More Decay Things

Started by nauta, July 31, 2016, 01:14:24 PM

July 31, 2016, 01:14:24 PM Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:22:28 PM by nauta
So, I was thinking, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea.  I think I'll separate it into three ideas, since they are slightly independent.

1. Poisons decay/spoil like foods.

2. Taints (on weapons) wear off after a time (say, 1 IG year).

3. Taints can't be sold inside Allanak to NPCs.

This would up the demand for taints, but since some are very hard to obtain, it might make some taints extremely rare.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Anyhoo, thoughts?

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Not particularly a fan.

I am still not a fan of food spoilage code. It's screwed with clans that have rooms which respawn a limited number of specialty food items per reboot, that still are not fixed afaik, though the game has been crashing so much of late that it's hard to tell if the particular room I speak of has been fixed since I bugged it for that reason.

I would like to see taints wear off a weapon after 1 kill or 2 kills, but I don't know if that's a thing that's already in place or not.

Further, you get into a situation where some taints literally come from rocks. Rocks don't go bad. That makes no sense. If something will make you sick, it will make you sick. I don't think something that's likely to make you sick is likely to make you -less- sick as it gets older, unless we're talking about a scale of years.

Some taints can be sold to npcs, some cannot. The ones that can are usually also useful for other things or are coded as herbs and thus make sense as something that an herbalist would trade in, and thus it makes less sense to me that they suddenly would stop trading in an herb, given that that is their profession.

That's just my take on it though.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

1 ig year is so long as to be pointless. I'm not a fan of decay or wear and tear and other micromanagement silliness. People here seem to love it though.

I dislike the idea.  I was, and still am, one of the people who was not a huge fan of the food decay.  Not that I don't appreciate the work staffside that went in to it...I appreciate the effort, just not the outcome.

It didn't take long for me to just get frustrated with the whole thing.  I lost count of the number of times I was unable to get a tasty treat to someone, because log in times didn't mesh, and the food spoiled (repeatedly) or I was unable to make something tasty for a friend because it took three ingredients and I couldn't manage to get them all in the same period of time, when the friend was around, and was able to get and quickly eat the food I made them.  It started to feel silly that people were waiting the better part of a game year for something like, a specific fruit, just because log in times of two players didn't jive.  Or that I couldn't make a treat for a friend for the same reasons.
People seemed to think that the players against this changed just wanted to be able to amass huge stacks of food, when really it was because it became very inconvenient on an OOC level to get perishables to other players.

If poisons suddenly became perishable too, despite the fact that some are from things that wouldn't quickly spoil, I don't think I'd be too happy about it. 
And like bardlyone said, herbalists deal in herbs and other plants, so it makes sense that some poisons end up for sale in an herbalist's shop, being herbs and all.

I'm a fan of anything that makes people poorer, and forces them to deal with survival and/or other characters.

Decay all the things!

Make poison unavailable from shops!

Woo!

Armageddon doesn't need to be anymore of a chore to play than it already is.

Although yeah, that herbalist should probably be fucked up by the templarate for fragrantly breaking the law for several hundred years.

Quote from: Yam on July 31, 2016, 05:07:33 PM
Although yeah, that herbalist should probably be fucked up by the templarate for fragrantly breaking the law for several hundred years.

Well...since the things she carries can (mostly) be used for other things, I always figured she was selling them under the assumption they'd be used 'for other reasons' *wink wink*
Sort of like how shops in RL will sell water bongs 'for tobacco use'...

I have thought though that it would be interesting if the NPCs with those questionable items could have some sort of script where you pay them a small bit of coin to see their 'behind the counter' stash.  Because while some of the items -can- be used for other reasons, a couple I don't think actually can.

Some poisons are very easy to get but sell for a huge amount to NPCs. This really probably shouldn't be the case in Allanak. I think it's kind of silly that a ranger can get rich just by selling these little illegal leaves they find to a public NPC and the powers that be just turn a blind eye.

Conversely I think some poisons are flat out impossible to get without abusing OOC knowledge and/or twinking the fuck up.

I think the way poisons are found needs a rework but I think poison decay would be way too much of a pain in the ass.

Quote from: Yam on July 31, 2016, 05:28:59 PM
Some poisons are very easy to get but sell for a huge amount to NPCs. This really probably shouldn't be the case in Allanak. I think it's kind of silly that a ranger can get rich just by selling these little illegal leaves they find to a public NPC and the powers that be just turn a blind eye.

