Author Topic: about you, IRL  (Read 11259 times)

650Booger

about you, IRL
« on: October 23, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi all, I'm curious to find out what sort of people are playing this game along with me.

I'm a wastewater treatment plant operator!  I play often at work on my phone (there is alot of downtime when things are running smoothly), and I bet people would laugh or be grossed out if they knew the environment I'm in while playing the game.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Jihelu

Re: about you, IRL
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
I work part time at a restaurant as a host while I take classes at a community college.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
I am looking for a job in the state's least-employed county. I have a sociology bachelor's from Columbus State University with a minor in English literature. I enjoed school and would go again if I could (probably go for a nursing technical this time, something that employers are looking for.) Overall I am happy and Arm is a major part of how I spend my non-chore time. College was necessary, because I am half Korean and have to at least try to be educated in order to have any honor. (I'm actually not kidding.)
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
This year I'm working 35 hours a week between two part-time retail jobs. Last year it was around 30 hours a week, plus another 20 hours a week in social media pre-production and marketing for a local fair/festival organizer. That job was mostly just so I could get free admission to the fairs/festivals and the organizer would buy me lunch, but it turned out he paid me between $100 and $200 in cash every Sunday, PLUS he bought me lunch and I got in free at the fairs/festivals.

I've worn a lot of hats, most of which have been in retail. Also did some office management, payroll, marketing, a slew of temp jobs right after I graduated college. I was also a street musician for several years and sang backup on a fellow street artist's single that got some airtime on the local FM station. Everything from Skippy Peanutbutter Sample Lady at the supermarket, to personal secretary to the marketing director of a major dairy in New England. I've kept busy :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

manonfire

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
Electrical engineer. I work in the power division of a global EPC firm, where I do design, construction, and commissioning of generating stations, mostly combined cycle and solar.

MeTekillot

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm a promiscuous bisexual 22 year old man. I am extremely vain. I am very superficial. I am very thoughtful. I am generally very easygoing unless it involves egregious outjustice then I am radical to the point of violence. I like to smoke weed but I need to do it less. I want to go to college for psychiatry. I have severe mental illness. I like to write and play roleplaying games. I am very into fitness. I don't care for popcorn. I have ADHD. I'm 6' 2".
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »
I signed an NDA for my job, but I spend all day helping people have better and more healthy lives.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

Case

• Helper
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »
I'm a research scientist and mathematician and jew

Riev

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
Moderately educated, poorly nutritioned hairy white male. Working for one of the local behavioral health/developmental disability districts in the state, so I deal with a LOT of Medicaid issues on the daily.

I have a love-hate relationship with Arm, but there's just no other game out there that can make you feel accomplished.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Armaddict

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
I'm an introvert highly capable of being social when I need to be, but far preferring the company of a small, select circle of people.  Family is my highest regard.  I'm prone to being pulled into politics and theology, precisely because most of it is not really provable and thus can lead to exploration of new ideas.  If my dialogue partner can't handle weird things being said that I don't even necessarily believe in, I refrain from those topics.  I'm not religious, but I do enjoy feeling connected and appreciating things that are beautiful.  I have a protector/nurturer archetype...I'm almost never a physical aggressor unless it comes on someone else's behalf (during my more crazy years, I was well known to be the 'peaceful one' who would still hold his own in a fight if pressed).  I originally planned on being military (my family has always been involved in the military), but 'caught' the diabeetus from the flu when I was 13.

I went to school once for Philosophy, which was great for thinking deep thoughts about unemployment.  I worked for years in food service, then upgraded to blue collar factory and labor work, then returned to school (where I am now) for computer science, but my pace is slower, which is okay.  I make good money (by my standards as a bachelor) installing security systems over the summers, enough that I generally don't have to work for the other 7 months of the year.  I'm on hiatus from that currently, though, in order to take care of some family issues that if I didn't help with, would result in either crushing debt for the family or injury to someone in my family less physically able to deal with it.

Despite being an american-football player in high school, I was always the cool nerd who could get along with any clique.  But nerds are my people.  They entertain me more than anyone else, they talk about cooler things, and occasionally, get me to nerd out on things I didn't know I could nerd out on.  Over time, I just dropped the jockism (I'm trying to pick exercise back up regularly; right now it's sporadic), and embraced nerdism.

Armageddon is my best, most consistent outlet for my imagination to run wild and be made into something resembling real.  So I always come back to it.  But all video games and home-bodying in general are pleasing to me.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Bahliker

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
Armageddon was a too-big chunk of my life when I was a teenager. And a 20-something. And maybe again now at 33 but I'm trying, ma. I'm trying.
I went to a bunch of APMs and mini-APMs and met my wife at one, sort of. We had played together, and have since, but we almost never get along in character.
I have two little girls. They play fairies.
I drive semis for UPS and sometimes if the government would let me work more than 60 hours I would. But sometimes I don't even want my 40.
I live in a suburb of kansas city that has lots of pretty trees. We're walking distance away from lots of cool things.
I want to play games all the time, so badly. Just so badly. D&D 5E, FATE, IKRPG, and our actual board game closet. The linens are crammed way up top to free up the bottom 3 shelves.

