.

This is exactly the problem, and frankly I think the approach they're taking with eSports is wrong. They're trying so hard to fit the traditional sports formula, but it's just not the same. I'm pretty sure over 3/4 the room didn't give a shit about any tradional sports, because at one point they asked us to bring out that Seatlle Seahawk rowdiness and someone tried starting the chant. I'd say about a quarter of the room picked it up fopr a solid 15 seconds before it petered out.

I really like how they do it for TI, they stream on their own website. They have camera on the crowd, but only cut to them WHEN something exciting is happening, and it's great. Look at the crowd in this picture, http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/article/201308/08/20130808042558a0djqew8icv9uvf2.jpg, there are 2 people who fit the description you've brought up, but I still remember it 2 years later because WHEN the character they were dressed up was picked, they ran up and down the aisles and got the crowd going.

We might want to split this off into a separate thread if we want to keep discussing it.
3/21/16 Never Forget

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:57 PM »
We might want to split this off into a separate thread if we want to keep discussing it.

You can if you want, but I pretty much agree with you.  I don't know why they'd even bring up the Seahawks, just because it's in Seattle.  Maybe if they'd paid Marshawn Lynch to come by to say "I just came here so I won't get fined."   8)
Where it will go

Bogre

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
I'm a resident MD in a surgical sub-specialty.

Sometimes I Arm when I sleep and vice versa. I've played muds since I was 11, and Arm since 2003. I can also be found lurking in some of the other RPIs.

I have a big family of sibs. I've done one APM, deep in the heart of Texas.

I read a lot (become my goodreads friend) and my secret is that I really like to dance.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Barzalene

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »
Grumpy old cat lady.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Riev

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
Grumpy old cat lady.

This is true. Except not so grumpy.

Akaramu

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »
Resident autist who occasionally rambles about games and stuff.

Seeker

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »

Seeker.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
I have a big family of sibs. I've done one APM, deep in the heart of Texas.

That was my first APM! I remember how pretty your eyes are.  :-*
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
I keep trying to post in this thread but it comes off sounding as a dating profile.  I'm a childfree queer polyamorist 30-something writer who does law to make money and likes making beaded jewelry.  I have cats and a dog and there is fur on everything I own and I live in rural hinterlands of the mitten state.  I want goats.  I wish I had a small murder of miniature silky fainting goats.  Zoltan won't let me get goats.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

manonfire

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
I keep trying to post in this thread but it comes off sounding as a dating profile.  I'm a childfree queer polyamorist 30-something writer who does law to make money and likes making beaded jewelry.  I have cats and a dog and there is fur on everything I own and I live in rural hinterlands of the mitten state.  I want goats.  I wish I had a small murder of miniature silky fainting goats.  Zoltan won't let me get goats.

I had goats growing up. They're hysterically funny.

tiptoe

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:52 AM »
My friend growing up had a herd of fainting goats. They were fun. I'm sure it was really healthy for them when we ran into the field screaming.

As for me IRL... I'm 29 and working on my masters in Biology/Neuroscience. Planning to continue on for my PhD in Neuroscience. I work as a TA for the University and for the most part I don't mind it. I have three cats and two giant dogs. I'm originally from Texas but moved north for grad school.

Feco

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:00:56 PM by Feco »
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 01:58:17 PM »
I don't really care if the goats actually faint, I just think goats are super cool.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »
grumpy young cat lady

(I would be a grumpy young dog lady as well but this apartment doesn't allow dogs)

& a writer
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 02:28:52 PM »
Angry postal worker with a million cats and an addiction to bonbons. Currently 70 years old and live in a haunted attic.

... I think I just gave myself a writing prompt.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
about spooky me irl (to be thematic):

leper outcast who died 400 years ago. Currently enjoying unlife in Bali with a migrant colony of ghost-lepers
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Supified

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Mid thirty, masters in engineering management, municipal programmer and support analyst for water utilities.  I'm secrety trying to amass enough wealth to create a lab whose sole purpose is to help women who want to conceive without a male do so in hopes that a few generations of offering such a service men will cease to exist entirely.   Oh and I have a bunny.

