couple of new meat questions

Started by emporerpineapple, September 28, 2016, 05:40:41 PM

so I have been through two characters and ive got to say i love this community and how they play. This is my first MUD (besides sindome but that was a bunch of hogwash and not really RP focused but more combat) and i love every bit of it. I love the difficulty, the athmosphere, and the players.  So to fully immerse myself and quell my newbie thoughts i got a couple of questions.

1.) can I use objects (i.e beer bottle) to fight
2.) can i become a templar
3.)why does everyone hate elfs/half-elves

Quote from: emporerpineapple on September 28, 2016, 05:40:41 PM
so I have been through two characters and ive got to say i love this community and how they play. This is my first MUD (besides sindome but that was a bunch of hogwash and not really RP focused but more combat) and i love every bit of it. I love the difficulty, the athmosphere, and the players.  So to fully immerse myself and quell my newbie thoughts i got a couple of questions.

Welcome, emporerpineapple. Some quick answers:

1) You can "Break bottle" on some objects to turn a normal bottle into a broken one, which you can wield as a weapon. Do note that this won't improve your ability to "Brawl" at all. If you try to actually use the weapon with the kill command, you will get the same result as if you tried to kill someone with a sword (i.e. the guards will probably destroy you)

2) Templar roles are filled via special application that Staff periodically put out a role cal for. Keep an eye on the Staff Announcements forum. There you'll learn whether a rolecall is open, what Staff are looking for and how to apply.

3) There's a lot of racial distrust between humans and elves. Humans hoard all the political and a lot of the economic power, while elves are viewed as generally distrustful, prone to cheating or robbery and generally "alien." Half-elves get hate because they're seen as violations of the racial divide who are also prone to being emotionally unstable or unreliable (or so goes the prejudice). There's a lot of room for nuance and different kinds of racism within Zalanthas. About the only fast rule is that "unconditional acceptance of all races" is extremely uncommon and likely to be remarked upon.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 28, 2016, 05:48:43 PM

Welcome, emporerpineapple. Some quick answers:

1) You can "Break bottle" on some objects to turn a normal bottle into a broken one, which you can wield as a weapon. Do note that this won't improve your ability to "Brawl" at all. If you try to actually use the weapon with the kill command, you will get the same result as if you tried to kill someone with a sword (i.e. the guards will probably destroy you)

2) Templar roles are filled via special application that Staff periodically put out a role cal for. Keep an eye on the Staff Announcements forum. There you'll learn whether a rolecall is open, what Staff are looking for and how to apply.

3) There's a lot of racial distrust between humans and elves. Humans hoard all the political and a lot of the economic power, while elves are viewed as generally distrustful, prone to cheating or robbery and generally "alien." Half-elves get hate because they're seen as violations of the racial divide who are also prone to being emotionally unstable or unreliable (or so goes the prejudice). There's a lot of room for nuance and different kinds of racism within Zalanthas. About the only fast rule is that "unconditional acceptance of all races" is extremely uncommon and likely to be remarked upon.
wow that was fast, thanks man

so I have been through two characters and ive got to say i love this community and how they play. This is my first MUD (besides sindome but that was a bunch of hogwash and not really RP focused but more combat) and i love every bit of it. I love the difficulty, the athmosphere, and the players.  So to fully immerse myself and quell my newbie thoughts i got a couple of questions.

1) Yes you can. I believe the command is "break bottle" while holding it in your hand. (Please note, what comes out of this is considered a weapon and you will get incriminated for stabbing someone in a tavern with it.)
2) You absolutely can. You will see role calls for this from time to time. There will be instructions in those role calls (in the staff announcements on this board) for how to submit your application.
3) Elves are notorious thieves and sideways shady dealers. They actually pride themselves on their ability to steal. Half-elves are half elven so humans tend to not like them. To that same end, elves tend to be extremely distrustful of others, especially other races, (and in my experience usually think they are are superior inherently) and see half-elves as half-humans. Basically, half-elves are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Edited to Add: BadSkeelz got me while I was typing heh.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

1) ...

Everyone got here first, but I have to say, you remind me a lot of myself when I first started playing. Keep it up. Have fun. Get murdered. Murder yourself.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Welcome. Others got to your questions, so I'll just say...keep playing and have fun. You'll learn more about the game just by playing, and soon enough everything will click.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Yay, fresh blood!

Please feel free to use and abuse the helper chat as well - that is what we are here for.

use the "ass -v me" command.  [look up "help assess"]

Pick up and hold something.  "Ass -v me".  If it says you are armed, you have just found something that can be used as a weapon.  "Ass <item>" might (not) tell you more.

You might be surprised at some of the things that you would never expect that can be used for the murderizing.  Tuck one in your pocket for later.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.