As you fall, you land on your neck!

Started by Reiloth, August 10, 2016, 12:30:41 AM

AH! 13 meters, FUCK... that's a good ways. Damn.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

I think there should be risk climbing up from a normal room.  But I think that risk should be a little more proportionate.  Maybe a larger hit to stamina, some stun, some hp, and delay (which would still suck in a room with a critter in it without being a no matter what instant death) instead of 'all your stun no matter what.'
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

All your stun are belong to us.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 10, 2016, 07:41:18 PM
AH! 13 meters, FUCK... that's a good ways. Damn.
No it was four metres. If I fell 13, I'd have hit the ground and died.

It's kind've a death trap. Dying to PKs is fun. Dying to a failed climb check is sorrow.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

If a necker lands on its neck in an empty street, does it make a sound?

Quote from: The Warshaper on August 10, 2016, 08:52:44 PM
If a necker lands on its neck in an empty street, does it make a sound?

Yes, the game codedly whispers into the ears of other neckers, "Boooots." This is why you see so many of them jump and run out of the Gaj for no reason.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: path on August 10, 2016, 08:40:15 PM
It's kind've a death trap. Dying to PKs is fun. Dying to a failed climb check is sorrow.

Yeah, had it happen to a spec app I was enjoying once. Sigh. At ground level, because, flee.

Why not just make crit fail remove all available stamina.  Just that. That simple. While at the same time scrambling for purchase take no stamina what so ever. If you're doing a 1 room climb, well then you gotta rest a lot. If you're up 5 stories and crit fail, then guess what ... you cant climb up. You got plenty of time to emote and do whatever you like and then ... you're letting go.

If you want to. You can scramble for purchase and stop the fall. Which will get you stuck again, since no stamina, but instead of 5 room fall, you're dropping down 3 room fall. And so on.

Quote from: Dar on August 10, 2016, 09:48:54 PM
Why not just make crit fail remove all available stamina.  Just that. That simple. While at the same time scrambling for purchase take no stamina what so ever. If you're doing a 1 room climb, well then you gotta rest a lot. If you're up 5 stories and crit fail, then guess what ... you cant climb up. You got plenty of time to emote and do whatever you like and then ... you're letting go.

If you want to. You can scramble for purchase and stop the fall. Which will get you stuck again, since no stamina, but instead of 5 room fall, you're dropping down 3 room fall. And so on.

Still a death sentance, unless you're a city elf and in a certain tile, running costs stamina. If you're fleeing, you have good reason to get away.

Attempting to scramble for purchase can be a death sentence in and of itself.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I've heard ICly it's better to just drop than attempt to grab a ledge unless you're good at it.

I just skip climbing tasks and RPTs. If it's really important staff will bring it to us.

I hate this piece of code. Hatehatehte it.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

As I understand it, a climbing/falling room has the same difficulty across the board. So a 'short climb' is just as hard as a 'long climb', it's just that you have to climb more rooms, and therefore combat more risk of failure, especially if you are climbing down.

It'd be cool if:
*Climbing ropes were more useful climbing down than climbing up.
*Climbing equipment were more useful in both scenarios, especially if used in tandem with climbing ropes.
*A climbing rope modified the climbing difficulty of a room.

In a crazy ideal world i'd like:
*A climbing rope can be staked at the top of a difficult climb.
*A climbing rope 'item' is then present in all the falling rooms below it.
*A climbing rope can have a length assigned to it -- So some rope may not make it all the way down a long, long drop.
*A person with or without climbing can use the rope. Obviously a person with climbing would be much better at using it.
*Climbing spikes help in climbing up, and in 'scrambling for purchase'.
*Other 'spiked' equipment, such as gloves or boots, help 'scramble for purchase', and minorly help in climbing up, but don't help in climbing down.

If, there were also a variance in difficulty for rooms, it may go a long way in ameliorating the problem. So, distance has less to do with it overall than actual difficulty.

Is it a vertical climb? Mostly vertical, but with footholds/handholds? Not that bad, and a pretty short climb to boot?

Being able to apply like 'Difficulty_1' to 'Difficulty_5' could make for interesting climbing encounters, where a 'mountain climb' isn't simply about the distance to the top. There could be areas that are really hard without climbing equipment, and areas that are OK to free climb to.

At the end of the day, it'd be nice to get rid of this piece of code or replace it with something a little less 'Ginka Sapped you'.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room which is up climbing tiles in the city proper and how they interact with conflicts with aggro mobs. (yes, there are some aggro city mobs, and they tend to DROP down on you from above, meaning "up" is still a valid flee direction). Please fix this bit of code before the next HRPT is miscalculated as far as the estimated death toll.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 11, 2016, 02:12:14 PM
I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room which is up climbing tiles in the city proper and how they interact with conflicts with aggro mobs. (yes, there are some aggro city mobs, and they tend to DROP down on you from above, meaning "up" is still a valid flee direction). Please fix this bit of code before the next HRPT is miscalculated as far as the estimated death toll.

Ah, good point.

Yeah I feel like 'up down and fleeing into a room that is a fall room' should be removed. I forgot this recently happened to my PC (Fleeing from combat 'up').

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 11, 2016, 02:18:44 PM
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 11, 2016, 02:12:14 PM

Ah, good point.

Yeah I feel like 'up down and fleeing into a room that is a fall room' should be removed. I forgot this recently happened to my PC (Fleeing from combat 'up').

You haven't really played the game until you've gotten all invested in your character and find yourself screaming WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUCK?! at that mantis head. Then you rationalize it by saying, well, my PC mistook themselves for motherfucking Jackie Chan... then you eventually realize, it wasn't just you, ALL Zalanthans think they're Jackie Chan and that corner kicks are a valid escape plan. It's immersion breaking in that it's hideously suicidal, unless, you ARE Jackie Chan, and, you're not.

Quote from: Delirium on August 10, 2016, 09:29:35 AM
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 10, 2016, 09:19:59 AM
I hate this bit of code, and I MOSTLY see it when I go to flee from combat in a room with a climb exit and I happen to get unlucky and the random direction is up. You can guess what happens next.

Thank goodness they fixed the bug where even if you succeeded your climb check you'd fall.

Next step is to devalue the hell out of climb-check exits so that you never choose those on a flee if any other exit is available, unless you manually type in the direction, i.e. >flee e

Pls.

Yeah. You should NEVER default flee up/down or into a climb room unless you manually type that direction.

Going lemming is ridiculous way to die.

edit: oops again.

my connection hates me.

August 11, 2016, 02:36:12 PM #45 Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:49:44 PM by Delirium
edit: Oops.

You attempt to post, but slip and land on your neck!

Oops.

I'm pretty sure they fixed the automatic climb-flee fail thing.

let's see... do the fall on your neck damage /after/ you hit the ground and not after you fail. - so you don't end up knocked out in the air get your wits only to fall and knock yourself out again.

I also have been wanting to idea ropes be like tent items.
unroll rope (or for sake of a different command)
>stake rope ---- you unravel and set up a climbing rope.
And then every room below this rope has +to climbing skill or  -climbing difficulty or however the game works.

[ if room = rope_Stake
climb_difficulty  = 3
else climb difficulty = 9001 ]
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Having encountered this jewel of a piece of code again tonight, I have to say -- It sucks. I hate it. It makes me not want to play a sneaky character that climbs at all, because the risk of climbing is like playing with fire.

At the very least, make it a branch able skill that anyone can achieve, such as ride, instead of an archaic skill that needs to branch from something unrelated. Climbing isn't rocket science.

~Jack Vance~

A lampshade might not be Jackie Chan.