Poison Crafting?

Started by Riev, August 01, 2016, 06:22:08 PM

Splitting off from the Decay Thread, I thought maybe we could talk about the idea of making "poisoning" a crafting skill, rather than the skill to apply it to a weapon.

How do you guys feel about the idea that any poison has to be successfully crafted, like "craft poison.gland vial into a vial of green syrup"? It would make the fail process a BIT more interesting, but may not be able to specifically make the poisoner get poisoned by his own things (because of the crafting code).

If that happened, what would happen to the poison item that was crafted? Does would there still need to be a skill to poison food and weapons? SHOULD there be skill involved in poisoning the tips of arrows and the steak of a noble, if you can get your hands on a crumbling tablet of bloodburn?

What do you guys think?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

When I was thinking about this the other day, I actually laughed at how catastrophic it would be if you couldn't tell if you succeeded or failed.  You got the product either way.  But it just wasn't poisonous.  That's a version of failure that we just don't have right now.  Combine it with other ways of failure, and creating poisons becomes a lot more interesting.

I think the poisoning skill should be required...but I think prevalence should be swapped between poison and brew.  More people able to apply poisons, but fewer people able to make poisons, and most poisoners being middlingly good at it.  It's not that they poison themselves all the time.  It's that their poison is often unreliable or weak in potency.

The cures could do with a revamp.  It's not that the system entirely needs to change as far as brew goes.  But every plant doesn't need to be made into a certain kind of cure.  Red tinted leaves and plants?  Cut it down to things that actually cleanse the blood or in some way counteract bloodburn.  Things that increase body metabolism?  Those become this kind of cure.

In essence...brew doesn't need a redo, perse (aside from making it a crafting skill like the others), but it could sure do with an overhaul as far as all the things that get used in it, and how common those things are.  Combine weaker poisons with fewer cures, and you've got a much more interesting poison-world, I think.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'd rather poisoning just not poison you if you were wearing gloves or something.
And leave it at that.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 01, 2016, 06:31:22 PM
When I was thinking about this the other day, I actually laughed at how catastrophic it would be if you couldn't tell if you succeeded or failed.  You got the product either way.  But it just wasn't poisonous.  That's a version of failure that we just don't have right now.  Combine it with other ways of failure, and creating poisons becomes a lot more interesting.

Ooh, now this is something I hadn't thought of. You brew a vial of poison, one way or the other, but there's not really a way to tell if its going to work, or not. But that'd require making a vial/tablet/etc of every poison, and then basically mirroring that object because if there was ANY indication it wouldn't work, it'd just be junked off anyway.

My concern is just as Armaddict mentioned, however, that cures would just be too easy, considering the likely nerfing of poisons because now they'd be super rare.

Again with the Brew Skill, what if the recipes it 'creates' were just turned into "craft" recipes, and brew as a command removed from the game. That way, at least for a short time period, apothecaries would need to 'master craft' different recipes into cures, that make sense.

* - or maybe one of the cures for a poison, isn't subverting the poison code by just poisoning you with a DIFFERENT poison, overwriting the first one. Just saying.

What is being described has some precedent in the game.  Potion making (pre brew, pre crafting) used to produce a bottle that was

1. what you tried to make + an extra beneficial spell (rare, magick can be mysteriously rewarding)
2. what you tried to make (most of the time)
3. what you tried to make + a negative spell (sometimes)
4. a dud (frustrating, but it happens)
5. purely negative spell (rare, you take your chances with magick).

The different bottles were indistinguishable from each other (in fact the same object).
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Cool!

Is that some of the old code that you've removed, or do you think it could be repurposed?  Obviously ideas take a lot of discussion and such on staff side, but is continued discussion on this on the player side desirable or is this one of those 'out of reach' code projects?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: nessalin on August 01, 2016, 07:15:09 PM
What is being described has some precedent in the game.  Potion making (pre brew, pre crafting) used to produce a bottle that was

1. what you tried to make + an extra beneficial spell (rare, magick can be mysteriously rewarding)
2. what you tried to make (most of the time)
3. what you tried to make + a negative spell (sometimes)
4. a dud (frustrating, but it happens)
5. purely negative spell (rare, you take your chances with magick).

