Poison Crafting?

Started by Riev, August 01, 2016, 06:22:08 PM

Maybe could make it so perraine bits and heramide bits have to be crafted into a poison off the brew skill?
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 01:51:26 PM
Maybe could make it so perraine bits and heramide bits have to be crafted into a poison off the brew skill?

This, I like.

You craft components into a 'brewed up' poison that you can then hold and poison with.

This would require brew/poison to be flattened, so that you don't need to branch one from the other. Which I think should be the case anyways. Poisoning without tablets is dumb.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Or you can have the poison skill have crafting attached to it, rather than being a binary y/n application skill.

In keeping with Manipura's observation, some deadly poisons do exist in raw natural form.  I just think that  a.  If they are off a creature, that creature should probably be really scary to deal with. and b. If they're off a plant, it would be nice if there were anti-farming measures, like random spawn locations or something.

Most strong poisons, I'd like to see as the result of a good poisoner's crafting rather than something that is plucked directly out of corpse or plant.  Perhaps even multiple stages of crafting, as exist in other items, i.e. Heramide becomes a strong grishen mixture with an accelerant or something.

Overall weakening of poisons across the board, but lower access to cures and a crafting process to strengthen weak natural poisons or moderate natural poisons?  Blam.  We get to see bloodburn and such as viable again, and bloodburn creatures become not a -grave- concern, but a concern again.

The sources of peraine in game currently, I feel are reasonably hard to get.  Heramide?  ::)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Bloodburn already is kind of viable, if you find someone without a cure for it, like, say, someone fresh out of chargen, with no contacts yet, particularly if off-peak, bonus points if in isolated area, yet more if elf or breed. Bloodburn is the name for general poison, yes? I don't think it should be as viable as it already is. Should significantly weaken you, but, without a cure it can damn sure be deadly. I feel if you absolutely, positively must kill someone, nine times out of ten you should have to step up your poison game.

...soooo...general poison is good for killing newbies but becomes obsolete the moment someone makes friends or plays in the time where they can buy a cure.

Thank you for contributing to exactly why I had these thoughts in the first place.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I honestly don't think general poison should be as potentially deadly as it is. The health damage effect is, understandable, but I'd rather that lessened and maybe some temp stat damage depending on potency, so, you know, you'd be feeling it, and you definitely wouldn't want to be fighting or doing much of anything dangerous under the influence of it. Bloodburn is pretty easy to get though, from what I gather. The rarer poisons should be more deadly (have had experiences with terradin, no need for a change there, unless to lower potencies for lesser brews), the more common ones more focused on weakening the opponent, in my opinion.

I would think the lesser poisons should serve as either a warning, or a debuff in a fight (or a practical joke).

August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM #32 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:56:51 PM by Reiloth
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp), no HP regen while active, and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

I agree with Armaddict's assessment -- There should be natural sources of poison, but also crafted/concocted sources of poison. Allowing for a less binary system (as Delirium points out) = better. Having malleability and creativity inbetween which poisons to interact with each other, potentially enhancing or negating their effects, seems like fun to me. Also not knowing if your poison is potent, and needing to test it out first.

So you might be able to craft a 1-3 use 'poison object' that you can poison with. The poison inside lasts until it's used (unless we make poisons decay, hurr hurr). So you can test an application, see what the effects are (either on yourself or a willing victim. Or unwilling victim!) and then put it to the real test. Bonus points if the poison isn't the same every time, especially if it's a low quality mix.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp) and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

That goes in with what I think we were both saying; weakening across the board of poisons, but making strong, potent poisons a craftable.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 02, 2016, 04:55:28 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp) and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

That goes in with what I think we were both saying; weakening across the board of poisons, but making strong, potent poisons a craftable.

Definitely yes. I would much rather see natural poisons be fewer and far between, and crafted poisons be more of a thing in the game. If that means weakening poisons overall, i'm down. Some of them seem rather OP anyways.

~Jack Vance~

I'm not sure I'm seeing the proposal and how it'd be different from where things are now.  Right now, you need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item (hopefully harder to find the deadlier the poison).
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply that item to the blade.

Under the proposal (as I understand it so far), you'd need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item.
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft that item into a poison.
3. to find someone with the 'posioning' skill to apply it to the blade.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Ok, given all that, I LIKE the idea... also, I like the idea of being able to increase your poisoning skill with something besides "You slip and cut yourself", particularly if cures will be fewer and further between.

It would be nice if a poison skill check were performed upon asssessing a concoction, and if it's low enough, perhaps providing a false return on the "sheen" (which would not tell you potency) like value does for items.

Quote from: nauta on August 02, 2016, 05:37:32 PM
I'm not sure I'm seeing the proposal and how it'd be different from where things are now.  Right now, you need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item (hopefully harder to find the deadlier the poison).
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply that item to the blade.

Under the proposal (as I understand it so far), you'd need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item.
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft that item into a poison.
3. to find someone with the 'posioning' skill to apply it to the blade.