Conversely I think some poisons are flat out impossible to get without abusing OOC knowledge and/or twinking the fuck up.

I think the way poisons are found needs a rework but I think poison decay would be way too much of a pain in the ass.

Been thinking for the past couple days that poisons should be fermented/crafted with brew rather than just being a raw good.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on July 31, 2016, 07:03:23 PM

Been thinking for the past couple days that poisons should be fermented/crafted with brew rather than just being a raw good.

Would be pretty cool to have them craftable like any other thing and you don't get poisoned while applying it to the weapon, but rather in the preparation. The you slip and cut yourself is funny to RP sometimes but there's a lot of more interesting ways you could do it just using the craft system we already have.

While brewing together a nasty black leaf and a pink-spotted mushroom you accidental inhale some of the fumes.
You're poisoned!

While grinding a poisonous stone down into dust you manage to get some on your skin.
You're poisoned!
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Does food decay work when your carrying it?
Death is only the beginning...

My Haruch Kemad was trying to get research into poisons you put into the incense burners.

Altogether...poisons and stealth are both areas of the game that are functioning, but could be made a whole lot more dynamic and in-depth and contributory.

I dislike how easily cures are procured and made.  I think even the most common poisons should be dangerous, but not necessarily deadly.  I dislike how some of the poisons that are 'you lose!' buttons are...well...farmable?  I think those should be master-crafted by a poisoner.  And I think each method of creation of poisons (there should be varied ways to get there) should entail certain risks that you try to counter.  It could be an amazing crafting system for poisons alone.

Likewise, the poison-decay on applied poisons would come into play.  You need a poison supplier, not someone who does a one-stop shop on your gear.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Evilone on July 31, 2016, 09:06:09 PM
Does food decay work when your carrying it?

Food still decays while you're carrying it, mmhmm.
It decays at a slower rate when it's in a container, or something, especially a closed container.
On more than one occasion though, I've felt this wasn't as it should be for some things.  I don't know if it was just some bug or what, but more than a few times I've had something be fine and then progress to lightly spoiled, spoiled, decayed/disappeared in like, a RL hour.
But to answer your question, yes, it decays while you're carrying it and if you've got the food on your character and you log out, the spoilage timing stops.

Quote from: Armaddict on July 31, 2016, 09:28:21 PM
My Haruch Kemad was trying to get research into poisons you put into the incense burners.

Altogether...poisons and stealth are both areas of the game that are functioning, but could be made a whole lot more dynamic and in-depth and contributory.

I dislike how easily cures are procured and made.  I think even the most common poisons should be dangerous, but not necessarily deadly.  I dislike how some of the poisons that are 'you lose!' buttons are...well...farmable?  I think those should be master-crafted by a poisoner.  And I think each method of creation of poisons (there should be varied ways to get there) should entail certain risks that you try to counter.  It could be an amazing crafting system for poisons alone.

Likewise, the poison-decay on applied poisons would come into play.  You need a poison supplier, not someone who does a one-stop shop on your gear.

Hella +1, well put.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on July 31, 2016, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on July 31, 2016, 09:28:21 PM

I dislike how easily cures are procured and made.  I think even the most common poisons should be dangerous, but not necessarily deadly.  I dislike how some of the poisons that are 'you lose!' buttons are...well...farmable?  I think those should be master-crafted by a poisoner.  And I think each method of creation of poisons (there should be varied ways to get there) should entail certain risks that you try to counter.  It could be an amazing crafting system for poisons alone.

Likewise, the poison-decay on applied poisons would come into play.  You need a poison supplier, not someone who does a one-stop shop on your gear.

Hella +1, well put.
Quote from: Majikal on July 31, 2016, 08:49:50 PM

Would be pretty cool to have them craftable like any other thing and you don't get poisoned while applying it to the weapon, but rather in the preparation. The you slip and cut yourself is funny to RP sometimes but there's a lot of more interesting ways you could do it just using the craft system we already have.

While brewing together a nasty black leaf and a pink-spotted mushroom you accidental inhale some of the fumes.
You're poisoned!

While grinding a poisonous stone down into dust you manage to get some on your skin.
You're poisoned!

these, cause yeah always failing and cutting yourself while wearing thick chitinous gloves/whatever makes me go duh.. It makes more sense and perhaps be harder to find though to have to use brew to make your poisons. Though this would make it difficult for those that branch brew from poisoning.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Quote from: Majikal on July 31, 2016, 08:49:50 PM

You're poisoned!

