Author Topic: appropriate cultural references in armageddon  (Read 1505 times)

650Booger

appropriate cultural references in armageddon
« on: September 02, 2016, 09:25:09 PM »
Hello fellow sand bunnies!  This question pertains to the portrayal or role-play of a theme that has historical references in earth history.  obvious examples would be in some of the clothing that you see that has an arabic theme.  you also see weapons that come from a variety of cultures, from all over the world.  in my opinion, it should be considered acceptable to borrow elements for your roleplay from any desert culture from earth's history.  is this generally agreed?

for example, mexican clothing like sombreros or sarapes, or maybe some of the stuff the mongols wore, or african tribals of the kalahari desert.  It was suggested to me recently that a sombrero would not fit the theme of arm, and it set me on this line of thought.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:26:41 PM by 650Booger »
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Patuk

Re: appropriate cultural references in armageddon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 09:28:03 PM »
for example, mexican clothing like sombreros or sarapes, or maybe some of the stuff the mongols wore, or african tribals of the kalahari desert.  I was told recently that a sombrero would not fit the theme of arm, and it set me on this line of thought.

I'm pretty sure this came up with regards to weapons as well; staff apparently ruled that naming your weaponry after various Chinese and Japanese ones doesn't fit Armageddon very well.. So, naturally, some players pointed out a number of weapons are those things in all but name.

The obvious solution is for you to mastercraft a sombrero anyway, and just call it the something something hat. It doesn't seem to be beyond Zalanthas' technology to do so, and I see no good reason for excluding such a mastercraft.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
Beyond this, the 'Empire of Man' is quite a nebulous entity. It could in fact be our world, in the distant past. So styles, technologies, all sorts of things can persist in Zalanthas under a different guise.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Lizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:37:33 PM »
I agree with Patuk. It's important to remember that in a text game, words can and will evoke so many images. In my mind, the word "sombrero" invokes bright orange adobe houses with brilliant colored (mostly turquoise and saffron) tile, tequila, and donkey-riding through switchbacks, and women wearing ankle-length circle skirts, fully gored and heavily beaded, dancing around the rim of the hat which is laid out on the floor. It also invokes the image of farmers picking corn in a field. And speaking spanish, and eating tacos. There's nothing about the word sombrero that invokes the image of a harsh desert planet.

A broad-brimmed hat, however, does invoke the image of someone protecting their face from a harsh desert sun and sandstorms - even moreso if that hat has a veil (mosquito-netting). Not surprisingly, both "a broad brimmed hat" and "sombrero" mean exactly the same thing.

It's more the use of words than the meaning of the words, that makes the difference.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »
If the tech level allows for it, you can generally get away with crafting whatever you want so long as the description is in plain English.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Large Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
I don't like to see any name that's tied heavily and obviously to an Earth historical culture or pop culture reference. It takes me out of the game.

Characters with names like Thanos, Zeus, Pietro, Heimdall, Juan, even names like Iakovitzes (same reason why I'd look askance at Rusikovich or Usagatashi or Bickleford or Giannello or Guillamet), are not good in my opinion.

Items or vocabulary that specifically refer to an RL culture, like sombrero, katana (iffy), afro, etc., I'd rather not see called that.

I do get that some things are difficult to describe without using the cultural word. For example, mohawk.

Just my 2 sids.

To add a point onto this:

It's better to use these words in an OOC context...such as in an emote.

"emote flops his oversized, wide-brimmed hat on his head, wearing it like a sombrero"

Is way less jarring than "Hey guys, check out my sombrero!"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:12:05 PM by Large Hero »
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

The Warshaper

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 08:47:30 AM »
Sort of like a wide-brimmed hat is not called a cowboy hat or sombrero but for some reason thats the images I get in my head when I read the description?

Bastard sword. Hand and a half sword. Claymore. These can all be described with using their real world monikers because their differences are very small to the untrained eye. Hell in most cases some swords, bastard swords and hand and a half swords can have very little differences at all. 

I think it does some good to have commonly historic weapons like a khopesh or rondel dagger use their real world names because as a player we need to put that image into our brains to better get a feel or sense of how to employ them in our roleplay and react to them.

Hauwke

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
I feel weapons are an entirely different beast when it comes to naming. I for one would love to make a pair of a specific type of weapon I really find awesome one day. They totally fit in with the desert theme too but alas, never done a MC and dont have the chance to in the near future unless I get roflstomped by Badskeelz or something.

650Booger

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 01:31:29 PM »
on further consideration, my stance on this issue has shifted.  'Sombrero' is really just the spanish word for 'hat', and since this game is in english, I guess I should take that into account.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Case

• Helper
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »
Just because a culture existed IRL doesn't mean it needs to show up IG. Human history didn't use up all the possible styles ever or anything.