Rent Mount

Started by whitt, October 12, 2016, 12:18:49 PM

Would it be possible to alter this code to only rent a mount that is hitched to you?

Or at the least, not rent a mount that is hitched to someone else?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Let's have it be a skill called stable etiquette.
Partial fail, rent random mount in the room.
Critical fail, mount goes berserk or goes untamed or stable hand loses it.

Are you sure that's what happened?

Because I'm pretty sure you can't accidentally stable a mount that's hitched to someone else, unless it's hitched to them but they're no longer in the room.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

It's definitely happened to me, twice. Mount was hitched. Both times the person responsible was nice enough to realize their mistake and hand me the ticket though.

Quote from: Delirium on October 12, 2016, 03:25:33 PM
It's definitely happened to me, twice. Mount was hitched. Both times the person responsible was nice enough to realize their mistake and hand me the ticket though.

It's particularly messy in clans with new players.  Dismount. Rent beetle. Quit.  Happens way too often.
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

'title mount' is your friend.  One thing I always tried to get across with my Byn Sergeant was for people to title their mounts to limit confusion, because that sort of thing did happen a couple times and it's frustrating.  
More frustrating is when the person who accidentally stabled the wrong mount is in a hurry to log out and they do so before realizing the mistake.
Unless everyone is naming their mounts things like Beetle, Inix, and Bulky, titling critters is helpful.

Quote from: manipura on October 12, 2016, 03:56:05 PM
'title mount' is your friend.  One thing I always tried to get across with my Byn Sergeant was for people to title their mounts to limit confusion, because that sort of thing did happen a couple times and it's frustrating.  
More frustrating is when the person who accidentally stabled the wrong mount is in a hurry to log out and they do so before realizing the mistake.
Unless everyone is naming their mounts things like Beetle, Inix, and Bulky, titling critters is helpful.

Problem is "rent beetle" will still store Binky or Skitters or Fatso even if they are Titled if they are 1.beetle.  Leaving "the Beetle with no name" behind until all the other folks have stabled their beetle.

And I agree, learning new players to Title their mount is an important step for many, many reasons - stabling being one.  It just seems odd that you can't pack/unpack/mount/rest/stand a beetle hitched to someone else, but you sure can lead them right on over to the stablemaster, get a ticket, and wander off.

It's punishing to those with large groups of minions. Fight breaks out over ppl wanting the "right" ticket to the randomly generated identical looking beetle for the nth time. Gets old.

Can't you just wait outside the stables a bit if you have a fancy mount you don't want stored by some noob?

I like the idea though, so +1.

Problem with waiting outside, is some leaders for example want everyone to do things quickly and smoothly.

+1 all over. This can be sort of a problem with large groups. People are usually understanding and hand the ticket right back over when they they realize, but I'd like this, anyway.

Maybe - if there was some way of hiding the word "beetle" "inix" "erdlu" as a keyword once you've mounted it. Even if you're not hitched to it. The main keyword is replaced with a title until it's put back in a stable.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

October 13, 2016, 11:23:47 AM #12 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:49:08 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Yes this has always been the case. Packa waterskin or something to your bug if you are concerned about this frequently happening.

Title mount to any newer players in a combat clan there, even then I have made this mistake myself in the last year. I would be fine with it only applying to hitched mounts for sure!

I always try to remember to title my mount when I first get on them so I can use the name when I stable them. It has very much cut down on the number of times my bug has been stored by someone else.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

I just wait in the room until everyone but the obviously krath-struck one rents theirs.

This idea would be awesome, though..
Counting all the assholes in the room...

Well...
                                                                       I´m definitely not alone!

Quote from: whitt on October 12, 2016, 12:18:49 PM
Would it be possible to alter this code to only rent a mount that is hitched to you?

Or at the least, not rent a mount that is hitched to someone else?

This strikes me (from a view without access to code) as an elegant solution.  If it's as easy as an 'if hitched' check, we might even consider adding the same for the 'kill' command, so as to avoid killing our bugs by mistake.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on October 17, 2016, 10:28:21 AM
If it's as easy as an 'if hitched' check, we might even consider adding the same for the 'kill' command, so as to avoid killing our bugs by mistake.

If only the mounts felt the same!  :o