Armageddon PC Ronin

Started by Ronin39, August 16, 2016, 03:50:39 PM

Ok as i have not been able to access internet for quite some time i finally was able to today and i had chance to read over some of the replies to my last announcement and as i read through some of them and i stress some i began to wonder if the entire statement was even read before some replied  :-\ so instead of sending replies to every single person i decided this would be easiest to do. Again this is in reference to my pc on Armageddon which i dont feel makes a difference if his names known or not because i dont believe when he wakes he will last long and ill need recreate anyway which i think is best regardless so i can start a new pc and change somethings around isnt that what the first few pcs in this mud are for anyway? To learn with?  :-\ i thought so....OK First i never friken stated once that i expected my pc to be treated "all warm and fuzzy" as was put by someone i forget.. i said that the treatment was awful and whatnot i never said it was expected to be warm and fuzzy so get some glasses and your facts straight i was implying that someone new to the mud thats just learning the ways should be at least given half a chance to learn before the world comes down on em good christ.... Ok onto the rest.. i read a few who replied that most of the pcs in armageddon are actually not mean in real life that is the people who control them.. again i stated at the end of the statement that maybe most are good people and just rp their pc that way. So i have no idea why im reading replies like this. I will say that as of now i have and need to work on my studying of this mud and decide if i can rp this way if i can rp my pcs that i create this way to be mean and nasty like just about most of the other pcs in the mud ..not saying all ok so dont say i am saying all are because im not. After i look everything over and remember my pc experiences i will decide what to do but because their are no real rules in the mud other then rpn out how you wish then i dont neccessarily have to have a mean pc do i? Ultimately in the end its my choice how to rp my characters here as well as how you rp your characters is yours. Right now im laying back.. Should i return ill know what to expect and what to do. Being off the net right now may be a good thing give me time to reflect and reevalutate how to play this mud.

I would suggest to go over to the Helper Chat and a Helper can help you.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Hey,

You're absolutely right, the first few PCs on a MUD like Armageddon are for learning the game. You have other ways to learn about the game, too - contacting Helpers using the "Get Live Help!" button on the main page, reading documentation, or putting a question request out to staff with the request tool.

The game has a steep learning curve in-game. Most players understand the difficulty of being a newbie and can identify them, then proceed to take them aside and help them. We don't require that players be helpful to newbies because they are newbies; however, it's expected that players will roleplay with you just the same as they would with anyone else.

You don't need to have a mean PC - you just need to have a PC that fits within the game world. Take your average human from Allanak. He/she dislikes other races, hates Tulukis, and is fearful of the gemmed. If your PC somehow breaks one of those cultural rules, they should at least understand that it -is- a common cultural rule and that they're deviating from the norm. A good rule of thumb I've seen posted before is that if you make your character an exception in one way, make them true to the documentation in ten other ways. I think that is good advice, and helps your PC fit in without appearing out-of-place.

Let us know if you have any questions.

My first PC didn't even have the opportunity for other PCs to be nasty to him.

He walked 4 rooms out the gates of Tuluk and a halfling warrior NPC ate him.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 16, 2016, 05:00:48 PM
My first PC didn't even have the opportunity for other PCs to be nasty to him.

He walked 4 rooms out the gates of Tuluk and a halfling warrior NPC ate him.

You lasted what, then?  Six minutes?  :D
My first PC poked at an NPC templar in the Bazaar and got handled before I knew what was happening.

I remember being so happy the first time I had a PC live long enough to interact with other PCs for more than half a second at a time.
Of course with each of those PCs I thought something like "Man I think I'm doing this all wrong.  Next one will be -way- better!"

It took awhile before 'way better' happened.

Heh, my first PC slaughtered children in the old Orchard up in Tuluk while picking fruit. Eventually executed in the Sanctuary by a Blue Robe after being magickally blinded by him. I was super confused based on my previous hack and slash experience. I thought people were being super mean to me for no reason.

August 17, 2016, 03:57:22 PM #6 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:59:40 PM by Dunetrade55
My first PC wandered the rinth for a RL hour, and found this sweet bone helm, and holy shit, it FITS... needless to say, I died and the rinth is still one of my favorite places to play.

