We need nosell- noput and no give flags.

Started by Norcal, July 09, 2016, 02:48:11 PM

I -hate- putting materials away in some crate and ending up tossing my skirt/cuirass/shirt or whatever else I am wearing that has the same keyword as what I am sorting, in the crate as well.    It happens to me quite often, and it is a pain to have to count the items in a bag that I want to store and makes sure I stop at that number.

The same is true when selling stuff and you accidently sell the container or a valued personal item. Or you give someone your shirt or skirt. Awkward rp moment there.

All this could be fixed with a no sell flag you could toggle on or off (like mercy or nosave). Then to sell, put or give any item occupying one of your PCs wear locations, you would have to remove the item first before you could give sell or put it.  That could be the message you receive as well "You must first remove <item>". Or "Not while you are wearing it".

Perhaps this exists already, and I am just unaware.  Yet if not,  this is a bit of code that would make a great difference.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on July 09, 2016, 02:48:11 PM
I -hate- putting materials away in some crate and ending up tossing my skirt/cuirass/shirt or whatever else I am wearing that has the same keyword as what I am sorting, in the crate as well.    It happens to me quite often, and it is a pain to have to count the items in a bag that I want to store and makes sure I stop at that number.

The same is true when selling stuff and you accidently sell the container or a valued personal item. Or you give someone your shirt or skirt. Awkward rp moment there.

All this could be fixed with a no sell flag you could toggle on or off (like mercy or nosave). Then to sell, put or give any item occupying one of your PCs wear locations, you would have to remove the item first before you could give sell or put it.  That could be the message you receive as well "You must first remove <item>". Or "Not while you are wearing it".

Perhaps this exists already, and I am just unaware.  Yet if not,  this is a bit of code that would make a great difference.

I hate this too... I started using multiple keywords on almost everything.

And when dealing with multiples, it's always good to use 'put all.chalton.penis crate' or something.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

tell me about it. Sucks sorting through a bunch of stuff, half paying attention. Go off and find yourself fighting without the armor you should be wearing, but aren't cause it was the first/second/third whatchaeverkeyword it got used for into a crate back at your home base.

would be great to keep breastplate whatever, and not accidently remove it place it in a crate and go out to get a spanking, by spider number 456.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

Seen this in other games.

Recommended command/syntax?

change <object> [no_sell|no_give|no_drop]
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Thats awesome
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Looks like a good idea.  What about 'no_junk' too?

Quote from: puella on January 13, 2017, 04:25:52 PM
Looks like a good idea.  What about 'no_junk' too?

yassssssssss
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

This is one of those suggestions that I look at and wonder how the game ever existed without it.  Great idea.

Quote from: nessalin on January 13, 2017, 03:42:32 PM
Seen this in other games.

Recommended command/syntax?

change <object> [no_sell|no_give|no_drop]

I don't think it needs to have no in front of it -- after all, it's only 'no'd' half the time. change <object> [sell|give|drop] would be a bit less unwieldy, I think.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

maybe something as obvious as 'keep' like

keep lapis
Okay, you will now hold onto a lapis set doodad.
(Type keep again to be able to junk, drop, sell, or let go of a lapis set doodad.)

And if you attempted to sell/junk item, it might return

You are currently holding onto a lapis set doodad. Type keep again, to get rid of it.

Should probably be appended to drop, sell, pour, junk helpfiles, too, even if it's a different syntax, so that newbies and people not following the boards are aware of the command.
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

I really like bardlyone's idea, to have "keep" be the command to make something unsellable/unjunkable/unputtable. A "no-keep" to switch it back.

Also if something like "keep" isn't doable, I'd much prefer the "change pants no-drop" to say you do NOT want to drop something - and then "change pants drop" to switch it to being droppable...than Samoa's idea of ditching the "no" part of it. There might be things that were toggled by their owner to be no-drop - and they're dead. And now you want their things, and need to switch them back. Or maybe you had something no-dropped and you change your mind at a later date. Keeping the "no" in when you do -not- want to do something, and then dropping the "no" when you do want to do something, is more intuitive.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Without going off on a derail, but on a related slightly-off-topic subject:

Code needs to be fixed to target items from top-to-bottom (in the worn list).

For example, you're wielding a knife and you're wearing a knife belt.
You <rem knife>
Instead of the EP'ed knife coming off, your knife belt comes off, causing your 2 sheathed weapons to end up in your inventory.

Another example:
You're wearing a black leather thong (on waist) and an obsidian shiv thong on your ankle.
You <rem thong>
Instead of the black leather thong (higher on the "wear pos" list) you end up removing the obsidian shiv thong on your ankle.

If this could be fixed, at the same time as the OP's suggestion, it'd be really great.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Something that has occurred to me regarding the no_put flag.

What happens when someone tries to steal an item out of your inventory with that flag? Or if you die and it becomes an item in the corpse?

Would there have to be a check on each item to see if those flags get reset?

Quote from: Miradus on January 14, 2017, 02:09:10 PM

Something that has occurred to me regarding the no_put flag.

What happens when someone tries to steal an item out of your inventory with that flag? Or if you die and it becomes an item in the corpse?

Would there have to be a check on each item to see if those flags get reset?

I want to think that this would be different than the no_take flag that's on, say, obsidian deposits, and instead, merely disallow targeting of the item for give/put/drop/junk/pour commands, and as such, it wouldn't really have much/any impact on get/steal commands. I could be wrong.

January 14, 2017, 04:49:37 PM #15 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:59 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

January 14, 2017, 05:29:40 PM #16 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:18 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown

Maybe I'm just an asshole, but I've always found that being careful is the best way to not put your shit somewhere that you don't want it to be.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Ive personally only had the issue a few times, but I suspect that people who sort through storerooms may have it far more often. If its codable and easy to implement +1 if not eh whatever.

January 14, 2017, 08:17:07 PM #19 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:09 AM by Molten Heart

-James Brown