What does... look like?

Started by nauta, September 16, 2016, 01:05:28 PM

In line with Visualizing Zalanthas, which answers a lot of these, I thought a thread like this might be nice.  (Basic rule, however: if it isn't in the help files, that's probably for a reason, so don't post pictures of rare things not in help files.)

So, let's start:

What does a goudra look like/most closely resemble?  I always thought goudra were ferrets, but then I looked a little closer, and the thing is four cords tall (~ 5 feet) and 5 cords long (6.25 feet).  Are these R.O.U.S.'s?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

September 16, 2016, 06:30:25 PM #2 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:49:35 PM by path
Quote from: nauta on September 16, 2016, 01:05:28 PM
Are these R.O.U.S.'s?

I don't think they exist.

Edited to stay on topic. What do the chalton look like? How does it manage those six legs? Has it a hide like an elephant? Is this basically a six-legged, ivory-tusked sand hog?
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Chalton are six-legged antelopes in my mind.

September 16, 2016, 06:50:18 PM #4 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:05:38 PM by path
Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 16, 2016, 06:40:35 PM
Chalton are six-legged antelopes in my mind.

a wild, horned chalton
A large, six-legged creature stands here, its beady, black eyes rolling
as it gazes around. Its thick hide is a sandy tan in color. A pair of long,
curved ivory horns, measuring about a cord in length, sprout from its
forehead. They are smooth and glisten faintly yellow in strong light. Its
short, pointed ears stick out next to these horns. Its long snout ends with
a black, leathery nose.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

September 16, 2016, 07:15:33 PM #5 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:18:59 PM by nauta
A wild, horned chalton is here, grazing on the grebel grasses along the slope of a crescent dune.

(This, by the way, is a male Saiga Antelope.)

According to the help file:

"These six-legged antelope-like creatures..."
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

cabbage christ that is adorable i want one now.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

That is cute! I thought duskhorn were the antelope-ish ones. Are carru more like moose or deer?

Duskhorn and Chalton are both antelope-like, though Duskhorn have sturdier and fuller horns.

Carru definitely have a Elk-like look to them. Their mdesc also describes them as looking "quite peaceful" (or something to that effect) for some reason.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Knight_Megaloceros.jpg

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 16, 2016, 08:21:09 PM
Duskhorn and Chalton are both antelope-like, though Duskhorn have sturdier and fuller horns.

Carru definitely have a Elk-like look to them. Their mdesc also describes them as looking "quite peaceful" (or something to that effect) for some reason.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/Knight_Megaloceros.jpg
I think carru have mouths full of viciously sharp teeth, too.

September 16, 2016, 09:36:08 PM #12 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:44:11 PM by nauta
Nope, carru -- according to the mdesc --- have (a) bony ridges running from the base of neck down their spine; (b) wickedly sharp claws; and (c) dagger-like fangs for teeth.  So, a caribou on a bad drug trip?

And here is a picture, according to Dark Sun:

That's a carru in the back there, and an aprig in the front.  However, in Dark Sun, carru are described as follows:

Carru resemble Brahman cattle because of the large humps
immediately behind their heads. These humps are fluid
storage sacs, but don't inflate and deflate Carru are a drab
gray color and have a soft hide. Their heads are covered
with a tougher hide to protect the skull. Carru have two
brown eyes set in the front of their heads for good forward
vision. They have poor peripheral vision and a poor sense of
smell. On adult males, two horns curve out from the forehead
and sweep forward to in front of the eyes. Females
have much shorter horns that project straight forward from
the skull.

The Armageddon carru have, as mentioned, sharp everything.

Well, I was just going by the fact that it says "you stab a carru very hard on the paw" or whatever :P

Quote from: Beethoven on September 17, 2016, 10:02:48 AM
Well, I was just going by the fact that it says "you stab a carru very hard on the paw" or whatever :P

Yep.  I was going to post this last night and then just didn't bother.
I think there's a bit of a discrepancy when it comes to how a carru is written (mdesc) and the echoes you actually get while fighting.

Quote from: Beethoven on September 17, 2016, 10:02:48 AM

I always just assumed this was an allegory for hoof. You get it with chalton and duskhorn (I think) too.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Goudra have three toes?  Therefore sloth.

Kagor:

Kagor straight chillin':

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Delirium on September 28, 2016, 03:22:33 PM

Kagor don't care

I wish we saw more Kagor randomly hunting and finding and killing snakes in the Red Desert. That'd be awesome.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The snakes are called Angks -- http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Angk -- which I visualize as a whipsnake.

http://cabezaprieta.org/reptile_page.php?id=1243

September 28, 2016, 03:34:29 PM #21 Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:36:18 PM by Reiloth

+

x

=

Bahamet. Except you know, mean and bitey.

~Jack Vance~

The bottom, to scale, is essentially what I picture a gurth to look like. Probably more sand colored, but that would be the only change.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

What color is the silt sea?