(edit: Because without male involvement only daughters are possible.)

tiptoe

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »

As for me IRL... I'm 29 and working on my masters in Biology/Neuroscience. Planning to continue on for my PhD in Neuroscience. I work as a TA for the University and for the most part I don't mind it. I have three cats and two giant dogs. I'm originally from Texas but moved north for grad school.

Science buddies!

I'm studying the neural circuits and cellular/molecular components of nociception, in invertebrates.  What about you?

Yay, science! I'm studying the role of Oxytocin in olfactory-based social recognition/sensory processing in non-human primates.

Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2016, 08:10:30 PM »
I'm 35.

I was studying economics and finance when 9/11 happened.  I joined the Marine Corps infantry shortly afterward, to go to Afghanistan.  I've never laid eyes on frickin' Afghanistan.  I fought in the Battle of Ar-Ramadi, Iraq in '04.  After I got out, I got a B.Sci. in Cell and Developmental Biology with a minor in ethical philosophy.  I then went to medical school (I was at the same school, but one class ahead of Bogre, coincidentally) and got an M.D.  I started general surgery residency, but after about 6 months I knew that being a doctor just isn't my style, so I quit.

Currently, I'm a corrections officer at the county jail, and I volunteer with the local search and rescue association.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yam

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »

Science buddies!

I'm studying the neural circuits and cellular/molecular components of nociception, in invertebrates.  What about you?

What up I do underwater volcanoes. They don't have brains but they have gas and microbes and stuff which is pretty similar. Same thing basically.

Belraina

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 08:36:22 PM »
Former life flight nurse, former emergency room nurse, former psychiatric nurse,  and now med surge nurse. Mom to two rough boys, and working on writing a book about something.
It's None of My Business What You Think of Me

Case

• Helper
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »

Science buddies!

Efficient language structures and stuff like that. Computational Linguisticsy things.

Refugee

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 12:42:37 AM »
I'm an old geek.  I'm a 57-year-old electronics technician.  I learned my craft in the U.S. Navy maintaining crypto gear.  That's where I learned to roleplay as I fell in with a group of D&D players who met every night in my barracks when I was going to crypto maintenance school in 1979.  We only stopped the game for Battlestar Gallactica and Mork and Mindy!

I happened to be discharged in Silicon Valley in 1980, which was a great place and time to be a 21yo electronics technician.  I worked for a lot of years fixing computers and watched them change from things the size of refrigerators to these little miraculous things we have these days.  Now I am semi-retired and have a little company that takes care of computers and networks, but I don't really do much of that myself anymore, unless things get really messed up.

Next spring we will be retiring to a little cabin on 10 acres wayyyy out in the sticks, and plan to raise chickens, rabbits, bees and a jersey cow.  I have a lot of work left to do on that cabin.  I wish I was there now!  It's little and there's no plumbing yet and no electricity, but I really feel happier when I'm there.  I get a little twitchy without my computer though.  I've never been without one since I got my first in 1980. 

I've been married for 36 years, and have one daughter who just got out of the AF where she was a Captain, now she is doing grad work in medieval history.  No grandchildren yet but I'm looking forward to that!  She and her husband live in Washington D.C.  My little cabin on the hill will be closer to her than I am now, which is good.  We are building her a tiny little cabin on the land so she can come visit whenever she wants, and bring her cats.  Our 80-lb Gordon Setter would just -love- to have them in the cabin with him...but none of the furniture would survive the chase I think.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Future corpse.

650Booger

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »

Next spring we will be retiring to a little cabin on 10 acres wayyyy out in the sticks, and plan to raise chickens, rabbits, bees and a jersey cow.  I have a lot of work left to do on that cabin.  I wish I was there now!  It's little and there's no plumbing yet and no electricity, but I really feel happier when I'm there.  I get a little twitchy without my computer though.  I've never been without one since I got my first in 1980. 

Here's hoping you can get cable out there, so you can continue to play Arm.  What would retirement be with no Arm?
Also hello from a fellow Bay Arean.  The 650 in my handle represents San Mateo County!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Fathi

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2016, 02:02:18 AM »
I'm a journalist/author/talking head who does sports on the teevee and radio these days. I'm based in New Zealand but do most of my media stuff via Denver and Canada.

Most of the next few months of my life is going to be spent designing and building a house, which is neat. It's my first. It's in a really ecologically rich area that will help my bird conservation hobby immensely, which is nifty.

