Spawn Mobs With Unique Identifiers

Started by Synthesis, October 02, 2016, 02:36:51 PM

Whenever a mob spawns in game, it gets a unique keyword, like

A human Allanaki soldier (af12j4rg).

Default would be non-visible unique keyword flags.

Add a toggle (ids on, ids off) to turn visibility of the keywords on.  When toggled on, the unique keyword ID shows up in parentheses after the sdesc (as seen above).

Make it known that using unique keyword IDs specifically in game is frowned upon.  E.g. "Go to the desert and find raptor ek278.  It picked up my gem-encrusted dildo and ran off with it."

This would allow for improved ranged, spell, and melee targeting and functionality.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Wouldn't it be easier, and improve IC functionality to add a random adjective generator to NPCs?

The frilly raptor ran off with my gem-encrusted dildo!
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

I can see this as pretty useful -- but this would also eliminate the ability to disguise yourself as a humanoid mob (with your hood up), e.g., in the rinth or (if PC gith exist) among the gith.

Personally, I wanted to see a flag to distinguish NPC gith from PC gith during the gith war -- the idea being that when I encounter an NPC gith, I kick into diku code mode, since those suckers don't really wait around for a little bit of emote-based RP.  But I can also see how this could have a negative effect on PCs hiding out among NPCs.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

October 02, 2016, 03:00:25 PM #3 Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:12:30 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: nauta on October 02, 2016, 02:55:03 PM
I can see this as pretty useful -- but this would also eliminate the ability to disguise yourself as a humanoid mob (with your hood up), e.g., in the rinth or (if PC gith exist) among the gith.

Personally, I wanted to see a flag to distinguish NPC gith from PC gith during the gith war -- the idea being that when I encounter an NPC gith, I kick into diku code mode, since those suckers don't really wait around for a little bit of emote-based RP.  But I can also see how this could have a negative effect on PCs hiding out among NPCs.

Solution:
1) PCs get random flags, too.
2) Random flags are hidden (PCs and NPCs) by anything that would change the default sdesc (hoods, wraps, masks).
3) (Possibly) Random flags for hooded PCs and NPCs are visible if you are in the same room.

> ids on

> l n

To the north is a place.
[Far]
Nothing.
[Near]
The brown-eyed, brown-haired man (ju89yk) is here.
The sandy-haired, sandy-eyed man (as449l) is here.
The brown-skinned, sandy-haired man (nb2lkj) is here.
The sandy-eyed, brown-skinned man (gfvn2l) is here.

> l e

To the east is another place.
[Near]
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak is here.

> l
This is a third place.  You are here.
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak (bbblkj1) is here.
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak (uhlkm1) is here.

The idea being that yes, it would be difficult to target a specific individual in a crowd full of similar uniforms (e.g. military abas).

Quote from: Synthesis on October 02, 2016, 02:36:51 PM
This would allow for improved ranged, spell, and melee targeting and functionality.

I presume you mean ranged, primarily?  Because you can already target raptor, 2.raptor, 3.raptor with spell and melee targeting.  And ICly say I've got the first, you get the second, third, etc...

Not sure ranged combat needs any more improvements that make it more effective.  It's already quite broken.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

October 02, 2016, 03:10:19 PM #5 Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:14:33 PM by Synthesis
Quote from: whitt on October 02, 2016, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on October 02, 2016, 02:36:51 PM

I presume you mean ranged, primarily?  Because you can already target raptor, 2.raptor, 3.raptor with spell and melee targeting.  And ICly say I've got the first, you get the second, third, etc...

Not sure ranged combat needs any more improvements that make it more effective.  It's already quite broken.

Figuring out -which- raptor is wrecking your bro is very difficult in the middle of a fight, if not impossible...especially if your bro is not primarily attacking -that- raptor.

In fact, I'd say that unique keyword flags would be available even with hoods up, if you're in the same room.

If 3 gith are attacking Amos, but only one is hitting him, I'd kind of like to know that yes...that one particular gith is a beast, and disarm him or something.

But really, it's more about making magick slightly more useful now that mage skillsets got the hella nerf.  There's a lot of keyword-targeting stuff that you can't use on mobs, because you have no idea whether that raptor is 1.raptor or 15.raptor on the global raptor list.  Also, it kind of sucks when you accidentally the scrab-inked, gortok-faced man.