etiquette in PvP

Started by 650Booger, July 01, 2016, 01:20:16 AM

One of my best PvP scenes involved going out to greb in the Grasslands, or something similar, and I was rolled up on by some Rukkian. I didn't know what to do, I think I surprised THEM, but they attacked first. I got the upper hand, but after a Reel shot, I disengaged and backed off.

Rukkian didn't spam flee. I didn't spam flee. We didn't just go at it like angry oxen. We stood back, breathing heavily, eyeing each other warily, doing other things adverbly.

Not all fights have to end in death, but the ones that do, I should THINK the player would have at least some idea as to why. I got OHK'd in public, daylight, in a shop once. My crime? I joined a GMH that wasn't paying its dues to another clan, and a message had to be sent. In retrospect, a cool way to be used, but at the time? Not even knowing why you got obliterated? That hurt.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've merced dudes for their gear in the city to sell in the Bazaar before without any real preamble than >think Bet his shit will catch a good price at the weapon stand. I didn't have to kill them, but 'get'ing from a corpse is a lot faster than stealing every piece off an unconscious/mortal guy.

I've moderated out a few posts.  If your posts starts with an apology for an attack on another GDBer, you might want to rethink posting it.  The second reason I removed the posts was that they were seriously off-topic.  See Rules 1 and 5.  Thanks!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

as an aside, the only etiquette you need in pvp situations is having a reliably good rp reason to be doing what you are doing. if you despise elves, and you see an elf, and he's alone, and you want to beat him up? beat him up. stomp him around. teach him a lesson. then tell him if he ever shows his face again, you'll kill him.

you might die because of that, but hey, it's exciting to put yourself in positions like that.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on August 22, 2016, 08:55:15 PM
as an aside, the only etiquette you need in pvp situations is having a reliably good rp reason to be doing what you are doing. if you despise elves, and you see an elf, and he's alone, and you want to beat him up? beat him up. stomp him around. teach him a lesson. then tell him if he ever shows his face again, you'll kill him.

you might die because of that, but hey, it's exciting to put yourself in positions like that.

THIS. Notice he's advocating antagonism without going all the way just because you can, and this coming from a player who irritates me. He's dead right. If you hate elves, you should express that hate whenever it seems safe for your PC to do so, but you should always remember that killing indiscriminately does not advance the story, usually. So, you just cornered that elf, killing them, you deprive the PC of the opportunity, and yourself as a consequence, of RPing out the consequences of this encounter. Sure, you COULD kill the elf, BUT, wouldn't it, be more fun to let the elf go and see what they do for revenge? Hopefully, they'll be as considerate as you, and engage in some acts of sabotage that don't end in a mantis head, which can further justify your elf hate and drive you to antagonize more, which will get more in return. If they have any sense, they'll realize, this other player, while they were codedly capable of murdering me in a misguided attempt to "win" armageddon, simply beat the shit out of my PC and gave them a motive to get good, and gave me an outlet for my own need for conflict.

Hrrrrmmmm, that sure is considerate. Maybe I should try playing into their elf-hate plot, or maybe I should try showing them why they shouldn't hate elves. Regardless of which you choose, always be thankful when someone doesn't codedly fuck you right off the bat, they're taking a risk, whether raider, soldier, mercenary, mugger, in order to enhance your story.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

surprisingly, despite how you see my persona on the gdb, i am not a terrible player.

i am a cabbage.

i know all. i see all.

and i have good etiquette most times, unless you push me to the point where etiquette goes out the window. i will only be nice for so long.

Not everyone who kills your characters is trying to "win" the game, Dunetrade.  Sometimes, they're just doing what their character would do or the situation demands.  I believe the OP is talking about indiscriminate, random killing, like the guy who backstabs NPCs on the road without any real reason, they were just doing it to twink up backstab, man.  Even a serial killing maniac has a reason to kill people.  The OP is not talking about that guy, as best I can tell.

To the OP, yes, I think you should always have a reason, no matter how flimsy, and you should try to roleplay it when you can, but it's not a requirement.
Where it will go

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on August 23, 2016, 10:40:39 AM
Not everyone who kills your characters is trying to "win" the game, Dunetrade.  Sometimes, they're just doing what their character would do or the situation demands.  I believe the OP is talking about indiscriminate, random killing, like the guy who backstabs NPCs on the road without any real reason, they were just doing it to twink up backstab, man.  Even a serial killing maniac has a reason to kill people.  The OP is not talking about that guy, as best I can tell.

To the OP, yes, I think you should always have a reason, no matter how flimsy, and you should try to roleplay it when you can, but it's not a requirement.

True, true. I don't see it much but it very rarely happens. Sometimes it can look random, but really it's not.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

good reason to serial kill:

an elf robbed my family until they died, so now i smile at elves in the day, and at night... i hunt them.

bad reason to serial kill:

god backstab is only apprentice time to go backstab that newbie that just left the gaj. yeaaahahahahhhhehehfewfhksjfj newb boots huehuehuehue.

worse reason to backstab:  wtf this mud sux

i think that should put it into perspective for everyone.

I actually read that as wtf this mud sex and was immediately like no, that's the best reason to backstab people.