Utility Skills: Bash door, block door, or 'ingrained skills'

Started by Reiloth, August 31, 2016, 12:12:07 PM

Quote from: Majikal on September 02, 2016, 03:58:20 AM
I'm not really digging the idea of bashing down doors, some ingrained skills that everyone had though..

Climb to novice/apprentice.
Rescue to apprentice.

to name a couple.

As it stands, people without the climb skill can still (after enough attempts) make a climb.  It sucks, but it isn't an auto-fail.  I might consider bumping it up a bit or giving more people climb, but there's a gameplay aspect: players with climb can escape more places than players without climb.

I'm pretty sure rescue/guard/subdue also work even if they don't show up on your list of skills, but again, the chance of success is very small.

What I'd like to see (to help newbies who maybe don't even know there are such skills to begin with): any skill that someone can do even if it doesn't show up on your skill-list (climb, rescue, subdue) should show up on your skill-list, as either 'novice' or some other category 'minimal').
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on September 02, 2016, 08:23:29 AM
Quote from: Majikal on September 02, 2016, 03:58:20 AM
I'm not really digging the idea of bashing down doors, some ingrained skills that everyone had though..

Climb to novice/apprentice.
Rescue to apprentice.

to name a couple.

As it stands, people without the climb skill can still (after enough attempts) make a climb.  It sucks, but it isn't an auto-fail.  I might consider bumping it up a bit or giving more people climb, but there's a gameplay aspect: players with climb can escape more places than players without climb.

I'm pretty sure rescue/guard/subdue also work even if they don't show up on your list of skills, but again, the chance of success is very small.

What I'd like to see (to help newbies who maybe don't even know there are such skills to begin with): any skill that someone can do even if it doesn't show up on your skill-list (climb, rescue, subdue) should show up on your skill-list, as either 'novice' or some other category 'minimal').

This sort of achieves the 'extreme' states of Armageddon though...Invincible hide (if you don't have scan, you can never even have a chance of seeing someone hidden), climbable hidey-holes (without climb, you can try to climb, but you have a much higher chance it seems of crit-failing yourself into oblivion), impossible locks (without the pick skill, you are stuck in a locked room, even if the door is flimsy).

It's a sticky pickle, of course. Why should everyone be capable of doing what the other people can do? Our separation of 'guilds/classes' in a game development world that has moved mostly to skill selection stands out, both as a positive and a negative.

The positive is two-fold -- You are not your 'class'. A Warrior can be just as capable of an assassin as an assassin, if not moreso, especially with extended subguilds now in play (both mundane and magickal). Similarly, an assassin can be an Aide who never lifts a dagger, or finds other uses for the skill-set. A spy, for instance.

The negative (IMHO) is that people find themselves pigeon holed. "Rescue" isn't a game breaking skill, especially when it is at the level of novice or apprentice. But without the skill in your list, you will never succeed. 1/100, if that, I don't even remember if it's possible to succeed without it. Hunt? Same thing. Hide? Same thing. The idea that you can 'never' do something because you don't have the skill on your skill list is a little...Well. Huh?

That's why I at least appreciate that climb is -possible-, even if it's difficult, for people who don't have it on their skill list. If anything, I think all skills should be like this. You can attempt it, with a serious disadvantage, but maybe once in a blue moon you'll succeed.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

While we're at it can everyone be allowed to craft novice to apprentice crafts with just raw wisdom and a ~25% chance at success?
3/21/16 Never Forget

I find guilds a little limiting sure, and you do provide some good examples there Reiloth.

I think there should indeed be ingrained skills, things like Climb, she be novice. Nearly anyone can climb a small cliff with proper tools and willpower. Things like bashing a door are somewhat difficult and I think it should definately be related to the Bash skill. But very loud and very risky. Eg if it fails you lose a bunch of hp and cant try again instantly.

In the same way cooking is something every one can do.

However, I do understand the concerns about Burglar losing its niche, and fair enough it could do that. But I dont see that happening if there are people patrolling the apartments looking at the doors and such.