Extended downtime scheduled, Saturday October 15th 2016 9am server time.

Started by Nathvaan, October 07, 2016, 03:15:18 PM

I will be doing an extended downtime on Saturday October 15th, 2016 in order to implement a change.  

Typically I don't tend to tip my hand about what is coming because things can and do change up until the code is finalized.  In this case, I think players with these skills deserve the courtesy due to the nature of the deployment.

When this downtime happens there will be a reboot of the game and then I will need to lock out all player while I migrate some data.  The reason I am locking out player is because the tasks that I will be doing will seem to lock up the game for minutes at a time.  The game will be busy doing background things and it will heavily lag the game.  I don't think it would be fair to risk death/loss while I am doing maintenance.  I don't suspect that this locked time will exceed about an hour or so.

Also, these changes have to do with a large, complicated and time consuming project I have been working on with regards to the read/write skills, process and data storage.  This won't be the last changes made to those skills but this change will represent one full phase of the changes. Players with those skills might want to write any notes you need to before hand because the ability will be disabled immediately after it is implemented.  This disabling is so that there are no changes to the data in the books while I am making this change and doing final testing.  I don't suspect this will remain locked for more than part of the day on Sat. October 15th and it will require a quick reboot to enable (3 mins downtime).

Also, I will not be going over any details of the change until it is successfully implemented.  After it is implemented I'll be glad to clarify any questions people have based on the release notes.

-Nathvaan

Update: As things do change while preparing for this change.  I have decided to just disable both reading and writing (unfortunately including boards) for the short duration on Saturday.

The game is again open for play.  There will be a reboot later in the day when I have fully tested the changes in production.

The read and write restriction has been lifted so you can read boards and read/write if you have the skills.