Author Topic: I Want YOU to Create Some Jewelry and Flutes (or, well, instruments in general)!  (Read 26724 times)

bardlyone

What of handflowers/slave bracelets? (aka a bracelet and ring connected by a chain) - I'd want it to basically be done as a pair of handflowers worn on <hands> but if it's doable, whatever wear slot would work best could be the one they're put on instead. I just know those are awesome and I don't see a lot of them. (Don't think I've seen any, actually) but I think would work well.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a womanís love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
I'm conflicted about the name and some players being confused about what precisely they are, especially if the 'slave bracelet' term is used. I like their ideas, however.
L‚che pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

manipura

Just out of curiosity Cayuga, would that sort of thing be worn on the wrist or on hands?  Something can't take more than one wear location, right?  So even though it consists of at least one ring, and it partially covers the hand and then has a bracelet portion around the wrist, it could only codedly be worn in one spot...but which spot?  Hmm... *ponder*

bardlyone

I'm conflicted about the name and some players being confused about what precisely they are, especially if the 'slave bracelet' term is used. I like their ideas, however.

I definitely wouldn't want to call them slave bracelets in the item name but maybe handflowers. The description should make it obvious what they are, I just know IRL the slave bracelets name seems as popular or more popular than handflower (though both are acceptable)... sorta like the rain stick I wrote, I called a 'cactus rattle', because rain stick felt wrong but the instrument felt right with its design and materials, for the setting but less so its name?

@manipura I like the idea of them being hands wear slot, because I imagine that the design of the jewelry would make wear of other things on the hand (like gloves) impossible or very hard, while not making it hard to wear other rings or bracelets?
What is honor compared to a womanís love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

bardlyone

I definitely wouldn't want to call them slave bracelets in the item name but maybe handflowers. The description should make it obvious what they are, I just know IRL the slave bracelets name seems as popular or more popular than handflower (though both are acceptable)... sorta like the rain stick I wrote, I called a 'cactus rattle', because rain stick felt wrong but the instrument felt right with its design and materials, for the setting but less so its name?

@manipura I like the idea of them being hands wear slot, because I imagine that the design of the jewelry would make wear of other things on the hand (like gloves) impossible or very hard, while not making it hard to wear other rings or bracelets?

That one's onyx and macrame.

If the chain was bone and the coins were sunstone or whatever other stone, or even just bone, tell me that wouldn't look awesome with some of the dancing clothes in game? etc.

manipura

bardlyone:
That was my thinking too.  Though it covers three locations, you could still wear another bracelet fairly easily while gloves wouldn't be very practical.  I vote for that sort of thing being a hand item.  I'm not sure about the name though, handflower.  It sounds very neat, but is it a good fit for the setting?  In Indian culture I think they refer to them as panja bracelets. *more pondering*

bardlyone

on looking up more names for it, 'thong bracelet' 'harem bracelet' and 'belly dancer bracelet' also come up. Really I think the problem lies in the fact that there doesn't seem to be an actual technical name for the things. I favor hand flower and thong bracelet, because belly dancer bracelet and harem bracelet are really narrow and not necessarily right for the flavor, but I'm not a fan of panja bracelet because it's so tied to a specific culture, where hand flower would be more descriptive of appearance for common design, and thong bracelet would be more 'technically' accurate. >.> Either way, all I actually have complete is instruments, so this evening I've got a shitload of writing to do.

BrokenRomance

on looking up more names for it, 'thong bracelet' 'harem bracelet' and 'belly dancer bracelet' also come up. Really I think the problem lies in the fact that there doesn't seem to be an actual technical name for the things. I favor hand flower and thong bracelet, because belly dancer bracelet and harem bracelet are really narrow and not necessarily right for the flavor, but I'm not a fan of panja bracelet because it's so tied to a specific culture, where hand flower would be more descriptive of appearance for common design, and thong bracelet would be more 'technically' accurate. >.> Either way, all I actually have complete is instruments, so this evening I've got a shitload of writing to do.

I approve of the name choices, but would like to point out that numerous items in Zalanthas are based on very specific items used primarily by desert based cultures. There are a lot of clothes you aren't likely to see outside of an Islamic culture, for example.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Norcal

• Helper

That one's onyx and macrame.

If the chain was bone and the coins were sunstone or whatever other stone, or even just bone, tell me that wouldn't look awesome with some of the dancing clothes in game? etc.

Very nice!
I voted and staff let my c-elf ride skimmers and pilot a wagon.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
PLEASE SUBMIT THESE AS SINGLE REQUESTS WITH MULTIPLE ITEMS IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE ITEMS TO SEND IN. THANK YOU.
L‚che pas la patate!
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

bardlyone

PLEASE SUBMIT THESE AS SINGLE REQUESTS WITH MULTIPLE ITEMS IF YOU HAVE MULTIPLE ITEMS TO SEND IN. THANK YOU.

