search command

Started by 650Booger, July 16, 2016, 06:07:30 PM

so I read the search helpfile and I was slightly unsure, I know search is a command anybody can enter, but is Search a skill that only certain guilds can level up?
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on July 16, 2016, 06:07:30 PM
so I read the search helpfile and I was slightly unsure, I know search is a command anybody can enter, but is Search a skill that only certain guilds can level up?
Search isn't a thing anymore, as far as I know?
If not, It is a skill I'm pretty sure.

Maybe search could stage a comeback.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on July 16, 2016, 10:09:51 PM
Maybe search could stage a comeback.
You have to search for it tho

you can still enter search as a command, and it casts back an echo.  theres also a helpfile for it.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

I don't think the command/echo actually /do/ anything though.

Last I knew, Search as a skill was only granted to a single subguild, and REALLY wasn't (isn't?) useful unless you already know what you're searching for exists in the room you're in.

It may still provide an echo back, but I don't believe its useful in any functional manner. Even if you COULD master it, you'd have to go into every room searching, and tell me THATS not meta.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on July 16, 2016, 10:49:42 PM
you'd have to go into every room searching, and tell me THATS not meta.

[/wish]

THATS (sic) not meta.

[/command]

;D
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

since I've begun occasionally using this command, it has now appeared in my skills list as apprentice.  will keep trying and let you all know if I ever find anything.

forever searching,
650 booger.
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on July 22, 2016, 04:05:17 PM
since I've begun occasionally using this command, it has now appeared in my skills list as apprentice.  will keep trying and let you all know if I ever find anything.

forever searching,
650 booger.
He was never heard from again.

Search should be put back in the game. The only other way to find hidden exists is to use OOC knowledge, have staff tell you, or to try different goofy keywords.

Quote from: Yam on July 24, 2016, 09:30:23 PM
Search should be put back in the game. The only other way to find hidden exists is to use OOC knowledge, have staff tell you, or to try different goofy keywords.

I wish there was a better way to implement it, than having to find a place with a hidden keyword, searching 100x until you fail, or just randomly searching every room.

That said, I found a trapdoor somewhere once with my Search Skill that people who owned the area didn't even know existed. Search can be great, but there aren't ENOUGH hidden things, and search being binary (either the room has a hidden exit or it doesn't) means its kind of a rough skill to use without OOC knowledge anyway.

Quote from: Riev on July 24, 2016, 10:19:43 PM
I wish there was a better way to implement it, than having to find a place with a hidden keyword, searching 100x until you fail, or just randomly searching every room.

Yarrr, the answer you've been searchin' for be hidden within them tharr helpfiles.

QuoteSearch

This skill allows your character to attempt to locate hidden doors in the room in which he/she is currently standing. All exits and walls will be searched. Any signs of buried treasure may also be revealed depending on aptitude.

...methinks.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

the second part of the help file is kind of what I thought 'forage artifacts' was
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on July 26, 2016, 07:24:54 PM
the second part of the help file is kind of what I thought 'forage artifacts' was

Search will let you know IF there are buried artifacts in the room, I believe... something akin to "something is buried, here", then you still have to forage.

Unless staff went through and made an enterable Steinal, search is PROBABLY only good if you think you know some good dead-drop points.

Or drop-dead points, if you catch my drift. Wink wink, shifty eyes, mason hand signal.

As in, I think when corpses decay, their stuff goes into the forage artifact database, where Deadpool personally sorts and labels them, burying them beneath the sands. Or bury stuff yourself.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.