In my spare time (ha) I tinker away at books that nobody's actively paying me to write yet, currently a horror-comedy about a friendship between a down-on-his-luck photographer and a reanimated corpse who keeps forgetting she's dead. I'm also working on a radio play to be released as a podcast, although that's a long-term project because I don't want to use my own voice apart from maybe narrating. So I might try to actually fundraise to pay voice actors. I dunno.

Being a writer is really cool but I've found it's had a weird effect on all my other hobbies. I've been trying to take more photos recently to compensate. If anyone wants to follow along I'm @caseydownunder on instagram, although I'll probably stop using it again within a couple months like I always do.

It's been fun reading about what's important to so many of you guys!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Riev

« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
It's been fun reading about what's important to so many of you guys!

Agreed! I'm always jealous of other people with interesting passions. 31 years old, and the only passion I have is being left alone.

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
What do you guys love and hate to eat?

I love ramen, salad, hotdogs, vegetables. I hate sweet things, especially sweet desserts, but I've trained myself to like fruit out of necessity (am on a partly raw food diet.)

Riev

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »

Well. I'm a fat man child, so I still love me some mac and cheese (and all its variants, I'm a fan of making a roux and using Seriously Sharp cheddar oh man), as well as APPARENTLY zucchini pasta (spiralized) with some garlic and cheese. Its freaking delicious.

I genuinely dislike red onions and green peppers. I also have some form of gout, so I can't really eat beans or fish (and I'm not crying over it)

Refugee

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
Here's hoping you can get cable out there, so you can continue to play Arm.  What would retirement be with no Arm?
Also hello from a fellow Bay Arean.  The 650 in my handle represents San Mateo County!

No cable!  DSL is being looked at in the area but not yet.  Most cell phones don't work there but we've found a provider that does, most the time...  I'm talking the sticks!  Deer and wild turkeys walk right by your porch while you're sitting there watching.  DSL is high on my list, I would be like a Borg whose lost connection with the collective without my internet.  I can connect through my phone by setting up a hot spot of course.

Sorry, not a Bay Arean anymore!  We left Silicon Valley in 1984, moved to SoCal and I worked at Edwards AFB for a government contractor for several years.  I ran a 16-tech shop that maintained the processing systems for flight test out of Ridley Mission Control.  In 1996 we moved to the Azores for 3 years, then to the St. Louis area where we are now.

Narf

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »

Deer and wild turkeys walk right by your porch while you're sitting there watching. 

I don't know if the area I live in is just weird, but in Oregon this is not something you would say to indicate you live in the wilds.

I live in what is technically a city, and deer and wild turkey are frequent sights throughout the residential areas. My house is a mile and a half deep into the city and I regularly have deer camp out in my backyard and eat my cherries.

Refugee

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
I don't know if the area I live in is just weird, but in Oregon this is not something you would say to indicate you live in the wilds.

I live in what is technically a city, and deer and wild turkey are frequent sights throughout the residential areas. My house is a mile and a half deep into the city and I regularly have deer camp out in my backyard and eat my cherries.
Cherry flavored venison...

Armaddict

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »
In my spare time (ha) I tinker away at books that nobody's actively paying me to write yet, currently a horror-comedy about a friendship between a down-on-his-luck photographer and a reanimated corpse who keeps forgetting she's dead.

Just wanted you to know I stared at this for about five seconds before bursting into laughter.  This has tremendous potential for hilarious wtf moments.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Hauwke

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2016, 04:30:33 AM »
Im a 20 year old father of 1 and live down under in the land of vegimite. I work in an office furniture store.

Fathi

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »

I love ramen, salad, hotdogs, vegetables. I hate sweet things, especially sweet desserts, but I've trained myself to like fruit out of necessity (am on a partly raw food diet.)

I don't really hate to eat anything. I LOVE fruit and especially avocados. I am just a perpetual motion machine of eating though so I'm really not picky.

Currently I am eating a ham and egg breakfast burrito.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Hauwke

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 04:43:33 AM »
I like to eat my mums weekend roast, stuffs amazing.

