Early History of ArmageddonMUD

Started by mansa, August 26, 2016, 07:17:30 PM

I was curious when ArmageddonMUD started, and I found this thread, which points to another thread, which is no longer available.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,17820.msg187302.html#msg187302

Well done, Immortals.  Well done, Nessalin.  More than 20 years of a world kept alive.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Great thread mansa.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

hah, nessalin is old :3

this is a good read.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

You really thought Armageddon was free? You thought Tektolnes wasn't a metaphor?

Nessalin is actually consuming our lifeforce through our terminals.

Wow.  I  wish there was a way to see what the game looked like back then. My thanks to all of those who have put so much time, effort and creativity into this game.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on August 26, 2016, 09:33:52 PM
Wow.  I  wish there was a way to see what the game looked like back then. My thanks to all of those who have put so much time, effort and creativity into this game.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Very interesting thread. I also have a question if there's anyone around from those days: What was the first major RP game plot/RPT?
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

Quote from: Gilgamesh on August 27, 2016, 07:19:22 AM
Very interesting thread. I also have a question if there's anyone around from those days: What was the first major RP game plot/RPT?

Thrain?
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: WarriorPoet on August 31, 2016, 09:28:46 AM

Thrain?

I thought Thrain was just a player going "hey, I have these npcs/few other players and we're going to go attack the obsidian mines because it's a dwarf slavery thing and we're dwarves and don't like it and it'll be neat!"  And the response from Staff at the time was "Okay, cool!  But there's this dude in the city that won't like it so we're going to load up this mob and this group of mobs and totally attack you!"

Or am I missremembering this?  I do recall that Thrain was during the era when the game was more hack and slash than RP.

..I guess you can say that this was the first instance of an RPT/Plot on Arm, then.

Move along, nothing to see here, just my RP elitism poking out.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on August 31, 2016, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: WarriorPoet on August 31, 2016, 09:28:46 AM

Thrain?

I thought Thrain was just a player going "hey, I have these npcs/few other players and we're going to go attack the obsidian mines because it's a dwarf slavery thing and we're dwarves and don't like it and it'll be neat!"  And the response from Staff at the time was "Okay, cool!  But there's this dude in the city that won't like it so we're going to load up this mob and this group of mobs and totally attack you!"

Or am I missremembering this?  I do recall that Thrain was during the era when the game was more hack and slash than RP.

..I guess you can say that this was the first instance of an RPT/Plot on Arm, then.

Move along, nothing to see here, just my RP elitism poking out.

I don't know for sure, but here's the timeline:
http://www.armageddon.org/world/chronology.php

The playable world was at least from:

1389 (Year 3 Age 19)
The first Defiler in over 1500 years is found and killed outside of Tuluk. Ancient texts resurface which detail much of Defiler magick.

As far as I know, almost all the merchant houses were player created.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

If that is true, that is very interesting to say the least.

If true kudos to the creators of it.