Author Topic: Allanaki Commoner Clothing!  (Read 3943 times)

Cayuga

• Storyteller
Allanaki Commoner Clothing!
« on: August 24, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
On the heels of the helpfile discussion comes a realization that while there is a plethora of items available for discerning young lords and ladies of noble houses in Allanak, there is little in the way for commoners to wear.

So, please feel free to submit covered clothing appropriate to Allanaki commoners. You will find visual examples here.

And please, also keep the new submission guidelines, which you can locate here.
Lāche pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Zenith

Re: Allanaki Commoner Clothing!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »
!!!!!!!

<3 

I'm too excited for actual words!!

Can we specify some things to be clanned, or will it all be open to crafters at large?

Cayuga

• Storyteller
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 03:02:42 PM »
I think specifying some things that are amazingly fine to be Kadian make only are acceptable. I'd rather not see more uniforms for Oashi/Borsail/Tor/whatever aides being created. There is enough already for them in place.
Lāche pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Zenith

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
No problem! I was thinking of making items Kadius-only and wanted to check.

*Now wants to be in Kadius to make all the pretty things*

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
If I may add, I don't think there are any sandcloth windcloaks that come in orange or white. Last time I checked. It may be though that I simply wasn't using the right "embroidery/lining/stitching".
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

boog

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Why would you add that? Why not... just, um, put a submission call in? :P
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

ChibiTama

• Helper
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
What title shall we give our submissions and what clan should we choose?
Quote from: AdamBlue
wear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Cayuga

• Storyteller
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 10:48:57 PM »
Kadius or Salarr. Allanaki Commoner Clothing.
Lāche pas la patate!

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »
Does this include belts, footwear?
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »
So that 80 character limit. How ironclad is that?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Zenith

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
It's 80 characters per line. You can write multiple lines. And the 80 character per line rule is pretty hard and fast. You can always go under, just not over. :)

See http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51591.0.html the "Best Practices for Submissions" page for a more detailed accounting of information.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »
Does this include belts, footwear?

That depends upon what exactly is submitted. If you want to submit a few, we can discuss the necessity to continue from there.

Footwear is certainly more pertinent than belts, if that's helpful in guiding your creative process to focus, Delirium.
Lāche pas la patate!

Zenith

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
I'm not sure if it will be approved or not, but I'm submitting a craft to make "a length of brown linen" because I've always thought it was odd there wasn't any.

Soooo.... if you've been wanting to make something brown, there will hopefully be brown linen for you to make it with. Just sharing because I thought it might be useful to others in their craft planning.

Hitsuchi

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 03:33:16 PM »
What are all the colors that are available for sandcloth and linen lengths to work with?

ChibiTama

• Helper
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
Here is a list of common cloth and what colors they come in. If I missed something, please let me know.

• a length of coarse, black sandcloth
  • a length of coarse, red sandcloth
  • a length of coarse, brown sandcloth
  • a length of coarse, grey sandcloth
  • a length of purple sandcloth
  • a length of red sandcloth
  • a length of orange sandcloth
  • a length of yellow sandcloth
  • a length of green sandcloth
  • a length of blue sandcloth
  • a length of purple sandcloth
  • a length of white sandcloth
  • a length of black sandcloth
  • a length of grey sandcloth
  • a length of brown sandcloth
  • a length of white linen
  • a length of grey linen
  • a length of silver linen
  • a length of brown linen
  • a length of black linen
  • a length of red linen
  • a length of orange linen
  • a length of golden linen
  • a length of yellow linen
  • a length of green linen
  • a length of blue linen
  • a length of purple linen
  • a length of white cotton
  • a length of black cotton
  • a length of red cotton
  • a length of yellow cotton
  • a length of green cotton
  • a length of blue cotton
  • a length of purple cotton
  • a length of silver cotton
  • a length of golden cotton
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:04:01 PM by ChibiTama »
wear Inix pelvis
etwo wood
kill booty

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
What (coded) color of lengths of cotton are available?

Chibi, you missed coarse, grey sandcloth.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
Also, isn't linen supposed to be more popular in the north while cotton is more popular in the south?

