What does... look like?

Started by nauta, September 16, 2016, 01:05:28 PM

I was thinking giant ant-lion too.

This is close to how I always pictured them. In fact the first time I saw a bulette in a monster manual I said "no that's an anakore," though the official art wasn't as close.

All I remember is from IG, their description puts them as a humanoid, upright on two legs, and looking like a human from afar or something like that.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Inks on November 21, 2016, 05:07:27 AM
I was thinking giant ant-lion too.

That's closer to how I picture ankhegs.

An ankheg is a ginormous beetle with tentacles.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 22, 2016, 04:15:19 AM

No it's a giant coiling centipede with pincers all along it's body!
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on November 22, 2016, 10:01:29 AM

Derp.  I read ankheg and thought gaj for some reason.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 22, 2016, 03:45:31 PM
Quote from: Jingo on November 22, 2016, 10:01:29 AM

Derp.  I read ankheg and thought gaj for some reason.

Its okay. I'm just describing what I see in my headmeat.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I always thought baobab trees were grey.

Perhaps reflecting an orange-ish tint in the sunlight.

However, I came across a few items in game and an NPC who had 'maroon' colors, like the baobab tree of the north.

So, I guess Zalanthan Baobab trees are maroon!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I believe the bark of the Zalanthan Baobab is grey, while the wood is maroon. I don't think real baobab trees actually have maroon wood, or share many properties with Zalanthan ones. I haven't had much luck finding evidence of baobab crafts, for example, but that could be due to them being a remote wood.

Real baobabs also have some food applications (nuts and fruit) that aren't represented in game.

Baobab planks. I imagine they have a grain similar to walnut or maybe cocobolo.

(Showing off) This is some sgian dubh I made using walnut. They're sitting on top of a block of Hawaiian monkey pod.

Nice. I suppose you could still call those maroon too (though in my head, that's more a wine-like color and uniform across the plank).

According to The Economist, the wood of the baobab is "soft like balsa."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/baobab/2010/07/why_baobab

The baobab is a provider. It is home to fruit bats, parakeets, weaver birds and lovebirds, and those hawks and owls of the bush that feed upon the mice that live among the baobab's roots. The baobab stores water. Its leaves and white flowers serve as salad for humans. Its black seeds are similarly edible and when cooked provide a substitute for coffee. The white pulp of the fruit can be boiled into a sherbet-like lemonade that is high in vitamin C. The husk can be used as a calabash. The tree provides no timber, its wood is soft like balsa, but the bark serves as food for elephants in times of drought and can be made into rope, roofing material, and clothing.

Fortunately for us the Zalanthan baobab is explicitly a hardwood so no foul in treating it as such in-game. I would like to see more of its resources presented, however. Maybe a focus for a dwarf to work on.