The different bottles were indistinguishable from each other (in fact the same object).

I like the idea of this as things being distilled via brew into vials of poison, and using the 'poison' skill to do that, rather than actually apply the poison, and when it fails leaving the bottle/vial empty but destroying your other ingredients and poisoning you via some accident while distilling or spillage, rather than just giving a 'dud' item, thus forcing you to take a cure while also leaving the vial (which are about 1/10th of a common clanned salary each, thus 'expensive' for anything but rare use) left over for you to try again with. It would be weird but interesting to see an additional effect tacked on to the positive or the negative.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Considering there's all sorts of poisonous monsters out there that kill you if you don't have cures, I'm not sure making cures rarer is all that good for the game. A simple snakebite crossing the Red could cost you some good people... and then, there's other baddies who I'll refrain from mentioning here. As it is, finding someone who even has the brew skill, who's willing to crank out a tablet, can be quite a task.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 01, 2016, 07:51:32 PM
Considering there's all sorts of poisonous monsters out there that kill you if you don't have cures, I'm not sure making cures rarer is all that good for the game. A simple snakebite crossing the Red could cost you some good people... and then, there's other baddies who I'll refrain from mentioning here. As it is, finding someone who even has the brew skill, who's willing to crank out a tablet, can be quite a task.

See, I find the idea of poisoned creatures worthless when most of them can be cured so easily.  Poisonous snakes and the like -should- be something to consider, even if they are not particularly threatening (and they aren't; their poison is neither strong nor is their combat prowess impressive).  Hunting is not a mindless activity, it is a constant danger that is risky to make a profession out of, but lucrative...particularly when you're the one who brings in the materials for the rarer cures and poisons.

I find the opposite to be true for finding tablets.  They are not generally hard to find, if you actually ask around for them.

I think the best poisons should be expensive and difficult and require even a merchant to help make perhaps - historical quality poisons took a lot of work. Because of the magick changes and how buggy tablets are, poisons are also harder to counter now.

...As it is, finding someone who even has the brew skill, who's willing to crank out a tablet, can be quite a task.

Really?  I don't think I've ever had issues with this.
The thing with cures is just...making them never fails.  Never.  You end up with so many of them because you put two things together and bam! cure.  Repeat twenty times.
You never fail making it and what you make never fails to work.

I think it would be interesting if you had to craft your poison before applying it.  But at the same, there are plenty of toxic substances in RL that don't have to be made, they're toxic in their natural form...so it does sort of make sense to me that the game has moss and leaves etc that are poisonous as they are.  

I think it's an interesting idea that poisons could be crafted and they could end up being useless without you knowing.  I would think though, that you could test the vial without wasting the whole thing...or a master poisoner would be able to tell slight differences in an effective poison vs a dud.

Poisonous creatures shouldn't be endangering travelers much, if at all.  Simply don't eat or pet them.

The venomous ones should certainly be avoided, however.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Case on August 01, 2016, 08:12:47 PM
I think the best poisons should be expensive and difficult and require even a merchant to help make perhaps - historical quality poisons took a lot of work. Because of the magick changes and how buggy tablets are, poisons are also harder to counter now.

Because merchants are so adept at handling poisons? Isn't brew literally the ONLY craft skill they don't get?

I would think it should basically be linked to the same guilds that get brew, and the ones who get the best at poisoning, not the best at brew, should be the ones needed to make "the best" poisons, unless you make apothecary cost more karma, because it already allows you mastercrafting where master tailor/jeweler etc afaik if I remember right were 2 karma.

Merchants are good at making a lot of things, but I don't get the logic there. Any chance you'd be willing to explain why someone who only makes things and is not at all adept with poisons or distilling inherently, should be required to make the best poisons?
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: manipura on August 01, 2016, 08:14:18 PM
...As it is, finding someone who even has the brew skill, who's willing to crank out a tablet, can be quite a task.

Really?  I don't think I've ever had issues with this.
The thing with cures is just...making them never fails.  Never.  You end up with so many of them because you put two things together and bam! cure.  Repeat twenty times.
You never fail making it and what you make never fails to work.