Slight ammendment would be:

1. to find someone to gather the materials for the poison. This is potentially harmful, and has a medium risk/reward.
2. to find someone with the 'brew' skill to craft that item/those items into a poison. This is potentially harmful, and has a medium-high risk/reward.
3. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft poisons into each other, or to add accelerants/modifier items to potentially enhance/detract from the poison. This is definitely harmful, and has a high risk/reward.
4. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply it to a blade, or an ungent, or food, or water, or a perfume, or etc. This is definitely potentially harmful, but precautions could be taken to reduce the chance of success/harm to yourself. Wearing gloves means you succeed less, but also greatly reduces the chances of harming yourself during the process.

This translates pretty directly to RL in my experience. Any sort of gloves I wear at work reduce my tactile capabilities, as I don't have direct 'touch' with the objects I am working with. However, if I don't work with gloves, i'm directly exposed to chemicals/paints/toxins that gloves would otherwise protect me from. Perhaps certain poisons could be 'contact' poisons, so one must wear gloves to poison with them.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 05:39:25 PM
Ok, given all that, I LIKE the idea... also, I like the idea of being able to increase your poisoning skill with something besides "You slip and cut yourself", particularly if cures will be fewer and further between.

It would be nice if a poison skill check were performed upon asssessing a concoction, and if it's low enough, perhaps providing a false return on the "sheen" (which would not tell you potency) like value does for items.

I'd personally like to see 'telling what poison is on the blade via color' removed, and for someone to have to 'test' the blade. Based on your poison resistance (hidden skill) you either succumb to the effects of the poison without wiping it off, or you resist and discover what poison is on it. I mean, does that blade really have a 'red/yellow/black/green' sheen? That's sort of silly.

>test blade
You test the blade and believe it to be heramide.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 05:51:34 PM
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 05:39:25 PM

I'd personally like to see 'telling what poison is on the blade via color' removed, and for someone to have to 'test' the blade. Based on your poison resistance (hidden skill) you either succumb to the effects of the poison without wiping it off, or you resist and discover what poison is on it. I mean, does that blade really have a 'red/yellow/black/green' sheen? That's sort of silly.

>test blade
You test the blade and believe it to be heramide.

http://imgur.com/UZtLkcp

August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM #40 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:58:33 PM by Dresan
One of the biggest problems with poison is there is no real variation in potency. There should be a potency rating to poisons:

weak/mild/strong/deady

In the wilds you should be able to find natural occuring poisons but the majority should be weak and mild, with some strong scattered in interesting places. Then you can take two mild poisons and brew them into a strong poison, or take two strong poisons and brew them into a deadly poison.

A more potent poison should have three effects:
1. Greater chance for it to actually apply on your victim (but harder to apply on an object thus greater need of high levels of poison skill).
2. Take effect immediately and counters victims endurance/resistances bonuses.
3. Hurt much more

Imagine if a deadly brew of common poison hit someone for four times the normal effect per pulse.  Or if skellebain has a instant and stronger disorienting experience.   It doesn't mean a person still can't flee, flee and swallow tablet, but I bet their heart will skip a beat in the process. It will also make searching out and making these poisons more rewarding.

The other thing I wanted to suggest is to allow chopping and slashing weapons to be poisoned as well, mostly for variety sake (maybe with a certain level of poison skill).  Lastly, master poisoners should be able to add more than one poison to an object.

Quote from: Dresan on August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
some stuff said...

I like this. Rather than replacing the poison skill, brew could be used instead to craft poisons. Brew would probably need to be redone for poisons and cures, however. As it is, there's little to no failure in it (at least, from my experience). In real life, brewing is a pretty delicate process. A critical failure in brewing the poisons could lead to you inhaling the toxic vapors, resulting in you being at least slightly affected by the toxins.

Everything Dresan just said: +1.

I amend what I said earlier. Dresan's idea.... is what I'd like to see poisoning be.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: Dresan on August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
some stuff said...

Even if it was as simple as brew vial snakegland snakegland snakegland I'd dig that.
You manage to concentrate the venom
You create a vial of blood-colored liquid
or
While doing some crazy brew-thing you inhale some vapors. Whoops.
You're poisoned.

Turning brewing into more of a crafting skill with failures resulting in poisoning self. Instead of the tabletfactory + soapmaking skill combined, which it is currently.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

If you have real if need for that thing, you will mess with anyone probably if you character -truly- needs it that is. Other wise whats the point in the first place.

Quote from: Hauwke on August 21, 2016, 08:25:42 AM
If you have real if need for that thing, you will mess with anyone probably if you character -truly- needs it that is. Other wise whats the point in the first place.

... I am be got you I don't cry?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Sorry I posted that at like 1am.

Basically I meant  if you really need something you are going to go do x y z for it anyway.

i can tell you where to get so many super dangerous poisons other than that soh lanah kah one.

but you won't like what you have to do to get them.

first, you have to [redacted] a [censored] in the [deleted].

then you have to [null] your [invalid].

then you have poison.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Put the most dangerous poisons on the dangerous critters who you can't get a free-kill with archery on.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 22, 2016, 07:45:23 PM
Put the most dangerous poisons on the dangerous critters who you can't get a free-kill with archery on.

+1. Make them sentinel so they can't be hit with archery.

~Jack Vance~