Hate to eat avocado(allergic to it so meh)

Refugee

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »
I love a filet mignon, wrapped in bacon and char-broiled medium rare, with steak fries soaking up the juice, and bacon-wrapped scallops char-broiled on skewers on the side, with sourdough bread slathered with butter.

Hate?  Carrots.  I hate carrots.  And raw tomatoes.  One morning when I was in first or 2nd grade, a bunch of big kids pelted me with rotten tomatoes from a neighbor's garden, and I had to go around all day with that on me.  Can't stand the smell of raw tomatoes ever since.

(I was trying to pelt them too, it just didn't work out well for me.  I might even have been the one who started it, I don't remember, but I had prepared myself by putting an old rusty bird cage over my head like a helmet.  I wasn't being bullied or anything.)

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
When I'm not playing Arm or I've played too much, I sometimes play Aardwolf. I enjoy the quests. I try to go to areas that are below my level because a lot of areas have aggros that are several levels above everything else. That game has the best experience-recording and leveling system that I know of in a game. You feel like every monster you kill matters to the accumulated experience in your tier. In every tier, you play once as each class, accumulating classes, from level 1 to 200 each class, and then you go up a tier after you get all the classes, going back to a single class. There are nine tiers. Each tier you pass gives you benefits that are worth losing your levels and classes. No rp-enforced, though.

I can't stand the smell of cooked ferns.

I love squid jerky, chobani flips.

I apparently have 130 i.q. but I often have trouble remembering my eight times multiplication tables. I can't concentrate on future moves in chess and I get confused trying to map constellations. I have a pair of connected-to-each-other mental ticks out of which many small mental ticks affect my life and I find my own mental state fascinating. (Its the scientist in my that wants to be a thing.) It is not crippling, although it is visible in my daily life. One time, after I had been taking medicine for a while, I felt some of the fogginess leave my head. In all honesty? That fogginess had been there all my life and I didn't even realize it was there. My only thing is that I wish I could make decisions and then stick with them. It would let my characters live longer.

I'm half-Korean so I love learning. Philosophy and chemistry are my big winners, although I enjoy every subject. Never had to study once for language arts. I'm curious about how things work, and have a Stephen Hawking book checked out from the library right now. That guy is not a fan of Einstein, even though his work is based on what Einstein has discovered.

My father does not believe in quicksand or black holes.

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2016, 07:16:34 PM »
33 year old male car/light truck senior mechanic out of Dallas, Texas. Played Arm off and on since approx 17.  Had approximately a 7th grade education but passed GED and took some community college courses.

Thought I'd do something in IT as a kid but turns out I really like tough, physical work. The programmers in my first community college class looked very unhealthy and unhappy.

Began running around with a group of elves calling themselves the Soh with my free time while a part-timer loading trucks at UPS at early 20 something.

Fitness nerd that eats too much meat with a preference for fish and pork. Play basketball. Whisky drinker.

Use to get shipped around shops/jobs on the regular via a bad temper but work quality was high so never got fired.

Starting to mellow these days.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:28:17 PM by Hot_Dancer »
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Dunetrade55

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2016, 08:12:19 PM »
36 years old, ex-Infantry, bipolar disorder with a history of head injuries, overall IQ of 126, processing speed below 80, and these days in the tenth percentile. Currently on anti-psychotics, but always impulsive. I find algebra and obscurely related things fun to consider and fiddle with, and have a wide range of interests and hobbies, some of which I've abandoned for newer hobbies I found more to my liking (from abstract art to sound to writing). Oddly wide range of job experience, my favorites being customer service, sheet metal fabrication, and delivery driving up to 400 miles away. Currently unemployed, considered disabled due to mental illness.

Early history of trouble with the law, got savvy, stopped getting caught (or at least arrested when I did). Got my GED in the tenth grade, spent a lot of time touring couches and ingesting copious amounts of LSD, almost all of which I didn't pay for. Experiments with various substances led to eventually experimenting with dietary supplements to self medicate for something that, I honestly feel, has almost nothing to do with substance use. Never liked meth or cocaine, tried them, was like, meh, no. Too expensive and too habit forming. Got stuck on booze mostly in an attempt to numb the pain that's been there since I was a small child, and never quite shook it.

