New Player to the MUD, question on theme vs backstory.

Started by Jinxie, September 14, 2016, 09:10:50 PM

Ive been keeping my backgrounds as vague as possible because I havent learned enough lore yet.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on November 02, 2016, 09:10:01 PM
Ive been keeping my backgrounds as vague as possible because I havent learned enough lore yet.

I like keeping my backgrounds more or less vague, because it's easier for me to fill in the blanks after I get into my character's personality. I can't do that til I start playing her (it's always a her - tried playing a male, sucked at it, won't make that mistake again). I know, I do things backward. Create the personality, and then figure out how she got that way. An example for one of my characters (hypothetical):

Lizzie is a typical rinth-rat. Mother was an elven rinthi whore, father was a random drunken merchant with enough sids to pay for an hour one day. Soon as she was born, mommy dearest took one look at her round ears and rounded face and short stature, and shipped her promptly off to the orphanage. The Matron made sure to let Lizzie know that she was a lowly breed who should be grateful to exist. Now too old for the orphanage, she slinks off through the alleys to figure out how to survive with nothing but her wits and an interest in procuring shiny things to guide her. Annnnnd......GO.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I need a vague background because I don't know what I'm going to end up doing. If I say I hate elves to the core of my soul, and an elf comes along who is my only source for buying <thing>, that kind of leaves me stuck. If I say I want to get into Kurac in my background, it leaves my hands tied, like I -have- to enter Kurac.

Some things should be included, like if you used to smuggle spice, or you hear voices.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Quote from: a french mans shirt on November 03, 2016, 06:09:51 PM
I need a vague background because I don't know what I'm going to end up doing. If I say I hate elves to the core of my soul, and an elf comes along who is my only source for buying <thing>, that kind of leaves me stuck. If I say I want to get into Kurac in my background, it leaves my hands tied, like I -have- to enter Kurac.

Some things should be included, like if you used to smuggle spice, or you hear voices.

Or if your character wants to murder all undesirables and you meet an undesirable whose company your PC enjoys, that can complicate matters.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

make that the -start- of their murdering undesirables ;)?
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.