BrokenRomance

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
I am a 22 year old high school graduate (Not a big deal except it is in my family these days honestly, and I had to work my ass off last minute to make sure I'd get it after my school declared that things that were supposed to count as credits towards select academic pursuits didn't anymore and didn't grandfather them in, thus ruining my carefully laid plans to barely try), working as a part-time associate at Wal-Mart in the meat department. I only got the job about a month ago, but so far aside from some issues it has been really wonderful.

I want to try and go to college for either economics, literature, or just to learn to be a librarian. None of them seem like a very good choice for employment but I know that I'll never pass anything I'm not interested in, since I'm ADHD and quit taking my medication about eight years ago because of massive issues with side-effects from all of them.

I like to play Arm and the many other MU*s I play because reading and the escape it offers have always been a major part of my life, and roleplaying with other people is an enhanced version of that escape and my life has always been something I wanted to get away from for a variety of reasons involving all sorts of issues I try not to dwell on much.

Did I do this right?
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:24:19 PM »
I don't do anything of particular note.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
I'm 23, studying political science and communications. I'm currently taking a semester off school to work full time on campaigns. I'm currently the field director for a competitive state assembly campaign. I also smoke a lot of weed and have severe ADHD.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 12:13:51 AM »
I'm 35. I'm the single mom of a kid who's finally old enough to allow me to do the stuff most of us got to do in our 20's. I'm the web producer for my city's premiere lifestyle and travel magazine, and I do freelance illustration in my spare time. I'm pierced and tattooed and dreadlocked and I dropped out of high school, and none of it has ever prevented me from finding gainful employment when I wanted it.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

MeTekillot

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 12:35:36 AM »
Is this thread about us or our jobs?
My thoughts.

A sex and torture survey upon character creation

Feco

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:38:13 AM »
8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:01:13 PM by Feco »
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
I have a good list of mental thingies, and if you ever see someone in the game who appears to have no interest in relationships/talking at points then that might be me (being a minority notwithstanding). Otherwise I don't think it affects my game that much.

As a child and teenager, because it wasn't time yet for me to start thinking about marriage, I had absolutely no interest in dating and people thought something was wrong with me. The reason I had friends was because I enjoyed spending time with them as people because they were close to me. I don't get lonely and if the word was never created I would not know the concept.

I've been on a Dragonball Z binge this year. Not Kai. I even watched all of season three. I enjoy manga online and read Fern Michaels and Sherryl Woods. William Johnstone too.

My favorite thing to do in the world is write fiction stories. I have some poetry too. One day I will publish something. What it is is I get bored about one-third the way through a normal-sized novel. I do better with short stories that all belong in the same world and have a sort of continuity with each other. Low fantasy, hard sci-fi, western.

I have piercings and I love, love, love them. They are my babies.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Your poor darlings, why do you all have ADHD?

Kankfly

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
I like playing text-based games where I pretend to be someone else.
I ruin immershunz.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »
I am a father of four, a high-functioning alcoholic, and I work as a field tech for an agriculture consulting firm. This means I am either bombing around massive empty farms on my beast of a fourwheeler or I am sitting behind my desk with literally nothing to do except read, listen to podcasts about serial killers, and play Arm.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bahliker

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
A podcast about serial killers sounds way more interesting than another podcast of awkward people awkwardly playing d&d. What is it called?

WarriorPoet

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
A podcast about serial killers sounds way more interesting than another podcast of awkward people awkwardly playing d&d. What is it called?

Last Podcast on the Left. These guys are amazing. Start with one of the big-hitter episodes. The research done by Marcus Parks is phenomenal.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
I'm a 29 year old American patriot married to a Canadian and father of a 1 year old badass.

I've been kicked out of an armed service for being belligerent then rejoined through the Marines. I've built rockets and bombs, been a martial arts instructor, water survival rescue swimmer instructor, infantryman, and now I'm on recruiting duty.

I just finished my first year as rookie recruiter of the year out of 2.5 states (my command's area.) I dislike recruiting because kids are "what can you give me" nowadays but it has its ups and downs. I generally work 60-80 hours a week because otherwise I'd have to recruit scum. Generally I start off with thrashing the applicant to see if they're a sissy or not. I can get a kid into shape, that's not an issue if they're weak or fat. I can't train someone to not be a lazy piece of welfare.

Anyway, I have a pretty awesome life. I'll retire from the Marines at 40 years old then probably write full time or whatever I want to do.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

SuchDragonWow

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm a freelance audio engineer for live, remote (not studio) television productions.  Because most television is filmed in the studio and pre-taped (which I find so boring), this means 99% of what I do is sports-related.  Most of the things I do are NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB, as well as covering college-level competitions of those sports.  I work long hours and travel frequently, but make money, so the kids and girlfriend and my inner workaholic and adventurer are happy.

I hope to take the money I've made and the experience I've gained to become a producer for eSports television.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:25:00 AM by SuchDragonWow »
Where it will go