I've had a lot of issues with such things, it really depends on your playstyle, play times, and more.

As for cures... well... X cure cures Y poison. I make 5 of X cure. I wind up poisoned by Y poison. Take 5 of the cure (which has reliably worked at every other encounter with said poison), and none of them work. In fact, the poison seems to actively be worse, adding coded effects that it has not before.

Now... I don't know when the last time you personally have dealt with all of this is, but the above anecdote is an example of something that has happened to me within the past few months, so it's a pretty recent example of cures not being 100% reliable, even if it looks like the cure and it typically cures the thing. So...  ???

Quote from: bardlyone on August 01, 2016, 08:19:00 PM

Because merchants are so adept at handling poisons? Isn't brew literally the ONLY craft skill they don't get?

I would think it should basically be linked to the same guilds that get brew, and the ones who get the best at poisoning, not the best at brew, should be the ones needed to make "the best" poisons, unless you make apothecary cost more karma, because it already allows you mastercrafting where master tailor/jeweler etc afaik if I remember right were 2 karma.

Merchants are good at making a lot of things, but I don't get the logic there. Any chance you'd be willing to explain why someone who only makes things and is not at all adept with poisons or distilling inherently, should be required to make the best poisons?
Because tbh merchants need more ways to be badass and fewer ways to be grind vending machines

I disagree, but, that's just me. You're talking about actual hunters who go out and hunt stuff, and my perspective is from that of a Bynner, which, we all know what a clusterfuck that can be. Are they weak? Well, yes, but they still have a very respectable chance of biting you. I've resisted these before with kickass endurance, but otherwise it's just a red tablet munching fiasco, if you're unfortunate enough to be ambushed by them at every turn.

Then there's other players... and if you don't have the bloodburn cure it can very well ruin your concept for "seemingly" little or no reason (usually there is a reason).

I think being poisoned by something SHOULD be dangerous. I don't think that a cure should be "walk into bar, shout Anyonez has reds" and instant cure. The "newish" code for poisons requiring multiple doses is actually -really- awesome to me, because then its not just walking out with a cure package in all the colors of the rainbow... you better make sure you have enough doses to actually cleanse yourself.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 01, 2016, 08:55:29 PM
I disagree, but, that's just me. You're talking about actual hunters who go out and hunt stuff, and my perspective is from that of a Bynner, which, we all know what a clusterfuck that can be. Are they weak? Well, yes, but they still have a very respectable chance of biting you. I've resisted these before with kickass endurance, but otherwise it's just a red tablet munching fiasco, if you're unfortunate enough to be ambushed by them at every turn.

Then there's other players... and if you don't have the bloodburn cure it can very well ruin your concept for "seemingly" little or no reason (usually there is a reason).

Honestly, this just seems like another bonus to me.  Rangers prioritize endurance over strength, because the wilds have poisons.  Seems legit.

Quote from: Case on August 01, 2016, 08:40:37 PM
Quote from: bardlyone on August 01, 2016, 08:19:00 PM

Because tbh merchants need more ways to be badass and fewer ways to be grind vending machines

.... I still don't see the logic. You want them needed to make top end poisons, despite not having poisoning or brew and it's because it would be 'another way to be badass' - which is literally the same way that they already are (ie: being needed to make the most difficult type of thing x or y), and does nothing to ameliorate or change the grind, or make them less looked to for items. In fact, I think if you want to play something that's not centered around craft and trade, there's 5 other main guilds, some of which actually DO have poisoning and brew. It's ironic rite?

I seriously still do not get why you think it should require a merchant in any sense of the lore or game or IC logic aspect of things, and even the general one line thought on it still makes no sense to me. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Cures can be easy to get, or hard to get. A rinthi elf cannot run into the Gaj and shout 'Anyone have any Reds' without, hopefully, being pelted with bottles of red sun and left to die in a writhing heap of bottles and jeers.

Want merchants to be more badass? Don't be a grind machine. I've played a merchant recently. I could have more coin than I've ever had before, if my char wasn't three dimensional, had flaws, and other things to do than be a grind machine. Or, alternatively, pick a neat subguild. Sheesh. Merchants don't have component crafting, yet, we could throw that in there too, because we need ways to make merchants socialize in the game more, force RP.