Am I remembering incorrectly?

Was that more of an arbitrary documentation decision that we're now ignoring due to the closure of Tuluk?

ChibiTama

• Helper
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:38 PM »
I added the coarse, grey sandcloth and added in the colors of cotton I know exist in the code. However, with Tuluk closed, cotton is very scarce and I have not seen it in game in a long time aside from clothes that pop up in shops.
wear Inix pelvis
etwo wood
kill booty

BadSkeelz

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
Also, isn't linen supposed to be more popular in the north while cotton is more popular in the south?

Am I remembering incorrectly?

Was that more of an arbitrary documentation decision that we're now ignoring due to the closure of Tuluk?

I definitely recall cotton being a more northern material. Sandcloth is the southern common standard, with linen objects (and presumably clothing) being a step up in price and status. Not sure where the linen is coming from; I've never seen a flax plant in game.

I don't think you can go very far wrong with sandcloth and linen in the south.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 03:53:36 PM »
Oh yeah. I got that mixed up. Cotton = northern, linen = southern. Duh. Thanks. ;D

manipura

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »
I've always found the clothing and fabric documentation to be a little unclear and inconsistent...

The help files state that linen is generally only seen in the north and is popular with the gypsies, yet it's available for purchase in the south.

The only geographic reference I can find about cotton states that while it's cheap and readily available, when it's seen in the north it tends to be glossy and floral printed.  This sort of implies that it's cheap and readily available everywhere, it's just glossy and floral-printed in the north.  This clearly isn't the case because cotton isn't so plentiful.  Even before that thing that happened that made cotton harder to get...it still wasn't plentiful outside of Tuluk.

Despite cotton not being readily available outside of Tuluk...Allanaki fashions docs state that commoner clothing is simpler and cheaper but often imitates the fashion of the nobility.  "... while nobles often wear ornately decorated silks and other lush fabrics, commoners wear cottons, sandcloth or other inexpensive textiles."

So...it's all a little confusing if you look at the documentation and then at how things actually are in game.
I have wondered, like Delirium suggested, whether some of the specific fashion documentation is being ignored because of Tuluk's closure.

I would think that the best choice is to stick to sandcloth and linen for this batch of submissions?  Since those are the materials readily available?
Of course that's not saying to stay away from cotton :) I just can't help but think that if there are a bunch of cotton crafts submitted, they won't actually be made in game, because of cotton being harder to get.  :-\

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
Yeah, that's weird.  I always thought cotton was northern and linen was southern, at least in part because of sandcloth seeming like a very loose-woven linen.  Also, cotton and the hotter temps would be ew.
Retired from playing, but probably still lurking around somewhere.

Oh and I have a writing blog.

Talia

• Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
Sandcloth is kind of the "whatever" of fabrics in Zalanthas: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Sandcloth

It's OK to use cotton in Allanaki clothing, but with Tuluk closed it's harder to get, yep. (There is Allanaki commoner garb which already uses cotton.) It's not virtually harder to get, it's just codedly harder to get.

A lot of the fashion documentation was written forever ago and never brought into coded reality or lined up with what was actually happening in game. Consider the silk documentation: http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Silk We're supposed to have 2 types of silk. Of course, codedly, silk lengths are purchased rather than crafted so this has never been made real or fixed.
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!”

manipura

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
I know someone said that they submitted a recipe for brown linen...but is 'a length of brown sandcloth' actually a thing?  Different from the coarse sandcloth, I mean?  I've never seen it in game and I've never been able to come up with a way to craft it, despite trying all the combinations that should make brown.

Also, all of these are items in game but are missing from the list above:
a length of grey linen
a length of silver cotton
a length of golden cotton
a length of greyish, raw cotton (I think this is the sdesc for this item, but if someone else knows for sure, feel free to confirm or deny :) )

What about a length of grey cotton?  I can't remember if that's a thing or not.  Not the blotchy fabric you're left with when you fail, but actual grey cotton?

ChibiTama

• Helper
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 08:02:39 PM »
If it's so common in the south, why not make it available in the shops like linen and the rest of the fabrics?
wear Inix pelvis
etwo wood
kill booty