Setting for a default direction emote

Started by azuriolinist, October 05, 2016, 10:54:36 AM

I would find it neat if there was a way to set a default command emote for the directional commands, which would be overridden if a command emote was inputed along with the direction. This is mostly just because it's a bit of a hassle to type out "(limping along)" every time I go this direction or that.

I was thinking it would be similar to 'change ldesc' in syntax, and it could go like this:

>w
You walk west.

>change diremote limping along
Your new diremote is: limping along.

>w
You walk west, limping along.

>w (leg dragging behind)
You walk west, leg dragging behind.

>change diremote none
Reverting to default diremote.

>w
You walk west.

As I said, it would just remove a bit of hassle.

I'd like this for a lot of things, however. But the extent I would want it would be confusing and fuck with everyone. For magick/a lot of things.

Anyway I don't see anything wrong with it. Doesn't look like it would be too hard to make.

It WAS kind of nice in 'that other RPI' that you could set a standard walking emote.

I'd +1 this. If you're constantly dragging your feet, people would notice. If you're proudly walking through the city, people would notice.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I actually didn't like the default movement thing on SoI -- people would often forget to change it, and it led to an a lot of immersion breaking situations -- or they'd leave it on, always, and it'd not really add to the scene.  I like it when people do add to their movement, but I think it being non-default is part of what makes it exciting.

I would (only barely related) like it if we removed the craft echoes and default changes to ldesc.  These often don't make sense, and they override whatever ldesc you already have set, meaning I'll do something like:

change ldesc is seated on a rock
craft bones into #1
(A bunch of stuff gets echoed, and my ldesc gets changed)
(the craft finishes and my ldesc again gets reset)

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on October 05, 2016, 11:59:26 AM
I actually didn't like the default movement thing on SoI -- people would often forget to change it, and it led to an a lot of immersion breaking situations -- or they'd leave it on, always, and it'd not really add to the scene.  I like it when people do add to their movement, but I think it being non-default is part of what makes it exciting.
Those are fair points, though I still figure it would make it easier for PCs who use the command emotes to make such related things obvious about their characters. It's pretty much a case-by-case sort of thing.

Maybe having it revert to no default direction emote when the PC's movement speed is changed would help out a tiny bit with the immersion problem. Just so that, if the PC's direction emote was "dashing along" (for sharps and such others) before they slowed down to a walk, it's reverted back to the usual so you don't see things like "The dark elf walks north, dashing along."

It should probably not be applicable when climbing up and down, as well, just because.

I would (only barely related) like it if we removed the craft echoes and default changes to ldesc.  These often don't make sense, and they override whatever ldesc you already have set, meaning I'll do something like:

craft bones into #1
(A bunch of stuff gets echoed, and my ldesc gets changed)
(the craft finishes and my ldesc again gets reset)

+1. Or maybe even append it onto the ldesc like "bleeding lightly" is, if it's got to be kept.

If it was a text string that could be store into a temporary slot, to change when speed moves, or when a character logs off/logs on, I think that would remove most of the onus of remembrance. I mean, we still have veterans who forget mercy on, or keep a skinning knife in their hands after crafting.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Yeah.  I forget that I have things set a lot, and this would be another thing to forget.

Those times people ask me about that thing that caused my tdesc, and I respond with 'How'd you know about that?  That was weeks ago!' and get blank stares in return.

Edit:  Er.  Chimed in, didn't mention that I don't mind other people having this option.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

This drove me nuts on SoI. If you're really dying for it, you can alias your movement commands with the desired limp or whatever.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

It would be very conveniant for a number of people currently in game, you who you are.

Related (little flavor things):

1. Movement command emotes using the emote symbols (~,%,^, etc.).
2. change ldesc using emote symbols.
3. change ldesc character limit extended (to at least what arrange is).
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on October 06, 2016, 12:33:23 PM
Related (little flavor things):

1. Movement command emotes using the emote symbols (~,%,^, etc.).
2. change ldesc using emote symbols.
3. change ldesc character limit extended (to at least what arrange is).

Oh yes please.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I support this message. 
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I like this as long as it:

- Echoed to you each time it happened
- Was reset by changing speeds, sitting, etc.

That way you minimize the chance of forgetting about it.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on October 06, 2016, 06:41:29 PM
I like this as long as it:

- Echoed to you each time it happened
- Was reset by changing speeds, sitting, etc.

That way you minimize the chance of forgetting about it.

Those are actually pretty good cures for what bothered me about it.