The cures and poisons game IS hard for some people, especially when after 10+, they still have no real clue what cure goes with what poison, beyond red, yellow, green. There's supposed to be plenty more, and apparently, there are freaking vials now. I'm glad some of you know all of the secrets, I don't. So getting cures isn't as easy as walking into a tavern and asking, especially if I'm not playing the most likeable chars, or my ooc pals aren't on. (I have no ooc pals, btw, RL sickens me, I don't even communicate with the people in my damned house.... I digress). I've had plenty of chars die, or almost die, to those harmless little venomous creatures. I almost died once because, as a half-elf, the person selling me cures purposefully lied to me about which thing cures what, and oocly, I was pissed, because I knew better, but I still had to eat the damn cure, because my PC didn't.

I like the poison crafting, cures making system. Brew and Poisoning haven't become something I'm super jaded over, because I haven't min/maxed my way to the top with anyone who's had it, and I once created Heramide on accident, and had my clan mates threaten to kill me if I didn't tell them how. I still don't know how I did it, or if it even WAS heramide. Mystery and novelty abound.

*sigh*

I DO have a problem with cures and poison though. I want there to be more than one type of 'green' cure, that has several different looks to it. A mash of leaves, a vial to be chugged, and a darn tablet to boot. I want the mash to be bluish-green, the vial to be either murky, or clear, depending on which type of herbs you use, and the tablet to decay over time, because half of them are crumbling anyways. Only those with magickal 'tint vision should be able to tell they're all the same. The same with poisons, I'm not sure what form vomit poison takes, but if it's tablets, that should take a master to crumble up into someone's drinks, but maybe not be so hard to put into food, if it is hard already? If it's in a vial, by all means, throw it in some liquor and assassinate away. Food though.... some judgement calls to be made there. I've yet to even attempt to poison anyone either of these ways because unfortunately, the random dice rolls I use to determine what guild/sub-guild I play next have not sent me a reliable, long-lived poisoner.

I want a lot of realism, in many ways, but speaking from RL, personal experience making medicine and drugs out of plants, that shit can be fucking hard. I keep overheating my diazapam tea and ruining the active ingredient, and the water isn't even boiling!! Why? How the hell am I supposed to know what exact temp to use when ol' johnny hopkins can't even tell if we're suppose to be utilizing the flavanoids or alkali. The tea still tastes nice, though. Fermentation has caused all kinds of damned problems for me, and creating penicillin from orange peels is NOT as easy as it might seem from wikihow. This shit is tedious, hard, and I have books, and books, and books left to read. .....Maybe please don't make something IG that still holds my interest as terribly frustrating as it is in RL, but possibly spice it up with something less binary for those who are calling for a change.

And yes. craft herb herb into tablet should fail sometimes.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I'm not sure if this comment should go here, but:

I wish that one trick that is available to everyone (or everyone with the brew command) to determine what herb makes what pill were either eliminated or made only available to those with high-level brew (much as a high-level poisoning skill will reveal what type of poison is on a blade).

Re poison crafting:

Why not just make the 'poison' command more of a craft, rather than shifting it back?  I've always just RP'd a little bit of brewing when I go to apply a poison with the poison command.  While I definitely like the idea of more variables/unknowns in the poisoning/curing process (sort of a la nesselin's comment on how it used to work), I'm not quite sure I'm keen on the idea of a person without the 'poison' skill having the ability to apply poisons to a blade -- that strikes me as a skill.

If it isn't the case already, you should get negatives to 'poison' (at least in terms of applying it) if you are wearing gloves -- perhaps there could be a mastercraft 'tainting gloves' or something.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

August 02, 2016, 11:03:48 AM #21 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:07:35 AM by Reiloth
I think because poison isn't a craft skill, so to retrofit it to be a craft skill is a needless amount of work. May as well look under the hood of 'poison' as it pertains to being a non-crafting skill.

Relating it to 'potions' is interesting...Maybe there's something there. Having a trait 'Poison Resistance' (Unsure if there is this already) that could be built up over time would be rather cool too. In that way, a poisoner could try their wares, and also be more acutely aware of what they are being poisoned with.

