city vs wilderness hide

Started by 650Booger, August 15, 2016, 08:28:11 PM

Hello all, so to frame my questions, imagine I have a freshly created ranger/thief character.  (this is hypothetical.  I do not have one.)
the ranger guild does not start off with wilderness hide, but can later branch it and level it to master
the thief subguild starts with city hide and caps at (I think) journeyman.

1. Will the brand new ranger have the ability to hide in the wilderness, since he has hide as a skill from the thief subguild?
2. If I master hide out in the wilderness, then go to the city and hide, will my hide be codedly master or journeyman?

apologies in advance if this is something I should learn IC, or is otherwise inappropriate to discuss.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

1. I'm pretty sure you can test this. If you hide somewhere mismatched with your skills it will say something like, "It isn't the wilderness, but you try anyway".

2. Pretty sure it will be master for both city/wilderness.

Quote from: 650Booger on August 15, 2016, 08:28:11 PM
Hello all, so to frame my questions, imagine I have a freshly created ranger/thief character.  (this is hypothetical.  I do not have one.)
the ranger guild does not start off with wilderness hide, but can later branch it and level it to master
the thief subguild starts with city hide and caps at (I think) journeyman.

1. Will the brand new ranger have the ability to hide in the wilderness, since he has hide as a skill from the thief subguild?
2. If I master hide out in the wilderness, then go to the city and hide, will my hide be codedly master or journeyman?

apologies in advance if this is something I should learn IC, or is otherwise inappropriate to discuss.

Historically, if you had a primary guild that branched a city/wilderness version of a skill, and a subclass that started with the opposite version of a skill, you would start with both versions, and they both would advance to whichever maximum was higher.  Both versions worked off a single skill, so if your hide skill was at (master), and you had both versions it would be at that level in both city and wilderness.

I don't know if this has been changed recently.  I know there's always been a set of folks clamoring for them to be separated.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

As far as I know the whole wilderness/city hide thing was a sort of boolean, even if you don't want to be a creep in the cities, ranger/thief is an excellent choice because it unlocks two skills it could take you ten days played to branch. I'm unsure if they changed it since, due to the fact you never know if you're hidden until that pesky soldier carts you off saying, "I wish they'd move the jail closer to the criminals." sneak around and use semote to indicate your bumbling and see how people react.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.