EDIT: I put on the sweet, valuable helm and it triggered the NPC aggro code, no regrets, but I remember being pale and shaking a few minutes, and I assumed a player did it despite my attempts to RP. So then I rolled up an amnesiac breed Ranger in Luir's, and shit quickly got epic.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

August 17, 2016, 04:09:27 PM #7 Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:20:11 PM by Dunetrade55
Best advice I can give, this is a hardcore perma-death game, it's going to hurt, but that's what you signed up for, iisn't it? Quality roleplay just doesn't happen when you can get rezzed. You can't win, you won't win, approach it like a game of nethack with RP involved. Yes, the world is trying to kill you, as is everyone you meet. Rise to the challenge and stab everyone who gets in your way.

EDIT: And thank Tektolnes it's not quite slash'em. The star vampire spam roasts you until you die. Like what? Really?! What the fuck IS this thing and WHY is it in the gnomish mines?!
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

I would also suggest that even though you can't win the game, you can still write stories of your characters and help other write theirs.  In fact, I think, in a way, that's a win win and it could be the closest way of winning the game.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on August 17, 2016, 05:21:35 PM
I would also suggest that even though you can't win the game, you can still write stories of your characters and help other write theirs.  In fact, I think, in a way, that's a win win and it could be the closest way of winning the game.

Novels wrap themself up neatly at the end to clearly define the end of the book.

This novel doesn't end.  It never wraps up neatly.  It's just endlessly evolving plots and ending of plots, making a celtic knot where every plot that ends recycles back into existing ones and forms new ones.

It's cool like that.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Ronin39 on August 16, 2016, 03:50:39 PM
i said that the treatment was awful and whatnot i never said it was expected to be warm and fuzzy so get some glasses and your facts straight i was implying that someone new to the mud thats just learning the ways should be at least given half a chance to learn before the world comes down on em good christ....

In response, from what I had seen, the PC was obviously new and people around knew that. He was given a LOT more leeway than other PCs were at the time, and the "world coming down" was a superior Officer saying "You better get your ass to chores because that horn sounded. Next time I'm going to beat your ass" or some other vague threat.

There's "give me a chance to learn" and there's "this is how the world is, we are trying to give you the setting characteristics".

OK First i never friken stated once that i expected my pc to be treated "all warm and fuzzy" as was put by someone i forget.. i said that the treatment was awful and whatnot i never said it was expected to be warm and fuzzy so get some glasses and your facts straight

You said your treatment was awful, then what are we, as the readers, supposed to infer as to what your expectations were? If what you were treated with was indeed awful, terrible, just plain bad... maybe you didn't expect warm and fuzzy but what middle ground did you expect?

I will say that as of now i have and need to work on my studying of this mud and decide if i can rp this way if i can rp my pcs that i create this way to be mean and nasty like just about most of the other pcs in the mud ..not saying all ok so dont say i am saying all are because im not. After i look everything over and remember my pc experiences i will decide what to do but because their are no real rules in the mud other then rpn out how you wish then i dont neccessarily have to have a mean pc do i? Ultimately in the end its my choice how to rp my characters here as well as how you rp your characters is yours.

This is exactly right. No, not everyone is mean, but its a harsh desert planet where a VAST MAJORITY of people are out for themselves, and are incredibly selfish. You do not have to roleplay being mean, but if you roleplay the nice, trusting guy you WILL be taken advantage of. As a new player that can be a very hard thing to come to terms with, because people will betray your trust in a heartbeat.

There are SOME rules to the MUD, but it IS your choice to Roleplay how you want to. But its on the rest of us to continue making the world come alive as best we can. I would VERY MUCH suggest sending Staff a request (through the main site, ask a Helper for.... help) and give them more specific details of what you felt was "over the line" or "just plain mean". Even with what you've talked about on the boards, we don't (and shouldn't) have all the details. Maybe someone did step over the line. Maybe on your first character, you joined a band of murderers and coin-hoarders and the tone was a bit rougher than you expected.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.