Conversely, it may be interesting if people who are poisoned do not immediately know what poison they have. The onset of poison is typically quite fast, especially with weapons grade poisons. For weapons -- It makes sense. For ingested poisons, it might be cool to add agents that either enhance the speed or the potency of the poison.

For example -- You can make a 'Bloodburn' poison that is incredibly strong, but takes a long time to kick in. So if you were to poison someone's food, they would appear to be fine for a few hours, before suddenly a very potent version of Bloodburn kicks in.

Along these lines, it would be cool if tablets weren't a cure-all, but resolved a certain amount of the poison. So, a lesser cure for Bloodburn may stave off the effects for a certain amount of time, but the symptoms/poison effect will kick back in after that amount of time. A moderate cure for Bloodburn may help relieve the symptoms, but does not purge the poison from the body. A more potent version of the cure, derived from more rare materials, immediately cures the symptoms and purges the poison from the body.

For Terradin, a lesser cure may ameliorate the need to throw up your insides for a few hours, but then kicks back in. A moderate cure treats the symptoms, but does not purge the poison, and it may kick back in as long as you are affected by 'poison'. A more potent version of the cure, derived from more rare materials, immediately cures the symptoms and purges the poison from the body.

Also, being able to brew concoctions of combinations of poisons -- Skelebaine and Terradin, Peraine and Bloodburn, Heramide and Grishen -- May make for an even scarier unknown when facing a trained assassin. This is already possible via weapons (tainting two weapons with two different poisons), but allowing for more variability with ingested poison may make for interesting RP/plot opportunities as well.

Also, being able to administer a cure to someone else who is otherwise incapacitated would be nice. Say, a cure to Heramide by forcing them to swallow a tablet or drink from a vial.

Also, being able to craft an airborne poison (someone mentioned poison in incense earlier) would be a dream come true. Sleeping gas, anyone?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

While we're at it: one nasty poison became extremely rare with the closure of Tuluk.  I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm down with extremely rare poisons. Peraine and Heramide shouldn't be growing on a tree, and honestly, I think most poison is easy to find if you know where to look.

It'd be cool if it related to the 'rare forageable' table stuff that Nergal rolled out with the Salt Flats, or if it could become related to that. So that even skinning it off a creature became rarer and less procedural. Perhaps even skinning it from a creature might poison you. Similarly, plucking it from a tree might poison you (Some poison already does this, but not all).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Foraging for poisons just makes it available to those with the most patience and ability to sink hours of time into boring tedium.

At least having to hunt or search dangerous areas for them provides some risk vs reward.

I do like the idea of making poisons a "craftable from raw materials" gig rather than a "pick and go" one.

Maybe could make it so perraine bits and heramide bits have to be crafted into a poison off the brew skill?

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 01:51:26 PM
Maybe could make it so perraine bits and heramide bits have to be crafted into a poison off the brew skill?

This, I like.

You craft components into a 'brewed up' poison that you can then hold and poison with.

This would require brew/poison to be flattened, so that you don't need to branch one from the other. Which I think should be the case anyways. Poisoning without tablets is dumb.

~Jack Vance~

Or you can have the poison skill have crafting attached to it, rather than being a binary y/n application skill.

In keeping with Manipura's observation, some deadly poisons do exist in raw natural form.  I just think that  a.  If they are off a creature, that creature should probably be really scary to deal with. and b. If they're off a plant, it would be nice if there were anti-farming measures, like random spawn locations or something.

Most strong poisons, I'd like to see as the result of a good poisoner's crafting rather than something that is plucked directly out of corpse or plant.  Perhaps even multiple stages of crafting, as exist in other items, i.e. Heramide becomes a strong grishen mixture with an accelerant or something.

Overall weakening of poisons across the board, but lower access to cures and a crafting process to strengthen weak natural poisons or moderate natural poisons?  Blam.  We get to see bloodburn and such as viable again, and bloodburn creatures become not a -grave- concern, but a concern again.

