elves and pack animals

Started by Fortune, July 17, 2016, 04:56:57 PM

I know it's taboo for elves to ride mounts, as they pride themselves greatly in their endurance. But is it similarly bad to lead an animal around for the sake of carrying packs?

Elves do use pack animals.

As quotes:
"This aversion to beasts of burden does not extend to pack animals. Most elves have always, and always will rely upon all manner of beasts to carry things around. Similarly, there is no aversion to using beasts as a source of food, as work animals, or in just about any other function other than riding."
http://armageddon.org/help/view/Desert%20Elf%20Roleplay

Elves do it all the time, I don't think it goes against any taboos. I used a pack animal a lot when I played a d-elf, and never got looked at funny.
In fact my tribe had a whole mount-yard for diffrent pack animals.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

An elf will use a mount for everything BUT riding.

What the players said.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

If you're a city-elf, they make pretty good mates, too.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

is it taboo for a city elf to ride in a wagon to another city?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

It is.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: 650Booger on July 18, 2016, 08:42:13 PM
is it taboo for a city elf to ride in strapped to the front of a wagon to another city?

I think this should be fine now.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Per the City Elf docs:

"All elves find riding mounts to be a shameful act (though they can usually forgive the use of mounts by other races). In other words, elves will never willingly ride on mounts, in wagons, or on skimmers, as to do so would be to insult one of the few things they are proud of: their natural speed and endurance on the run."

http://armageddon.org/help/view/City%20Elves
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Are the docs implicitly saying that elves can run on silt, then?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 19, 2016, 01:18:06 PM
I thought this was canon

Quote from: Jihelu on July 19, 2016, 01:26:14 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on July 19, 2016, 01:18:06 PM
I thought this was canon

Let's put it this way: Elves may run on silt. They have full permission from staff to do so.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Although in all honesty. I think the skimmer part should be exempt. It is for the most part irrelevant since more Celves stay in the city, and delves are not anywhere near silt, but ... stuff happens in the game. To forbid an entire region of awesomeness to a particular race seems sort of improper. Don't you think? We might as well say that Elves shouldnt use ropes and bridges.

What? Elves don't ride...not even at githmas?
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Dar on August 06, 2016, 10:36:34 AM
Although in all honesty. I think the skimmer part should be exempt. It is for the most part irrelevant since more Celves stay in the city, and delves are not anywhere near silt, but ... stuff happens in the game. To forbid an entire region of awesomeness to a particular race seems sort of improper. Don't you think? We might as well say that Elves shouldnt use ropes and bridges.

Agree. I think it's silly that elves would eschew skimmers. Especially if they're the one piloting it.

August 09, 2016, 04:55:56 PM #17 Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:06:57 PM by Synthesis
Silt skimmers are death traps, so I don't know why folks even care about them.

If you want to suicide your wealthy PC, just drop your coins and gear on the edge of the Silt Sea for me and walk in.

p.s. my last death was not a suicide...that was a legitimate peril of going assassin/outdoorsman instead of ranger/slipknife and drinking while Arm'ing. :'(
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Assassins are nothing but heartbreak. I've sworn them off.

I must admit, saying an elf would never ride on a skimmer doesn't make sense to me. I thought the idea that they do not ride pack beasts or wagons, was because they are too proud to consider a modality of movement that isn't their own legs/under their own power.

A skimmer is less a wagon, and more 'the only way you can move on the sea of silt'. Wagons, beasts, etc... they're EASIER but they are by no means the ONLY way to travel over sand. Skimmers are the ONLY way to travel over silt, and shouldn't be subject to the elven pride. They just probably wouldn't feel very comfortable on a skimmer, and would generally avoid/not go just for a joyride .... but some stormer city-elf getting a job on a skimmer wouldn't say "absolutely not, I'll run on silt before I ride" because... that seems foolish.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

It does seem  kind of a fair point that skimmers are not powered by beast, but by wind. That may or may not be an important distinction. Elves make use of tools to travel all the time, clothing, equipment, etc., without complaint. I've never understood skimmers being against the rules, but it is what it is, suppose maybe letting them ride skimmers would be a slippery slope that may one day justify them using wagons, as they're not riding an actual beast? I really don't know.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Riev on August 10, 2016, 10:02:31 AM
I must admit, saying an elf would never ride on a skimmer doesn't make sense to me. I thought the idea that they do not ride pack beasts or wagons, was because they are too proud to consider a modality of movement that isn't their own legs/under their own power.

This also raises an interesting question: If an elf could fly... would it?

First off, I propose testing to see if each elf can fly.  Say from the top of the Gaj... but I digress...

What about an elf that knew someone that could help them run easier across the sands?  Is that also "cheating" in the elven mindset?  Or is it just riding, because that is 100% relying on someone else's effort? 

Elves don't seem to object to gear that makes it easier to run, I suppose gickery would be the same paradigm?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I've never gotten a Staff nastygram for flying/teleporting/<insert various other magickal transportation methods that don't involve the 'mount' command> as an elf.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Riev on August 10, 2016, 10:02:31 AM

I think it stands to reason that an elf wouldn't rider a skimmer UNLESS they were the one piloting it.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on August 10, 2016, 01:40:22 PM
I think it stands to reason that an elf wouldn't rider a skimmer UNLESS they were the one piloting it.

Clan of Elves on one skimmer. 
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.