Author Topic: Anvilsmith's newbie guide  (Read 3673 times)

anvilsmith

Anvilsmith's newbie guide
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »
Before anything else, DO NOT GO INTO THE WILDERNESS OR INTO THE LABYRINTH. If you do, you will get killed by vicious animals / thieves in short order. Just hang out in taverns and talk to people at first. Ask to join the Byn or some other group of people.

Here are some commands that will be very helpful to you as a new player.

How to search the helpfiles

help: access the main helpfile
help <helpfile>: look for a particular helpfile
Code: ("example") [Select]
help emote

help map Allanak: shows a detailed map of Allanak.

How to walk

The commands are:
n for north
s for south
e for east
w for west
u for up
d for down
enter <keyword> to enter a place that has <keyword> in its short description
leave to leave

You can chain a set of movement commands and you'll keep going in the direction you choose. To stop all commands, type stop.

If you get attacked by anything, type flee to run in a random direction, or flee <direction> to run in your chosen direction.
After you flee, you will be running, which eats up your movement points. Type walk to switch to walking, which is less taxing.
Type run to switch back to running.
You can also sneak, but it will only work well if you have the sneak skill.

How to quit the game
quit
You can only quit in "quit-safe" rooms, like the dormitory in the Gaj tavern, unless you are a ranger, in which case you can also quit in the wilderness. DO NOT QUIT IN THE WILDERNESS. You are not experienced enough to know when doing so is risky and when it's safe.

How to change your stance
stand
sit
rest
sleep
wake

You can also do these things at a particular table, bench or bed.
look tables: see all the tables/benches/beds etc. in your room
stand <table>: stand at the table/bench/bed whose short description has the specified keyword
sit <table>
rest <table>
sleep <table>
sit bar
You sit at a scarred bar of agafari wood.

sleep bunk
You sleep on a sturdy, wooden bunk.

How to talk

say <message>: have your character say something.
say Hello, people of Allanak!
You say, in sirihish: "Hello, people of Allanak!"

tell <keyword> <message>: have your character tell something to a character who has the word <keyword> in his short description.
tell hairless Welcome to Allanak!
You tell the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf, in sirihish: "Welcome to Allanak!"

OOC <message>: as a player, say something out-of-character
OOC How do I emote?
You say, out-of-character: "How do I emote?"

talk <message>: have your character say something to everyone at their table (only people who are at the table or who are eavesdropping can hear it)
talk It's been a quiet day.
At your table, you say in sirihish: "It's been a quiet day."

Later on, see also: help whisper, help shout.
You can contact people telepathically in-game. The commands are contact, psi and cease.

How to emote

emote <message>: dislpays an action that your character performs.
Your sdesc will be at the start of the emote unless you put in a @ to designate where it will be.

emote smiles softly at the gathered crowd.
The slender, jade-eyed woman smiles softly at the gathered crowd.

emote Smiling softly at the gathered crowd, @ steps forward.
Smiling softly at the gathered crowd, the slender, jade-eyed woman steps forward.

You can put symbols in front of keywords to refer to other characters. Here, <keyword> refers to any word in the character's short description, as well as the character's name(s).

~<keyword>: shows "you" to that character and shows the character's short description to everyone else
!<keyword>: shows "you" to that character and shows "him" / "her" to everyone else
#<keyword>: shows "you" to that character and shows "he" / "she" to everyone else
emote Noticing ~hairless in the street, @ waves at !hairless before #hairless can reply.

The brown-skinned, hairless dwarf sees this:
Noticing you in the street, the slender, jade-eyed woman waves at you before you can say anything.

Everyone else sees this:
Noticing the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf in the street, the slender, jade-eyed woman waves at him before he can say anything.

%<keyword> shows "your" to that character and shows the character's short description followed by " 's " to everyone else
^<keyword> shows "your" to that character and shows "his" / "her" to everyone else.
emote As %dwarf purse full of coins jitters in ^dwarf hand, @ nods approvingly.

The brown-skinned, hairless dwarf sees this:
As your purse full of coins jitters in your hand, the slender, jade-eyed woman nods approvingly.

Everyone else sees this:
As the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf's purse full of coins jitters in his hand, the slender, jade-eyed woman nods approvingly.

&<keyword> shows "yourself" to that character and shows "himself" / "herself" to the rest of the room.
=<keyword> shows "yours" to that character and shows the character's short description followed by " 's " to everyone else
+<keyword> shows "yours" to that character and shows "his" / "hers" to the rest of the room.
emote Seeing !jade equip &jade, @ places one piece of leftover armor in his own chest and one in =jade, although +jade is quite full as it is.

The slender, jade-eyed woman sees this:
Seeing you equip yourself, the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf places one piece of leftover armor in his own chest and one in yours, although yours is quite full as it is.

Everyone else sees this:
Seeing her equip herself, the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf places one piece of leftover armor in his own chest and one in the slender, jade-eyed woman's, although hers is quite full as it is.

You can attach emotes to many of your actions. The commands look like this:
<action> (<pre-emote>) [<post-emote>]
say (in a bright and merry tone) What a wonderful idea!
You say in sirihish, in a bright and merry tone: "What a wonderful idea!"

sit (Sighing softly) [and quietly looks around]
You will see this:
Sighing softly, you sit down, and quietly looks around.
Everyone else sees this:
Sighing softly, the brown-skinned, hairless dwarf sits down, and quietly looks around.

How to check up on your character

stat: see your encumbrance, whether you are sitting at a table and other useful information
score: see your stats, your age, your hunger and thirst level and other useful information
skills: find out your character's skills and skill levels. Each skill usually has its own helpfile.