The sources of peraine in game currently, I feel are reasonably hard to get.  Heramide?  ::)

Bloodburn already is kind of viable, if you find someone without a cure for it, like, say, someone fresh out of chargen, with no contacts yet, particularly if off-peak, bonus points if in isolated area, yet more if elf or breed. Bloodburn is the name for general poison, yes? I don't think it should be as viable as it already is. Should significantly weaken you, but, without a cure it can damn sure be deadly. I feel if you absolutely, positively must kill someone, nine times out of ten you should have to step up your poison game.

...soooo...general poison is good for killing newbies but becomes obsolete the moment someone makes friends or plays in the time where they can buy a cure.

Thank you for contributing to exactly why I had these thoughts in the first place.

I honestly don't think general poison should be as potentially deadly as it is. The health damage effect is, understandable, but I'd rather that lessened and maybe some temp stat damage depending on potency, so, you know, you'd be feeling it, and you definitely wouldn't want to be fighting or doing much of anything dangerous under the influence of it. Bloodburn is pretty easy to get though, from what I gather. The rarer poisons should be more deadly (have had experiences with terradin, no need for a change there, unless to lower potencies for lesser brews), the more common ones more focused on weakening the opponent, in my opinion.

I would think the lesser poisons should serve as either a warning, or a debuff in a fight (or a practical joke).

August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM #32 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:56:51 PM by Reiloth
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp), no HP regen while active, and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

I agree with Armaddict's assessment -- There should be natural sources of poison, but also crafted/concocted sources of poison. Allowing for a less binary system (as Delirium points out) = better. Having malleability and creativity inbetween which poisons to interact with each other, potentially enhancing or negating their effects, seems like fun to me. Also not knowing if your poison is potent, and needing to test it out first.

So you might be able to craft a 1-3 use 'poison object' that you can poison with. The poison inside lasts until it's used (unless we make poisons decay, hurr hurr). So you can test an application, see what the effects are (either on yourself or a willing victim. Or unwilling victim!) and then put it to the real test. Bonus points if the poison isn't the same every time, especially if it's a low quality mix.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp) and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

That goes in with what I think we were both saying; weakening across the board of poisons, but making strong, potent poisons a craftable.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 02, 2016, 04:55:28 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 04:54:25 PM
I'd rather see Bloodburn do DoT but not enough to kill (say 20-30hp) and temporary stat damage ala Spice Use Comedown. The current DoT until death seems rather extreme for a 'general poison'.

That goes in with what I think we were both saying; weakening across the board of poisons, but making strong, potent poisons a craftable.

Definitely yes. I would much rather see natural poisons be fewer and far between, and crafted poisons be more of a thing in the game. If that means weakening poisons overall, i'm down. Some of them seem rather OP anyways.

~Jack Vance~

I'm not sure I'm seeing the proposal and how it'd be different from where things are now.  Right now, you need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item (hopefully harder to find the deadlier the poison).
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply that item to the blade.

Under the proposal (as I understand it so far), you'd need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item.
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft that item into a poison.
3. to find someone with the 'posioning' skill to apply it to the blade.

Ok, given all that, I LIKE the idea... also, I like the idea of being able to increase your poisoning skill with something besides "You slip and cut yourself", particularly if cures will be fewer and further between.

It would be nice if a poison skill check were performed upon asssessing a concoction, and if it's low enough, perhaps providing a false return on the "sheen" (which would not tell you potency) like value does for items.

Quote from: nauta on August 02, 2016, 05:37:32 PM
I'm not sure I'm seeing the proposal and how it'd be different from where things are now.  Right now, you need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item (hopefully harder to find the deadlier the poison).
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply that item to the blade.

Under the proposal (as I understand it so far), you'd need:

1. to send someone on a fetch quest for a certain item.
2. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft that item into a poison.
3. to find someone with the 'posioning' skill to apply it to the blade.

Slight ammendment would be:

1. to find someone to gather the materials for the poison. This is potentially harmful, and has a medium risk/reward.
2. to find someone with the 'brew' skill to craft that item/those items into a poison. This is potentially harmful, and has a medium-high risk/reward.
3. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to craft poisons into each other, or to add accelerants/modifier items to potentially enhance/detract from the poison. This is definitely harmful, and has a high risk/reward.
4. to find someone with the 'poisoning' skill to apply it to a blade, or an ungent, or food, or water, or a perfume, or etc. This is definitely potentially harmful, but precautions could be taken to reduce the chance of success/harm to yourself. Wearing gloves means you succeed less, but also greatly reduces the chances of harming yourself during the process.