Likes to read about popular science and completely misses the point. Likes to rant endlessly about crazy bullshit. Likes moonlit nights, and being in remote places where you can see all the stars. Enjoys creative hobbies which he mistakenly believes are all inter-connected by a mysterious force he terms "inspiration". Likes to read, a LOT, likes classical books on strategy, as well as Zen Buddhism. Likes normal Buddhism too. Is a pacifist who spends a lot of time dwelling on past mistakes and considering how to prevent them in the future. Fails a lot. Is a passionate person who rejects positive and negative duality. Plays an ancient text-based game near religiously because no matter how many times he tries to walk away, an inspiration drags him back. Loves to see others enjoy themselves and be happy, hates causing or reinforcing pain, though recognizes the occasional necessity. Likes to tell stories, especially when others like to hear them. Places little value on "truth", seeing it as an obstacle to the bigger picture at times. Plays chess, quality of game is relative to opponent's skill-level, unfortunately makes people who say they play well cry, then feels bad about crushing their spirits.
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

tortall

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 07:45:47 AM »
Revive!

I'm a 31 year old admin assistant. You're going to think I'm nuts but I work for the Boy Scouts as an admin for the Director of Camping. But that means I get to go to summer camp and do archery and shoot 22s. Which I'm actually good at! Give me a target that doesn't move and I'll hit whatever spot you tell me to! More dime shots than I can recall. Moving targets though I can't do. I attempted shotgun. Didn't hit a thing!

I'm a Girl Scout leader and the local cookie pusher. I have a husband that I oddly did NOT meet on Arm(though my only two boyfriends before him I both met in Arm and they both lived in Kansas) and we've been together for 6 years as of last night and married for almost 4. He has a daughter)(10) from a previous marriage so I get the fun part of being a mom with having to carry it around inside me for 9+ months and deal with the painful birth. Plus we only have her on the weekends so we can still do what we want to go.

I build and perform puppets. Primarily Star Trek and Doctor Who, though much more of the latter. My husband and I are Felt Nerdy and we perform at a total of 5 conventions in the Southeast. We've been doing it for about 4 years now and you nerds in the Southeast should come to one of the conventions and see us. Our puppets are awesome. Plus I make Dalek finger puppets that glow in the dark.

Food! I like fries way to much. And since I've had a desk job for just over five years, that's not a good thing. I also like pizza, spaghetti, philly cheese steak, baked burssel sprouts, and avacados. I'm really bad at eating good.

I also still play PokemonGo and have caught 111 different types. I think. My phone is off and takes forever to turn on so I'm not going to check.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

evilcabbage

« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
avocados are AMAZING.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

boog

« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »
Avocados make my tongue swell. :(
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
I'm a 25-year-old lab tech in a pig tissue prep lab at Ethicon, a company of Johnson and Johnson.  And I also volunteer in Ubuntu Linux Community (as a community builder, not a coder) and at Grailville, a local park, doing mostly pond testing and researching on how organically maintain the ponds.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:19:18 PM by Barsook »

Kalden

« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
I was born and raised in Southeast Alaska, where I spent my childhood on a salmon hatchery, alternating between video games and catching salmon by their tails in the stream next door. Raised in an evangelical Christian household and attended a private Christian elementary school, but I became an apostate by mid-teens. Went to college in Oregon, studying economics and philosophy after flirting with a computer science major. Got quite sick with celiac disease in the meantime; after graduating into the recession, moved back to Alaska and worked for the state as an insurance regulator while slowly recovering from poor health.

A couple years ago, after writing code on the side at work and home for a while, I executed a long-term plan and moved to San Francisco to become a professional coder. Attended a bootcamp (Hackreactor) to get a good foundation in modern web technologies.

Hobbies right now include editing Wikipedia, code stuff, and reconnecting with my old pleasures - this is my first Armageddon character since 2011. Look me up if you're in SF!

Dunetrade55

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
Tortall, avacados are NOT bad food. I'm of the opinion that anything delicious is something my body is telling me to eat. I know having some fries in your diet can make things difficult, but I usually just get up and take a low stress walk when I need exercise... it's not low-stress when you live in the sixth WORST neighborhood in the US, luckilly I don't live there anymore and can walk without worry, aside from assholes driving while talking on their cell-phones.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
Got quite sick with celiac disease in the meantime; after graduating into the recession, moved back to Alaska and worked for the state as an insurance regulator while slowly recovering from poor health.

