Further magick subguild adjustments for CGP

Started by Samoa, September 02, 2016, 08:06:21 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, the current selection of extended subguilds is only available as it is as an ostensible stopgap for right now to prevent flooding of the special application queue for those who have the options - "this isn't even my final form."

We're still waiting on the actual CGP system to go into effect, but since this is very code-heavy, it's taking a while, and that's OK. What I'd like to propose is some further work into that system, because as mentioned in another thread, the necessary sniffing on magickers to find out what they can do doesn't really do much to aid in the 'mystery' of magick -- it's only mysterious in that we don't know OOC exactly what's going on behind the hood yet (though we can make some pretty good guesses from the descriptions, I think, if we're familiar with the older trees).

We've already leveled the playing field some by opening up the symbol command to players of mages, and I think that was, honestly, a pretty good move. Yes, there's fun in trying to figure out the magick spells (well, in most cases), and that's still an option if you want to take it, but it's taken away the inherent benefit for those players who kept strict notes on what leads to what. We've opened up subguild help files so people can see what branches to what there, too, and I think that was also a good move... but we can do better.

With the addition of the magicker subguilds, we now have a bunch of very small pre-constructed trees for each element, and furthermore, we have these trees set to a karma level. When we combine this with the finalized code for utilizing CGP, we'll have a framework of checking karma for options and toggling those options as available in character creation. Maybe those subguilds can be a stopgap, too?

What we can do is open up those miniature trees in chargen for those who have the karma required to play them in their current form, and when you're in character creation you can pick and choose the mini-trees you want rather than pre-determined selections, thus truly ensuring that all magickers are unique creations. At present, if you want a Vivaduan to heal you, barring roleplay decisions you no longer need to immediately discount them because you've learned they have the summon waterfall spell, for instance, or if you have a Whiran you've been dealing with that flies into your guarded treehouse to visit, you don't automatically know it isn't them that's been stealing things unseen because they can create a tornado. Karma is a measure of trust -- if we trust a player to have these options, well, then we trust them to use these options responsibly, so be it. I think it'd make for some really interesting and fun avenues for roleplay for said magickers as well, and it'd open up roles for them to play that they might otherwise not be able to indulge in.

Yes, it'd be a change that's far, far down the line. But I like it.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Here's an idea. And yes, I know it's currently impossible, due to how the Guilds are coded. But ... wouldnt it be just so damn cool.

Imagine an elementalist subguild, that has 10 spells at level 1. If the elementalist ever improves one of the spells, it gets stuck and the elementalist keeps it. Next 2 rl weeks, the spells that are still at level 1 get shuffled to some new, or same spells of the same element. Leave it to the mage to pick and choose which spells he wants to practice and keep, and which spells he'll leave to shuffling. Over time, potentially over years and years, he'll pick all 10 and is stuck with that choice forever, barring some whatever IG developments.

Now imagine another elementalist that does not get to keep his spells. He can practice his magick skill and increase the number of slots he's got available, but the spells in those slots keep changing some whatever period of time. He doesnt get to keep them. They always change. One month he's able to throw fireballs, next month he cannot, but he can make fire swords. Or whatever. All those spells are as high as his main magick skill are, and all those spells have full horn range.

Quote from: Dar on September 03, 2016, 03:40:48 AM
Here's an idea. And yes, I know it's currently impossible, due to how the Guilds are coded. But ... wouldnt it be just so damn cool.

Imagine an elementalist subguild, that has 10 spells at level 1. If the elementalist ever improves one of the spells, it gets stuck and the elementalist keeps it. Next 2 rl weeks, the spells that are still at level 1 get shuffled to some new, or same spells of the same element. Leave it to the mage to pick and choose which spells he wants to practice and keep, and which spells he'll leave to shuffling. Over time, potentially over years and years, he'll pick all 10 and is stuck with that choice forever, barring some whatever IG developments.

Now imagine another elementalist that does not get to keep his spells. He can practice his magick skill and increase the number of slots he's got available, but the spells in those slots keep changing some whatever period of time. He doesnt get to keep them. They always change. One month he's able to throw fireballs, next month he cannot, but he can make fire swords. Or whatever. All those spells are as high as his main magick skill are, and all those spells have full horn range.

Chaos Elementalist; Spells and elements change every few days, giving them a randomized spell list constantly. Some days they'll have the power of god, others they'll barely be able to light up a room. Borne of wars between elementalists, their magic is sporatic. Their ability ranges from sporaticly awful to incredibly powerful. Luck favors the bold.

Order Elementalist: When a sorcerer and a Nilazi have children, the offspring is a creature that is both magic and antimagic in nature. A being able to, with some small effort, change their element at great difficulty, and manipulate everything with some small minor ability, but only if a quantity of the element is available. Only with great fire do they take fire; Only in great death do they take death. Only in great darkness do they take darkness. Only in great storms do they take storms. Only in great water do they take water. Ect.

you're gonna have to explain how to define "great water" "great fire" "great death" to me.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on September 03, 2016, 09:50:15 PM
you're gonna have to explain how to define "great water" "great fire" "great death" to me.

I think he's suggesting the power of the spells it would take to effect them.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

September 04, 2016, 12:17:38 AM #5 Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:21:34 AM by gotdamnmiracle
I'm going to be honest, that sounds both cool and simply impossible to implement unless every time you log in you wish up and go "Feeling like fire today, fellas." I know I would not have the patience to deal with that.

Possibly it would require a list of specific magical components and a good amount of time? Like once you complete the spell it would take a full day to actually take effect, and then another day before you are anywhere near as capable as a normal elementalist of that type. Like a bell curve, maybe? Though that sounds pretty cumbersome, code wise.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

What if you had an elementalist that got the spells he's been struck with, in that case? That could simplify things.

The sunburnt, cocky kid throws a fireball at you.

The unassuming man is struck and staggers backward, the scent of charred flesh steaming off of him, clutching his chest.

The sunburnt, cocky kid says, hands upended, in sirihish, "Give it up, chucklefuck. Now pass me over all your sid or I'll hit you again."

The unassuming man coughs for a few moments more, before tightening his fist.

The unassuming man says, hand opening to reveal a perfectly swirling ball of fire, in sirihish, "You're gonna hafta try a little harder then that, fuckboy."

that would be a horrible experience for both parties.

and abusable.

I'm still 100% underwhelmed by the magick subguild I picked.

Completely useless thus far.  I'm basically a primary guild dragging around a huge ball and chain.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

not my fault you picked ball-and-chain elementalist.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 07, 2016, 01:22:21 PM
I'm still 100% underwhelmed by the magick subguild I picked.

Completely useless thus far.  I'm basically a primary guild dragging around a huge ball and chain.

+1, pretty much how I felt when I tried it, I'd rather just have a normal crafting subguild than pick a magick subguild.
3/21/16 Never Forget