Cats and Dogs

Started by Reiloth, August 05, 2016, 02:26:05 AM

I'm actually looking and finding a few scattered examples of snakes serving as pest-control. There seems to be one tribe in India (where cats are probably uncommon) who makes use of them.

There are cats. Quirri, rantarri, kalich, kiyet- they're all cats.

Domesticated cats, now, that I doubt.

RAT: considering the above, 'catty' would be more a compliment than insult.

Maybe if we had "Cats" to derive it from. I'm not sure that word even exists. The help file for the various felines describes them as "felines," and I don't think your average commoner would be aware of that word or the biological connections.

Too bad, as "Kiyetish" is pleasantly close to "coquettish." Though given their behavior, describing someone as "kiyetish" probably implies impetuosity and prone to falling from high places more than flirtatious.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 07, 2016, 02:53:11 PM
Maybe if we had "Cats" to derive it from. I'm not sure that word even exists. The help file for the various felines describes them as "felines," and I don't think your average commoner would be aware of that word or the biological connections.

Too bad, as "Kiyetish" is pleasantly close to "coquettish." Though given their behavior, describing someone as "kiyetish" probably implies impetuosity and prone to falling from high places more than flirtatious.

Kind of a spin-off tangent, but I've sometimes struggled with some things in the game like 'cat' which feel anachronistic or non-Zalanthan, yet are in room descriptions (there's a room with 'bees' in it!), or sdesc of objects (there is a 'cat' object and it is made out of a very common material to the Vrun), or the smells/tastes (some smells list off things like cloves and cinnamon). 

My general rule of thumb: use common sense, and if in serious doubt file a report to staff.  But in general, if it is there in the sdesc/taste/smell/room description, then it is a word you can use.

Other examples: tomahawk, honey (I guess there was kank honey and there are bees), rainbow (some items do have this in their descriptions).

But that's a tangent.  I like the suggestion above that the cat statues are a vestige from pre-apocalypse days -- although I've also just taken them as status of quirris.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 07, 2016, 02:53:11 PM

lol seriously dude?

I mean, I take this game pretty seriously, but I'm still gonna say 'cat' if 'cat' is the word that makes sense.

feline = cat

rantarri = big mofuggin cat

I'm not sure I've ever actually used the word. I'll be curious to see what my logs say.

I actually do play those kind of word games to keep myself immersed.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 07, 2016, 03:48:26 PM
I'm not sure I've ever actually used the word. I'll be curious to see what my logs say.

I actually do play those kind of word games to keep myself immersed.

Cat i've used, dog too. I replace things like 'boat' with 'skimmer', 'Whatever sails your skimmer', and so on. I do try to keep things in the universe, but it can be hard.

Rainbow is tricky for instance. Prismatic?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I let 'rain' slide (and rainbow) when people use it in expressions, like: arrows were raining down, or, heheh, it's raining cats and dogs!  (Ok, the last shouldn't be used.)

The phenomenon of a rainbow (or prism) would be known: water from waterskins and glass both produce these in the sun, although, yeah, rainbow is a tricky one.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I think it was Sanvean who once said that just because your average commoner would never see steel is absolutely no reason to reject a commoner pc application for having steel-grey hair. We're all humans. We all speak english. We've all seen steel and know what color it is. We've seen cats and know what they look like. We've seen rainbows and know what they look like. Using English words is fine so long as they aren't anachronistic. "As red as a shiny new tractor' is probably crossing a line.

I've seen staff animations of nobles owning quirris on leashes and other semi-domesticated "cats" of Zalanthas...Kurac bred those Kurtok dogs a long time ago too which were actually npcs (Tor ended up owning one). So high-class individuals owning semi-domesticated versions of wild beasts is absolutely not out of the question.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on December 07, 2016, 06:32:35 PM
Kurac bred those Kurtok dogs a long time ago too which were actually npcs (Tor ended up owning one). So high-class individuals owning semi-domesticated versions of wild beasts is absolutely not out of the question.

This is true. I had a PC who owned a kurtok too (worst guard NPC ever). It was a doomed experiment, but cool as hell while it lasted.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.