Code idea for skillups

Started by Beethoven, July 20, 2016, 07:53:21 AM

You're either:
In the process of twinking
Dead
Or already a master.

I think if people just didn't have to grind up to max in X or Y skill to unlock the one which comes off it, it would eliminate a lot of why many people who have less than no use for skills for PVP tend to grind. For those people who are into PVP, I'd imagine that the vagaries of branching play a wholly different role, which I cannot speculate on with any personal experience, as I've been playing since the start of 2008 and pked 1 person in the damn-near decade of that time.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

July 27, 2016, 09:59:20 PM #27 Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:03:24 PM by Dresan
I would love to see blindfolds for that blind fighting skill or at least a dark room in clans.

At the moment best way to train a weapon is to start with skill boosts. Just a shame it is limited to two instead of three.

I'm curious to see what the anti-grind idea the staff is coming up with though.

Quote from: Dresan on July 27, 2016, 09:59:20 PM
I would love to see blindfolds for that blind fighting skill or at least a dark room in clans.

I was just thinking about this today -- training blindfighting always feels weird to me, because... can't you just close your eyes?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm curious to see what the anti-grind idea the staff is coming up with though.

Gith attacks during pre-dawn hours.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: nauta on July 27, 2016, 10:07:29 PM

I was just thinking about this today -- training blindfighting always feels weird to me, because... can't you just close your eyes?

When you think of Blind Fighting, stop thinking about Daredevil ninja fighting in the dark. Trying to make blindfighting an ic training drill always seems silly to the max.

Dem swirling sands, ain't they blinding enough?
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I don't think wanting to train blind fighting is silly from a coded perspective.
I think ic you're fucking stupid.
But if IC I know you are a great ass warrior and want to see how much stronger you can get while relying on your sense of touch and hearing as opposed to your eyes, to help build reaction time and what not, fuck why not?
It makes more sense with styles that use less offense, say shield. You get hit and you immediately parry/push out with your shield and strike with your weapon, trying to get into an unseen rhythm as opposed to just 'I see enemy I go attack'.

I've always felt you should be able to weigh your self down in combat as well. It's basically a trope on its own and used in shows and books and all sorts of stuff. That and you can make your self Rock Lee or something.

Ugh, I hate thinking of code like this. Someone in another thread mentioned how binary things IC were, you're hidden, or you're not, you're crimflagged, or you're not, and in this case, you can see, or you can't, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Whatever happened to the 'great ass warrior' that wants to see how much stronger you can get while reyling on your sense of touch and hearing, to build reaction time and what not, going to wherever he can, rooftops, training hall, apartment, taking a scrap of cloth and wrapping it around his eyes, and just roleplaying doing this. Log it, and continue to build on it, and send those logs into staff?

Isn't that a thing we can do?

I know it's kind of frowned upon to let your ooc viewpoints of a char or player taint your IC motivations, but I do. A lot. When I play with someone who does this kind of thing, spars with people in the dark, sneaks everywhere, pointlessly and without emotes or hemotes, I get really tired of them, and come up with a reason for my PC to dislike or fear them and get away from them.

However, when I see people roleplaying out stuff like above, I do steer my char in their direction, and try my best to find IC motivation to do so.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

You -could- rp having blindfolded yourself sure, but it wouldnt incur any penalty and you would codedly be that same badass dude. As much as I respect someone wanting to rp it out the code has to support sucjing at anything where the code is involved, ie blind fighting. It makes you miss because you cant see. If you rp it you are still hitting regardless, since there is no penalty.

It would be nice to have a command to blind fold someone though... hmmmmm........