This translates pretty directly to RL in my experience. Any sort of gloves I wear at work reduce my tactile capabilities, as I don't have direct 'touch' with the objects I am working with. However, if I don't work with gloves, i'm directly exposed to chemicals/paints/toxins that gloves would otherwise protect me from. Perhaps certain poisons could be 'contact' poisons, so one must wear gloves to poison with them.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 05:39:25 PM
Ok, given all that, I LIKE the idea... also, I like the idea of being able to increase your poisoning skill with something besides "You slip and cut yourself", particularly if cures will be fewer and further between.

It would be nice if a poison skill check were performed upon asssessing a concoction, and if it's low enough, perhaps providing a false return on the "sheen" (which would not tell you potency) like value does for items.

I'd personally like to see 'telling what poison is on the blade via color' removed, and for someone to have to 'test' the blade. Based on your poison resistance (hidden skill) you either succumb to the effects of the poison without wiping it off, or you resist and discover what poison is on it. I mean, does that blade really have a 'red/yellow/black/green' sheen? That's sort of silly.

>test blade
You test the blade and believe it to be heramide.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on August 02, 2016, 05:51:34 PM
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 02, 2016, 05:39:25 PM

I'd personally like to see 'telling what poison is on the blade via color' removed, and for someone to have to 'test' the blade. Based on your poison resistance (hidden skill) you either succumb to the effects of the poison without wiping it off, or you resist and discover what poison is on it. I mean, does that blade really have a 'red/yellow/black/green' sheen? That's sort of silly.

>test blade
You test the blade and believe it to be heramide.

http://imgur.com/UZtLkcp

August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM #40 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:58:33 PM by Dresan
One of the biggest problems with poison is there is no real variation in potency. There should be a potency rating to poisons:

weak/mild/strong/deady

In the wilds you should be able to find natural occuring poisons but the majority should be weak and mild, with some strong scattered in interesting places. Then you can take two mild poisons and brew them into a strong poison, or take two strong poisons and brew them into a deadly poison.

A more potent poison should have three effects:
1. Greater chance for it to actually apply on your victim (but harder to apply on an object thus greater need of high levels of poison skill).
2. Take effect immediately and counters victims endurance/resistances bonuses.
3. Hurt much more

Imagine if a deadly brew of common poison hit someone for four times the normal effect per pulse.  Or if skellebain has a instant and stronger disorienting experience.   It doesn't mean a person still can't flee, flee and swallow tablet, but I bet their heart will skip a beat in the process. It will also make searching out and making these poisons more rewarding.

The other thing I wanted to suggest is to allow chopping and slashing weapons to be poisoned as well, mostly for variety sake (maybe with a certain level of poison skill).  Lastly, master poisoners should be able to add more than one poison to an object.

Quote from: Dresan on August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
some stuff said...

I like this. Rather than replacing the poison skill, brew could be used instead to craft poisons. Brew would probably need to be redone for poisons and cures, however. As it is, there's little to no failure in it (at least, from my experience). In real life, brewing is a pretty delicate process. A critical failure in brewing the poisons could lead to you inhaling the toxic vapors, resulting in you being at least slightly affected by the toxins.

Everything Dresan just said: +1.

I amend what I said earlier. Dresan's idea.... is what I'd like to see poisoning be.

Quote from: Dresan on August 02, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
some stuff said...

Even if it was as simple as brew vial snakegland snakegland snakegland I'd dig that.
You manage to concentrate the venom
You create a vial of blood-colored liquid
or
While doing some crazy brew-thing you inhale some vapors. Whoops.
You're poisoned.

Turning brewing into more of a crafting skill with failures resulting in poisoning self. Instead of the tabletfactory + soapmaking skill combined, which it is currently.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

If you have real if need for that thing, you will mess with anyone probably if you character -truly- needs it that is. Other wise whats the point in the first place.

Quote from: Hauwke on August 21, 2016, 08:25:42 AM
If you have real if need for that thing, you will mess with anyone probably if you character -truly- needs it that is. Other wise whats the point in the first place.

