In Focus: Allanaki Fashions

Started by Cayuga, August 08, 2016, 08:55:05 PM

I could see some clothes like these as well.

And where can I get me some of these?

Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on August 22, 2016, 02:19:01 AM

And where can I get me some of these?

I've seen some clothes like these in Luir's, though they're closer to the traditional inspirations than Western harem pants. I think they'd only show in Allanak at a tribal-themed orgy party.

I do like Indian formal wear for the style and complete impracticality for actually getting anything accomplished while wearing it. Good Noble fashion.

There aren't enough backpacks, sashes, pouches, and satchels in these images.  :P  :D

Quote from: Delirium on August 22, 2016, 10:20:06 AM
There aren't enough backpacks, sashes, pouches, and satchels in these images.  :P  :D

Needs more turtle backpacks.

You know who you are, bahamet-pack.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: bardlyone on August 16, 2016, 01:31:27 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 16, 2016, 01:21:54 PM
This seems as good a place as any to ask: what do folks envision when they see someone decked out in sandcloth?

I think of non-armor dothraki clothes, ie dany's handmaids here:

Jimmy cast a necro thread, and I don't care...

I am gonna disagree with bardly! I think that is wayyyy too much skin showing for anyone in Allanak. Way too much! Neck, bust, arms? And those hems ain't ankle length.

But to go back to the awesome link that path provided earlier in the thread, http://old.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html ... I think one of the MOST IMPORTANT and overlooked bits is at the bottom!

SOUTHERN STYLES
Fabric  Cotton, Sandcloth, Silk
Styles    Tight, Tailored, Tapered, Wrapped, Layered, High Necklines (little skin exposure)
Prints   Geometric, Stripes, or none
Trims   Embroidery, Bands of Solid Colors, Patterned Hems

I definitely think linen can be added to the fabric though, too, provided it's layered enough so as to not be sheer. Cotton's hard to get, after all since [redacted] went and [redacted] the [redacted].
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

For clarity's sake, I think the Dothraki clothes were just to indicate what sandcloth looks like, as a material, not proposing those are typical commoner styles.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVfuy0_NJM

A rectangular length of linen isn't a very catchy description unfortunately.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

craft linen

You can craft a rectangular length of linen in to...
     1) a plain cloth himation [mangeable]
     2) a plain cloth tebenna [mangeable]
     3) a plain cloth toga [mangeable]
     4) a plain cloth chlamys [mangeable]

Don't forget about kurtas! They can be for men or women and can have varying sleeve lengths.

etwo wood
kill booty

August 29, 2016, 11:32:26 AM #86 Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:34:00 AM by Dakota
For Allanak, I always go with Cormac McCarthy descriptions from Blood Meridian...  Most poor (thus most people in Allanaki), I imagine, are:

Quote from: Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian"...small and misshapen and his face was smeared with feces and he sat peering at them with dull hostility silently chewing a turd."

Granted that's an extreme you'd see in the Rinth but... There's this passage as well...

Quote from: Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian"...A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools."

Randomly pieced together from what was traded for, bought or scavaged off the murderer who scavaged it years yore from an owner whose bones are now dust.

That is Allanaki fashion, despite the tastes and wares of nobles and their aides. Fashion does exist for sure... Yet I believe for the masses? The mounds of snow and not snowflakes, it's more about...

A savage, ecelectic mess of clothes and armor that read the desperate state of existence where survival has overtaken luxuries congruent to 'quality of life'.
Czar of City Elves.

Fun to imagine, but rarely fun to play out long-term. Maybe for the poorest of the poor, but like it or not, most PCs aren't that.

Quote from: Samoa on August 28, 2016, 01:42:45 AM
For clarity's sake, I think the Dothraki clothes were just to indicate what sandcloth looks like, as a material, not proposing those are typical commoner styles.

Yes, that is what I meant. The texture of the clothes, not the cut of them. If anything, the cut looks more tribal/luir's to me.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Fitted pantaloons

Billowy pantaloons

Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Aw yis. Wacky stripper heels.

Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Where is the next one for this series?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Apparently you can't make grey silk items?
Or is this a Kadian only thing?
Give me some grey silk crafts ;.;

Quote from: Jihelu on October 24, 2016, 08:28:22 PM
Apparently you can't make grey silk items?
Or is this a Kadian only thing?
Give me some grey silk crafts ;.;

Mastercraft with them. :)
The only use I've found for grey silk has been as an ingredient in a mastercraft or two.

It's one of those things that got in game with no (or very few) crafts for it.  A good number of crafts that use fabric are like that.  You assume you can make the same things with all the different colours of fabric, and then...you can't. :/

Some of them seem more Tuluki  or tribal than Nakki to me, due to how 'revealing' it is.

Allanak is a rigidly traditional society, and this has affected the city's trends in fashion throughout the years. For example, the modesty of one's attire is considered before comfort, despite the high temperatures citizens must deal with daily. Even among nobility, style is the priority. While the body may be covered almost entirely, Allanaki fashion can nonetheless be provocative. Less bare flesh, yet more of the wearer's figure, is revealed. Hemlines are low and collars are high. Arms are sometimes left bare, though the lower a garment's neckline, the longer the sleeves.

So I'd imagine something either form-fitting that covers most of the body. I like that the lower a garment's neckline, the longer the sleeves. I also imagine the lower class wears more loose, draping clothes - layered - rather than form fitting, as that seem more high class to me.
I ruin immershunz.

Meanwhile the lower classes just sorta throw together whatever they can...

(just pretend the wool is sandcloth and the shoes are boots)