I hope you're doing better, and welcome back to Arm.  :)
Where it will go

Lizzie

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
Foods I really really like:
Bacon (on a plate, on my pizza, on my cheeseburger, in my eggs)
A properly made apple crisp, served hot
Toasted coconut ice cream from Giffords, scooped and plopped on top of a bubbling dollop of Richardson's hot fudge.
Turkey and havarti on whole wheat with dill mayo.
Prune hamentashen
Field green salad with gorgonzola, candied pecans, and dressing made with fresh-minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt and black pepper.
Ripe tomatoes picked right off the vine in my garden

Foods I can't stand:
Avocados
Artichokes
Eggplant
Tofu
Runny eggs.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
Son to a single-mother who became addicted to crack cocaine in her late twenties, with a half-brother and a step-brother. Grew up extremely poor, to the point where it was routine for us to stop and ask for change at every single gas station, sell cans, make trinkets. I went to thirteen different schools between grades 1-10, and was always the weird kid. In seventh grade, I was accused by the 'popular kids' of going up onto the roof to plants bombs, (this was right after columbine) when in reality, I was going up there to retrieve the shoes of the kid they were bullying. They threw them up there after snatching them from him during gym. I was not believed, and because my mom mentioned 'I cried after seeing what happened on the news' (columbine), I was sent to a mandatory psychiatric evaluation. The psychologist said, after I took this five hour test, that I was one of the TWO smartest people she ever met. That always stuck with me, wtf was this other person? I wasn't allowed to see my IQ scores, but I was diagnosed as having Bipolar Affective Disorder with Schizophrenic features. In tenth grade, Westpoint wrote me a letter asking me to improve my GPA so I could attend their school. I was like, what is going on?

I've never agreed with my diagnosis. My dreams have foretold the future in a couple of events, but I don't think that's supernatural. I've seen, done, and lived through incredible things, like having my head caught on fire, escaping angry, gun-wielding drug dealers, had my identity stolen by my brother and summarily put in jail for a half of a week. I find almost everything fascinating, and my main interest is neuroscience and psychology, so that helps me see a connection to everything. I don't trust the Mendeleev periodic table, I don't believe dark matter exists as it's currently theorized to, I believe in reincarnation as a fundamental principle of nature, and I hallucinate regularly.

I have back problems and teeth problems I feel are contributing to my mental dissonance. Four of the spinous processes of my lowest vertebra are just... not there.  The base of my neck has a disk that slips in and out, and when it slips out, I can lose consciousness, completely forget who I am, and what I'm doing. Despite this, I absolutely love life. I love the ideal, and the concept, and the practice of love. I consider myself a gnostic christian, but I think the correct term for me is 'literate nutjob'. I enjoy playing all types of games, and I write manuals for these games teaching newbies how to play on their forums under a variety of pseudonyms. I've been common law married for about fourteen years, to the same wonderful amazing woman who has literally saved my life multiple times.

I've been playing Armageddon on and off for over fifteen years, and my favorite food is potatoes. There's so many ways to prepare them, and I enjoy every type I can remember having. Most of the time, I eat just whatever I can. Candy off the road, moldy meat, it doesn't matter, food is food, and I haven't had enough of it. I'm 6'1, 150 pounds, and currently, I only have one lens in my glasses, which broke almost irreparably during a car crash either last year, or the year before. I'm not sure, because I can't understand and process time. If it wasn't for my computer, I wouldn't know what time it was, and if it wasn't for my wife, I wouldn't know what year it was.

For the last month, I've been waking up with a headache on my left side, and it's worse than the time I had to pry my own tooth out with a screwdriver. I'm fairly certain I'm going to die soon, without ever accomplishing anything at all.

My dream is to create an augmented reality RPG, in which you, yourself, play the hero, and your real life accomplishments, from work, social, personal, fitness, health, everything, literally everything, factors into your exp and points, and you can compete in teams with people in your local or extended area going on RL adventures. One example would be to co-opt one of the zipline canoe rental areas, fix up an obstacle course, and have a pirate adventure where you shoot targets, chase pirates, and end with a sword-fight at the last island. It's ridiculous, but the point system I created helps me stay motivated to keep in shape, eat, do something other than wallow and worry.