... I am be got you I don't cry?

Sorry I posted that at like 1am.

Basically I meant  if you really need something you are going to go do x y z for it anyway.

i can tell you where to get so many super dangerous poisons other than that soh lanah kah one.

but you won't like what you have to do to get them.

first, you have to [redacted] a [censored] in the [deleted].

then you have to [null] your [invalid].

then you have poison.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Put the most dangerous poisons on the dangerous critters who you can't get a free-kill with archery on.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 22, 2016, 07:45:23 PM
Put the most dangerous poisons on the dangerous critters who you can't get a free-kill with archery on.

+1. Make them sentinel so they can't be hit with archery.

~Jack Vance~

I always saw that as kind of a cop out and nonsensical.

It's easy. Put them in places with storms or tight corridors that you can't see more than 2 rooms.

August 23, 2016, 04:15:46 AM #52 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:21:29 AM by Synthesis
The most dangerous poison in the game actually loads in a shop on a random basis.

It's not even super-rare, if you play off-peak and can grab it before the veteran peak-players start logging in.

#justsayin

And for what seems like years and years, a peraine throwing dagger loaded in the Salarr shop in Luir's on every reboot, because I guess some scrublord had sold it to Salarr and someone pulled a zone save.  Doesn't load anymore though  :'(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 04:15:46 AM
The most dangerous poison in the game actually loads in a shop on a random basis.

It's not even super-rare, if you play off-peak and can grab it before the veteran peak-players start logging in.

#justsayin
Always thought this was silly. It makes no sense for multiple reasons.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 04:15:46 AM
And for what seems like years and years, a peraine throwing dagger loaded in the Salarr shop in Luir's on every reboot, because I guess some scrublord had sold it to Salarr and someone pulled a zone save.  Doesn't load anymore though  :'(

I remember this and am glad it got fixed.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I saw the tiniest mention of poison rework in this weeks devnotes.

Does anyone know exactly what was changed and if it relates to any of the suggestions in this thread?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

well for starters, i imagine certain poisons are more likely to take, some are less likely some spawn in different areas, some spawn less.

or maybe some of them have been made less/more dangerous? maybe tablets are less effective? i do not know.

i can guess that maybe they're working to make tablets less of an instant fix and more of a gradual treatment process.

Quote from: evilcabbage on August 23, 2016, 07:01:10 PM
well for starters, i imagine certain poisons are more likely to take, some are less likely some spawn in different areas, some spawn less.

or maybe some of them have been made less/more dangerous? maybe tablets are less effective? i do not know.

i can guess that maybe they're working to make tablets less of an instant fix and more of a gradual treatment process.

Well, if that's the case, I sure hope they're making the poisons less wtfpwnage if untreated, or that's going to cause a hillarious massacre sooner or later.

I like the idea of crafting new poisons, but not tied to the brew skill. I would expect it be tied to poisoning, or a poisonmaking skill that branches from poisoning. If it were to exist let assassins get it to master, rangers to advanced, and subguilds to journeyman/advanced. Giving assassin the realm of mastercrafting poisons sounds awesome and fitting with the flavor of the guild. All the plants in the game and knowledge about them are already filling my mind with possibilities.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Well I looked up refactoring and it may just mean that they are trimming the code to make it more efficient, depending on how they are using the term.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 24, 2016, 07:54:59 AM
Well I looked up refactoring and it may just mean that they are trimming the code to make it more efficient, depending on how they are using the term.

considering the horror stories you hear about this code, i imagine they trimmed the code down to make it more efficient, yes.

a game i loved to death, warzone 2100, was released as freeware and a group called the warzone resurrection project took it up. there were comments made in their forums (eons ago) that the code they had to work with was an absolute nightmare - described as rubber bands and duct tape and bandaids used to hold the whole thing together.

i imagine arm code is similar right now - rubber bands, duct tape, and bandaids.

I welcome the cleaning of the code, however, I think this thread is loaded with good ideas and if they are going to change weapon properties (IE. fire arrows) then ironing out the poisons in game doesn't seem like to tall of an ask. I hope some of it is in the works.