How to look at things

look: See a description of all items and people in
look <object/character>: See a description of <object/character>
assess <object/character>: Get extra information about <object/character>
assess -v <character>: Get even more information about <character>
look in <container/building>: See a description of all items and people in a given container or building

k <keyword>: see a list of items in the room that have a given keyword, and the numbers you can use to target them specifically
k bone
In the room:
1.bone - a long length of bone
2.bone - a short length of bone
3.bone - a short length of bone

k <keyword> <container>: same, but see the list of items in <container> that have the given keyword.
k bone pack
In a bone-studded backpack:
1.bone - a short length of bone

To target an item via a number use <number>.<keyword>.
k bone
In the room:
1.bone - a long length of bone

get 2.bone
You get a short length of bone.

How to manage your inventory

i: see your inventory
eq: see the equipment you are wearing / holding in your hands

get <item>: get an item from the room
get short
You get a short length of bone.

get <item> <container>: get an item from a container, including containers you have on your person
get short pack
You get your short length of bone from your bone-studded backpack.

put <item> <container>: put an item inside a container, including containers you have on your person.
put short pack
You put your short length of bone into your bone-studded backpack.

drop <item>: drop an item
drop short
You drop a short length of bone.

junk <item>: permanently destroy an item. Use with care.
junk short
You discard a short length of bone.

When you need to trade or share with PCs:
give <item> <person>: give the designated item to the target person.
give short Diana
You give your short length of bone to the slender, jade-eyed woman.

Later on, when you need to trade with NPCs: help list, help view, help offer, help barter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:42:25 AM by anvilsmith »

anvilsmith

Re: Anvilsmith's newbie guide
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
I have written this so I can hyperlink it whenever I meet a newbie. This way, I don't have to repeat myself every time I show them how to emote, unless they specifically ask for help. With the large influx of new players lately, writing something like this seemed advisable.

Some of it, like the section on how to walk, seems redundant. Other sections might need extra information, though I am trying to stick to the basics so as not to turn this into an alternative set of helpfiles. If you think anything about this guide should change, share your thoughts here.

Lizzie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
On inventory - include the INVentory command itself, and add EQuipment, Look Me, Look in [container].

Have a single section to include:
INV
EQ
STAT
SCORE
SKILLS
as things typically checked on a regular basis, for no particular reason other than to keep track of this stuff (because I sincerely don't know of anyone who DOESN'T check these things regularly).

Lastly, PROMPT should be one of the very first things set right out of the Hall of Kings in the first room your character shows up in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Culinary Critic

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »
Your emote section is good, but taking the chart from the help file and plunking it into a spreadsheet (yeah, still on my desktop) made a HUGE difference.  Learning about this after typing ~tressy's for a few months was embarrassing.  Edited to add link:  http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Emoting

Run and walk are also good, but need to include sneak.

You use <keyword> in your post, but don't include what a keyword is.  I figured it out eventually, but throwing it out up front is a good idea.

On your Tell section, also note that using the character's name is incredibly helpful in avoiding misdirects.

On inventory, junk is missing (with a strong caveat that it's gone forever).

bardlyone

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
You might amend to add that if your character's guild is ranger, when outdoors, you can quit out in any room, not just quit tagged rooms.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman’s love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

anvilsmith

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »
Lizzie, thanks. Doesn't the prompt automatically get set to something decent at the start, though? I can't remember.

Culinary Critic, bardyone, thank you as well. I added in almost all of your suggestions.

Lizzie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 08:58:32 AM »
The prompt has a very minimal default with current HP, current Stamina, and current Stun. Most people want to know how that compares to their character's "max" HP/Stamina/Stun, plus Stamina's "shorter" name is Movement. You can also set it to show your physical position: stand/sit/reclining, how you're currently travelling: run/walk/sneak/ride, your hunger/thirst level, and a bunch of other things.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Hauwke

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
Might want to include some of the more advanced things such as setting up a decent prompt, I for one like to use one that gives me all the information the Stat command does just as an example, this isnt exactly a newbie thing but its not far from it.

Jihelu

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
This is the prompt I use if you want a 'basic' one I guess.
prompt |%h/%H|%v/%V|%t/%T|%m/%M|%w|%e|%S|%o|
From left to right...
Health, min and max.
Stamina, min and max
Stun, min and max
Mana, min and max (even non gicks, you never know!)
%w is whether or not you are walking,running, or snekaing
%e is the time
%S is if you are sitting/riding/fighting something
and %o is what language you are speaking
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

nauta

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 09:33:22 AM »
Nice work!

There's also this:

http://www.armageddon.org/intro/walkthrough.php

I've been too busy this week to look closely, but you might consider highlighting where (if at all) there are gaps in the walkthrough/newbie guide on the main website...

It'd be neat to have one of those all-in-one pdf files for newbies sort of like you have for linux commands floating around.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Nergal

• Producer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Thanks for taking the effort to write this!

I've moved it to Player Collaboration, not only to invite people to contribute to this guide but also to showcase the Player Collaboration forum in general.

650Booger

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »
TIL about prompt!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Riev

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 10:59:13 PM »
I like that this is relatively short, and sweet. Not a guide for someone who has some experience with MUDs and understands a "skills" and "stat" system, it seems more geared towards "here is how to interact with this brand new environment you find yourself in".

Don't clutter it up with all sorts of nuance and stuff, this is looking like a solid Newbie's Guide to get people moving around, talking, and interacting.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

deathkamon

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 03:32:01 PM »
If this could be stickied in some way, that would be amazing! This is super helpful for newbies!