I'm also a Capricorn, the poorest capricorn you might ever meet.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Dunetrade55

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »
"stuff" and,

I'm also a Capricorn, the poorest capricorn you might ever meet.

Rock on, bud, I'm an aries. I do hope your headache eases itself, I don't get headaches or toothaches very often anymore, I won't speculate on why... my teeth are screwed, crack, shattered from my wisdom teeth coming in, but I seriously can't remember the last real headache I had, or toothache. I also lose track of time, lots of head injuries don't help, I'd assume.

And yes, when having to fill out paperwork, I have to ask the person assisting me what year it is several times. You're not alone there.

Raptor_Dan

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2016, 07:39:48 PM »
Paperwork! Omfg, paperwork is god damned awful. Filling out resumes is harder than figuring out the velocity of a hummingbird at any given moment. Past work experience, oh I can name it all, but then they want numbers, and dates, and names, and I'm just like, 'fuck it, I give up. Can I clean your parking lot for five bucks?'.

I can read a book, or even a magazine, and have absolutely no idea how much time passes by. If there are no windows, and the tv (my external clock, since I know what shows play when, even though I barely pay attention to any of it) is off, then I'm fucked. I could have wasted 10 minutes, or 10 hours.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Dunetrade55

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
Damn, I know just what you're talking about. Also getting a job is godawful difficult with Omnibase nowdays if you have unpaid traffic tickets held against you. I'm just like, what? Can't I just, move somewhere like a proper drifter/outlaw and get some work. Nope, bud, that shit doesn't fly anymore. Background checks ftl.

bardlyone

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2016, 10:32:18 PM »
Born in the midwest, moved to the southeast at like six months old. Psychology major during the brief stint at college (in addition to a few years of such classes in high school). Also heavily into drama with three years of formal instruction in acting and professional speech classes, which is super ironic, given how inarticulate I am. Got expelled from high school for telling a teacher to basically go die in a fire ("implied death threats") for bullying a student who sat near me.

Not the first time I've been kicked out of school! That was third grade, when someone insulted me and I kicked them to the ground and the school had the option to paddle me taken off the table. I actually have a long history of butting heads with peers and people I'm supposed to answer to, though I've managed to avoid physical altercation relating to it since 16 or so. I am almost constantly unemployed, though looking into a job as a phone sex operator because why not get paid to make crap up that people want to hear, especially if I can stay home in my pajamas while I do it.

Married to what is dubiously termed my high school sweetheart (we didn't get together until after he was expelled but before I was). We've been together since I was sixteen years old and I just turned 30 on the 15th of this month. He is the only person in the world who I don't want to physically hurt after prolonged contact - I don't do social well, blame it on the Asperger's. When I went back and got my GED my scores were so high I got admitted to college on a partial scholarship (averaging about the top 4%, with the lowest being 92% and the highest at 100%). Left both college and a position as a creative writer for an online game to move out of state and take care of a handicapped relative.

Political activist, theology lover, total smartass. I'm with RD on the connections between psychology and neuroscience. Looking at one without the other is like only seeing half of a picture. Hobbies include: free-verse poetry, herbalism (oils and magick shit and gardening all), cosmetology, astrology (scorpio sun as part of 5th house stellium with moon in taurus, aries north node, pisces midheaven and cancer rising sign), psychology, philosophy, theology, jewelrymaking, and taking in stray cats!

I love studying history and culture of all different societies worldwide, and would love to travel but am terrified of flying. Probably the most interesting culture that is totally alien to me that I'm currently in love with is the origin of tayuu culture in Edo Japan, and how it involved into meiko/geiko/geishas. Another period of particular interest is the Russian Enlightenment era of Catherine the Great, and the Old Kingdom period of ancient Egypt.

I love flowers and plants and animals, people I can take or leave mostly. I've studied playing the guitar some, but my hands are so small that wrapping the neck of it properly is irritating, and wanted to play the violin as a child, since there is a family heirloom violin that we've had for like three centuries. It's in too poor a condition to play, which is legitimately devastating since it is a stradavarius violin, one of the holdovers from the 17th century when my father's side of the family shared the royal court with the mother of Catherine the Great.

Dream job: edibles coffee and baked goods food truck.