You're poisoned!

I'd be totally down to help make the crafted poisons from some of these, though there's a lot of poisons I still don't know much about. I've rarely played anything with poisoning ability, and then never had it above apprentice thus far before the pcs in question died.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: manipura on July 31, 2016, 03:29:04 PM
I was, and still am, one of the people who was not a huge fan of the food decay.  Not that I don't appreciate the work staffside that went in to it...I appreciate the effort, just not the outcome.

A lot of the comments dipped into the food decay controversy -- I just wanted to emphasize that the idea above are related to poisons and only poisons.  I'd also think that the poisons that come in rock forms wouldn't decay, but the others...

I think one motivation for viewing the idea as a 'good' idea might be stockpiling.  I was in a clan a while ago and it had something like 20 heramide taints just sitting around.  I was in another clan and it had a bunch of pre-tainted weapons sitting around.  Going through the process of acquiring and tainting a blade is a lot of RP opportunity -- missed in those cases.

That said, I'm not sure if this is owing to heramide (for instance) being too easily available or if it is owing to it not decaying.

Mostly I just had this funny image:

When the food decay went in, my PC grabbed all the candy she could find and ate them all, knowing it'd be impossible to find them again.  I wonder if people would grab all the tainted weapons they could and start killing people with them, knowing they'd expire?

Hehe.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I, too, am a little disappointed in the food decay change.  I spoke about having some reservations on it in the beginning of it, and they've kind of settled in as an irritated 'This is how it will be'.  I don't like being irritated about it.  I just don't think we got any of the upsides that were discussed when it came to be, and when it was presented as an idea.

Cool.  I didn't log in for the weekend.  The first thing I have to do as a result is go hunting when I log in.  But I don't feel like hunting, I wanted to...*sigh, does the things he doesn't wanna do*.

That's pretty much the recurring scenario for me.

Keep some food on you - if it's in your PC's possession, it doesn't decay while you're logged out.

Quote from: Delirium on August 02, 2016, 04:24:14 PM
Keep some food on you - if it's in your PC's possession, it doesn't decay while you're logged out.

That's what bugs me about it.  We essentially created meta-gaming for food?  If I sleep with food in my pockets it doesn't go bad?  ::)

You're not sleeping the whole time you're logged off. Personally, I always operate under the assumption that my character's life goes on virtually - including acquisition of more food. This blurs the line in favor of playability while avoiding 300 year old steaks in the crafting room, or the jarring effect of having to junk food in a desert world.

Quote from: Delirium on August 02, 2016, 05:42:40 PM
You're not sleeping the whole time you're logged off. Personally, I always operate under the assumption that my character's life goes on virtually - including acquisition of more food. This blurs the line in favor of playability while avoiding 300 year old steaks in the crafting room, or the jarring effect of having to junk food in a desert world.

If you can bend reality to make it so that food in your inventory doesn't decay while logged off because of this and that, it's not really a stretch to bend reality towards your food that you hunted and brought home being 300 years old.

The boons of the change don't really exist.  It didn't make anything 'hard' armageddon style.  It ended up being this little nuance that is inconvenience for inconvenience's sake.

"Sorry.  Just realized that my food is about to go bad today.  I've gotta stop what I'm doing to go eat it or I'll be hunting while hungry later."  That adds a lot...why?

I was hunting more as a tribal. It felt like I was really contributing to the tribe and to our resources. Maybe it's annoying as an indie, but as a tribal it really was immersive.

Quote from: Beethoven on August 03, 2016, 02:17:30 PM
I was hunting more as a tribal. It felt like I was really contributing to the tribe and to our resources. Maybe it's annoying as an indie, but as a tribal it really was immersive.

I'd wager that that's because so much of a tribal's time is spent outdoors in hunting-friendly scenarios anyway that it never makes it a chore.

But I'm not demanding it change or anything like that.  Just whenever it comes up with praise, I like to point out that no...I do not think this really added a whole lot to the game in any of the arenas I've been in.  It seems to have been more impactful for clans because it gave their hunting groups a reason to do it (i.e. hunters actually supporting non-hunters).  But even then...

It's not a huge negative (goddammit, I'm hungry again and don't have the time to hunt right now so my hunter has to -buy- food because I only have an hour), but it wasn't really a positive, either.  Net gain of very little in terms of changing the world of food, aside from stockpiles going away,  which was never that huge of a detriment in the first place.