Will do. I'm horrible and a procrastinator. >.> The items themselves are written, just not the complementary information (room & crafter echoes, tools etc). >.<

valeria

• I have a writing page.
That was probably more about me submitting them in clusters as I finished them  ::)

Sorry Cay.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

BrokenRomance

Oops, probably me too. I'd originally planned to do one instrument and do it separate so I could do a big jewellery one (still getting around to that) but then I got another instrument idea after I submitted the first one and submitted that one too...

Sorry!
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Cayuga

• Storyteller
Nope. You guys are fine. Multiple per and then new requests after I've resolved them or you know, you think of 5 more items is fine. But one item per request is a little much! It clogs up our request tool. And while I -like- looking like I'm resolving a lot more requests than normal, it can be a little crampy and takes up a lot of space, even when filtered.

Excuse me for the caps and bold. It was a little aggressive. I roared it in real life and it looked good to type out in the moment. ;)
L‚che pas la patate!

Delirium

• Helper
So... you won't kill me if I submit the first 20 in one batch and the next 20 in another batch...? :D

I'm gonna stop myself here... wait, just one more....
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Cayuga

• Storyteller
That's fine. ;)
L‚che pas la patate!

anvilsmith

Quote from: Cayuga
I apologize for sending in 10 separate requests yesterday. I'll keep it to one request per day from now on.

How much more time do we have before the submission period closes?

path

• they fight crime
I'm not making these, but I wanted to help since I think handflower is too vague but the idea is thematically fitting and inventive.

So maybe...

a ruby-set bracelet and ring linked by chains

or opal. Those are good because they're short gem names.

an chain-fettered bracelet and ring of dark opal

Too fancy, I guess. That would have to be a MASSIVE opal to make a bracelet from it, but as long as I'm playing a fantasy game... I also just decided those opals should be dark. Fire opals are cool, too.

a ring chain-linked to a beryl-set bracelet

a braid-linked leather bracelet and ring
a braid-tethered ring and bracelet of bright thread

(these last two could have shards of gems worked into them in the mdesc so they's still fit the item call)

I kind've forget how long sdescs are as a general rule. I think there's some standard so we don't get line wrap. Go ahead and use these sdescs if one of them seems just right or change them up to suit. I have enough on my list and I'm not going to be making these.

Cayuga - could you take a look quick and tell us about how long an sdesc can safely be before we get line wrap?
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

bardlyone

I plan to get 1 finished for all the semiprecious stones (lapis too, if that's unneeded, it can just not be used, but I love lapis) - but not for ruby, diamond, or emerald. :D

I'd probably go with something more like 'a <thing, thing> set of thong bracelets' since hands defaults to both hands, so you don't wind up with something like 1 armlet on 2 arms. >.>

Weekend writing. Got the instruments in tho.

path

• they fight crime
I'd probably go with something more like 'a <thing, thing> set of thong bracelets' since hands defaults to both hands, so you don't wind up with something like 1 armlet on 2 arms. >.>
This is great! I was thinking as wrist wearable, but on hands would be gorgeous. I have a hard time holding back from stuffing in adjectives and then I couldn't figure out how to make them a pair or set without trashing some so I gave up.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Malifaxis

• Thoughts of the Sixth Age
RE: Handflowers -

I personally love this idea, but it is miffy that we can't have 1 item/multi-slots.  So I came up with a wee idea.
You can have a craft produce multiple results.  If you go this route, you could have 2 identical items worn, one on wrist one on finger, from the same single craft... which admittedly is cludgy, but it might work.

craft turd sunstone into gwb handflower

Your dilligent work produces a turd-studded George Walker Bush handflower

>i
a pair of turd-studded George Walker Bush handflowers

That way at least it will look matchish, even if it is a cludgy way to do it.

Also... sorry if this was already covered in previous posts.  I don't know how to read.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Stop being shitty to each other.

bardlyone

I actually liked that it left you free to wear more bracelets as the archetypes of pcs I know of who seem most likely to wear them WOULD be decked down w/more bracelets, so I still favor the hand slot, and basically just making it a set of them as opposed to one. Then, I'm the type of player who'd rather see 'ears' than 'left ear' and 'right ear' slots, then having most pairs of earrings just be 'on ears' so you could wear 2 sets of earrings but not have it be 4 lines. Ultimately I guess the wearslots are something cayuga will probably change up if the hands one isn't really 'the best', but it's the one I personally favor, for the logic that it literally covers the back of the hands like tuluki hand tattoos, and it would be difficult to imosible to wear gloves with them.

2 sids

BadSkeelz

Don't forget forearms.
janeshephard: You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Miradus: He's not some weird mental abomination. He's just a guy on the internet.

Norcal

• Helper
RE: Handflowers -

Also... sorry if this was already covered in previous posts.  I don't know how to read.

Neither did George Walker Bush.
I voted and staff let my c-elf ride skimmers and pilot a wagon.

RabidMuffins

Might I suggest adding 'a small, translucent stone'
Why can't kanks clap?
Because they're dead.