I think that's enough rambling now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:35:06 PM by bardlyone »
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman’s love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2016, 11:47:23 PM »
Most of my friends have scattered across the country, so I don't go out much. I play games and get drunk with them online and that seems to work out. I don't really get bored anymore. I can't remember the last time I was bored. There's always something to do. Read a book, watch a movie, play a game, surf reddit and the GDB, cook some amazing meat on the hardwood smoker, try new recipes for dinner, learn neat shit online. It kind of boggles me how much there is to occupy your time with.

My PC AND laptop both recently died on me. Which is shitty, but there seems to be no shortage of ways to get online and do all the same things still.

Life is enjoyable. I like where I'm at right now, but I wish I could actually sit down and write like I want to. Writing is hard and I applaud everyone who manages to do that. It's what I want to do but god damn I can never get past the conception stage and a few thousand words before growing sick of it.

That's about it. One of these days I'm going to sit down and churn out a book.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:56:19 PM by RogueGunslinger »

Aruven

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2016, 06:15:36 AM »
25 year old male, live in Redmond, WA and work for Microsoft as a Software Engineer. I mostly play games in my free time like WoW, Arm, Rocket League, Ark, etc. Pretty socially awkward, overweight, and ginger. I started my MUDs with a Wheel of Time themed mud that ran on diku, eventually becoming an assistant coder. When we dropped down to 1-2 players I got a recommendation from another immortal to try Arm.

Dude what?

Im a 27 y/o male that boxes in Redmond, WA like everyday at 24 hour fitness.

Im also an apprentice at an outdoor school. I owe you guys way more as ive been here for awhile. Will post more at some point.

zztri

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »
Hehe... housewife.. Ex-computer engineer. After my first daughter was born I decided to retire myself to baking cakes and changing diapers. Husband is an R&D specialist, we met at work in a project his company subcontracted because we sucked.

He supported my decision of retirement after our daughter was born and his salary is enough for both of us. My little daughter goes to kindergarten and older one goes to primary school, so I'm nearly always free. Whenever I log out in a hurry, it means my daughters included me in their game. I'm 30-something-years-old and I still sleep with teddy bears and play with MLP toys.

I still act as a male in underground communities and sell not-so-legal programs like advanced DoS programs with learning algorithms, which I code with the aid of my husband, who's ten times as good in coding than I am I have to confess. Noone suspects I'm a housewife. And at nights I play [deleted character] in [deleted location] while my husband watches his nerdy shows and tries to act like he's interested when I tell him what happened IC. No, he hasn't even played D&D his whole life and he's simply not interested.

Yam

« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »
I still act as a male in underground communities and sell not-so-legal programs like advanced DoS programs with learning algorithms, which I code with the aid of my husband, who's ten times as good in coding than I am I have to confess. Noone suspects I'm a housewife. And at nights I play [deleted character] in [deleted location] while my husband watches his nerdy shows and tries to act like he's interested when I tell him what happened IC. No, he hasn't even played D&D his whole life and he's simply not interested.

Caaaaaaaaaaase!

lostinspace

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »
Dude what?

Im a 27 y/o male that boxes in Redmond, WA like everyday at 24 hour fitness.

Im also an apprentice at an outdoor school. I owe you guys way more as ive been here for awhile. Will post more at some point.

If you want to get a pint sometime feel free to shoot me a PM, I knew someone else spent time in Redmond because on a Byn contract I once offered to pick them up and give them a ride home so they could finish the contract. Found another ride, so I still haven't met anyone from Arm in person yet.
3/21/16 Never Forget

zztri

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:30 PM »

Caaaaaaaaaaase!

Heh! There's another "desperate housewife" coding DoS? Nope, I'm not her... I don't think here's the place where I should advertise not-so-legal programs but I'd like to share notes via other channels of communication.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2017, 05:57:42 AM »
http://i1.2pcdn.com/node14/image/article/201308/08/20130808042558a0djqew8icv9uvf2.jpg

I remembered having a neat eSports conversation in this thread, and I went back and read it, and I think the first time I read this I didn't look very closely at the picture.  That's totally Ogre Magi.  "No pick me!  Running is not as fun as hitting!"  Ogre's responses are my second favorite to Axe.
Where it will go